Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Retained Fire Service

Options
  • 21-08-2016 4:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭

My older brother is looking at joining our local service, he heard that there is recruiting happening in the next year or so.
    I've been chatting to him and going through some of the requirements, and it seems you need a leaving cert or at least a junior cert to apply.
    The problem is, he left school in 1998 without doing either, but has been working full time since, actually having his own business for about 6 years.
    So my question is, can he be accepted without his leaving cert?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Choppy1916

Kevwoody wrote: »
    My older brother is looking at joining our local service, he heard that there is recruiting happening in the next year or so.
    I've been chatting to him and going through some of the requirements, and it seems you need a leaving cert or at least a junior cert to apply.
    The problem is, he left school in 1998 without doing either, but has been working full time since, actually having his own business for about 6 years.
    So my question is, can he be accepted without his leaving cert?

I know with the full time fire brigade he definitely needs a minimum junior certificate but I'm unsure about the retained . Get him to ring local brigade as all counties could slightly differ.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

Generally there isn't a specific educational requirement for retained fire service.
    There normally is a written literacy / numeracy assessment during the recruitment process.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭iceage

There is some form of apptitude test but I'm afraid there is a required minimum of a Junior cert. Don't let that stop him though, if he is successful in securing an interview that is where he would have the chance to shine.

Advertisement