Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Driving Dublin to letterkenny

Options
  • 21-08-2016 4:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

Next weekend I am taking my parents to Donegal, something that they have wanted to do for years. We are staying in letterkenny.

We are driving from Dublin, and I am wondering if there is any thing worth calling to see on the way up & down.
    We can go up and down different routes also.

Any suggestions for places to eat in donegal would be welcome also.

Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

The Donegal Town Food Festival is on next week and is well worth going to see. There will be loads of stands you can get something to eat at. Or if you would rather eat at a proper restaurant, there's a huge amount of choice in Donegal town. I would recommend the Olde Castle Bar.
    In letterkenny The Yellow Pepper on the Main Street is excellent. As is Oasis, in the Tesco shopping centre.
    As for sight seeing you should really go to Sliabh Liag, it's an unreal place, especially if the weather is good. It's probably an hour and a half from Letterkenny if you take your time. Killybegs is a nice place to visit too, if any if you are interested in fishing boats.
    Dunfanaghy is a beautiful spot also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Maldesu

I can't really think of places to see of the top of my head other than Melifont Abbey in Collon (which I always mean to visit but never do). Slane Castle could be an option too. There is also the Ulster American Folk Park near Omagh, but I can't remember whats in it.

Food, however, I can help you with. If you are looking for a place to eat on route, there is Dooley's of Edmondstown, just outside of Ardee, who do a carvery from 12, half portions if required and are very nice (standard fare though).
    If you are travelling later, The Batch Loaf in Monaghan is excellent. Top quality food but it does get busy, so booking might be an idea.

Food in Donegal - well, in Letterkenny you can go to Sage, The Lemon Tree or The Yellow Pepper. I'd say the Lemon Tree is the best out of them all, though the venue is pretty small.
    Around Donegal - The Bridge Bar in Ramelton is excellent but you'd want to get there early - say before 6 if going, small venue and popular. Rathmullan House is also very good though it is expensive. The Red Door in Fahan - call them for a table cos they sometimes are booked for weddings.
    Castle Murray near Dunkineely has a good rep as does the Olde Castle Bar in Donegal Town. If you go to Glenveagh, the cakes in the cafe are really good (the one at the castle, not the one at the carpark). The Fleet Inn in Killybegs is supposed to be good for fish too.

That's all I can think of. Depends where you are going too and how far.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,602 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

Take a left leaving virginia and head to cavan co museum in bjd,full size ww2 trench open,well worth a visit

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭FunkyDa2

The O/H is from Letterkenny (we were up there two weeks ago). This place is over in Raphoe, and I've been meaning to call in at some stage... http://www.oakfieldpark.com/

We've gone out to The Silver Tassie (out the Ramelton road) during the day for food. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,628 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Another vote for Oakfield Park here. You don't mention your parents ages, but if they like good grounds, gardening, nice walk etc, then Oakfield Park is beautiful.

Try to bring some nice weather up with you too please.

Would you consider taking the 30min run into Derry City? With the rate on the Euro you might find it a cheap option as they have plenty of eateries that offer deals often. Food and drink tends to be cheaper there than in Donegal. Plus you could take a nice walk around the ancient walls, or visit the Tower Museum, the Guildhall, the Peace Bridge, The Free Derry open air murals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Birdsong

Thanks to everyone for their replys, definatly lots of options to consider & especially for the restaurant recommendations.

I hadn't considered going to Derry, so thanks for the suggestion.

My parents are late 60s, but well fit & like Gardens,walks etc so i think they will be pleased with all Donegal has to offer

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭JoannieG

Glenveagh National Park - great for walks, beautiful gardens and a tea-room that serves delicious food!

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭FunkyDa2

Here's a place that they might like to call into. It has a pleasant setting, and a nice coffee shop.

http://www.ardsfriary.ie/ :-)

I should say that it's open to drive in, just to have a coffee and take in the scenery.

Advertisement