Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Price of Sunday lunch?

Options
  • 21-08-2016 4:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,898 ✭✭✭

Went to a hotel in Oranmore village ( won't name it in case it's not allowed) but it's in the village and the price for two adults and three kids meals was €64 ....no drinks, no deserts. We didn't stay. Is this a reasonable price for Sunday lunch?

Comments

If ye had starters it doesn't sound too unreasonable. 6 each for adult starters, 15 each for adult main course and say 8 each for the kids meals. That would be 66 euro say.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,898 ✭✭✭gifted

No starters with that. Just main meal.

€10 each for child meal and €17 for main meal

• Registered Users Posts: 8,273 ✭✭✭jh79

gifted wrote: »

Sounds about right to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

That seems a little steep to me, if it's fairly generic fare, but if the food was higher quality then not an unusual price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,145 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Seems normal enough to me, well done on not just paying it though, many would just pay it and whinge after.

inisboffin wrote: »
    That seems a little steep to me, if it's fairly generic fare, but if the food was higher quality then not an unusual price.

Herself had a glance on a table as we were leaving and it wasn't anything out of this world. We went to another place in the village and had three kids meals, two adults meals and 5 deserts with one sparkling water and even with a tip it was cheaper not much but cheaper.Food was good as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭cocoman

Went to a hotel in Oranmore village ( won't name it in case it's not allowed) but it's in the village and the price for two adults and three kids meals was €64 ....no drinks, no deserts. We didn't stay. Is this a reasonable price for Sunday lunch?

Seems steep.
    As a comparison we were in Carrick on Shannon recently and had a very nice meal for €40. Included 2 adults & 2 kids mains. 2 kids deserts also.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 147 ✭✭Ericdravancrow

I remember a place in Oranmore that put up its prices for race week, then one year they just stayed up. Never went there again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Stanford

I don't really see the point of this post.You felt the price of the meal was excessive so you took your business elsewhere, what is the issue?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭blond45

The problem is that you went to a Hotel,,they will charge you stupid money just for the privilege to dine in a Hotel,being there done that wont do it again..we now stick with bar and cafe,s..alot cheaper depends where it is..64e is very high just for main meal.

Stanford wrote: »
    I don't really see the point of this post.You felt the price of the meal was excessive so you took your business elsewhere, what is the issue?

There is no issue. I simply asked was it a reasonable price. Some of us unfortunately don't have the pleasure of dining out every Sunday so are unaware of the going prices these days. If you don't see the point of this post then move kindly along, thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Stanford

The point is only you can determine what is a "reasonable" price as prices will obviously vary by establishment, location, special offers, time of seaaon and even type of menu i.e. fixed menu, a la carte etc. Blonde45 is correct about hotels in my view but the higher prices in hotels are usually so because the hotel will try to extract a piece of the restaurant price to cover other hotel costs which are of no concern to you.

My advice is to stick to smaller Bistros or good quality pub grub and its always a good idea to check with locals to get reasonably priced recommendations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Moo Moo Land

Seems steep for what you got.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,903 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Why dont you name the hotel? Why wouldn't it be allowed? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

It is allowed but I don't see much point in mentioning the name of an establishment that servers Sunday lunch for five persons for 64 euro.
    Because they all do cost similar. There are many places and if budget is a consideration then many places have their prices online, or a thread can be started to ask.

biko wrote: »
    It is allowed but I don't see much point in mentioning the name of an establishment that servers Sunday lunch for five persons for 64 euro.
    Because they all do cost similar. There are many places and if budget is a consideration then many places have their prices online, or a thread can be started to ask.
    I didn't name the establishment because I didn't do business with them....I just asked was it a reasonable price for two adults and three kids (7,6 and 4). People have very kindly responded with their opinions, thank you for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

The 2 adults prices sound about right to me. 30 euro for 3 kids portions sounds steep though.
    Well, if it was the usual chicken nuggets and chips crap then it's steep.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

What age are the kids, are they all under 10ish?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

What age are the kids, are they all under 10ish?

see a few posts up.... aged 4, 6 and 7. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,416 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

It is a steep price, as is common in Ireland.

The price level here is 20% above the EU average, even though our wages are not that high.

Here are some examples from central Berlin, Italian restaurant, 10 mins walk from Potsdamer Platz.

http://www.marinelli-berlin.de/speisekarte

Salads = 5.00 - 9.50

Pizza = 7.50 - 10.50

Pasta = 8.50 - 11.00

Desserts = 5.50

For a roast-type dinner, it should be 10 euro max, maybe 6 for kids.

So the price should be 38-40.

But given the excessive rents charged in Ireland, excessive energy, legal/insurance costs, and high gross profit margins, prices are too high.

Take the ground floor of the Old Brewery, Oranmore, annual rent = 93,600, or 7,800 pm or 1,800 per week.

These savagely high rents are why prices are so high in Ireland.

Note that even with a special low rate of VAT 9%, prices are still too high.

A pub-restaurant in Sligo town operates on a 74-75% gross profit margin.

The food cost on a 10 euro spend is 2.50 - 2.60.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭Steve The Barman

Tree Fiddy

Advertisement