Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice Needed- Work, Loan or MRes before MSc

• 21-08-2016 4:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Hey all,

I have been thinking about the following predicament for quite a while and I really could do with some unbiased advice.

I want to enter the field of global health epidemiology and would like to study for an MSc in the netherlands, which not only offers a wonderful and reputable programme, but also charges just 2000 euro for it.

Now, I am 100% sure that this is the field I want having had experience in it and many other fields of science/health. However, I do NOT have the money, like most people.

I will be 21 graduating with my BSc- so quite young and thus, time is not an issue. I am however, eager to move on from biomedical science and into this field.

I have the following finance options and could really do with some help in choosing which to go for:

1) AIB loan specific to some graduates- offering 10,000 euro with 1year deferred payments. End up with instalments of 200/month for 5 years after the masters.

2) Year out to work- hopefully in the pharmaceutical sector, where I have a connection who is 80% sure they can get me a job.

3) A paid Masters by research which has been offered to me. Would be paid at the rate of 19,000 (tax free) for the year. I would like to stress that while the area of research is not awful, it is NOT what I am interested in- I would merely be treating it as a guaranteed job with the added bonus of a qualification.

Which would you all go for? Would the extra MRes be favourable in the future as opposed to working in the pharma sector for a year (offers about 4000 euro for the year). Or would i better to take the loan and get cracking in the desired field?

Look forward to hearing your thoughts!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

I want to enter the field of global health epidemiology…
    In what capacity? Do you want to work in research?
    I have the following finance options and could really do with some help in choosing which to go for:

1) AIB loan specific to some graduates- offering 10,000 euro with 1year deferred payments. End up with instalments of 200/month for 5 years after the masters.

2) Year out to work- hopefully in the pharmaceutical sector, where I have a connection who is 80% sure they can get me a job.

3) A paid Masters by research which has been offered to me. Would be paid at the rate of 19,000 (tax free) for the year. I would like to stress that while the area of research is not awful, it is NOT what I am interested in- I would merely be treating it as a guaranteed job with the added bonus of a qualification.
    You’re really comparing three very different things here – it really depends on what it is you want to do. For example, an MRes and MSc are two very different things – MRes and PhDs should only really be pursued if you have an interest in a career in research. An MSc could also be viewed as a stepping stone to a PhD, but it’s generally not a necessary step.

The point is, you need to decide first of all whether you want to do an MRes (which generally leads to a PhD) or an MSc. Then you can consider your financial options if you opt for the latter.

Personally, I think too many people pursue MSc courses with the view that they are going to enhance their employment prospects, when often they would be better off getting some relevant work experience – MSc courses are big earners for third-level institutes. But, you seem to have a very specific interest, so maybe it would be more worthwhile in your case, but you need to be able to justify the time and financial commitment.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 longford101

djpbarry wrote: »
    In what capacity? Do you want to work in research?
    You’re really comparing three very different things here – it really depends on what it is you want to do. For example, an MRes and MSc are two very different things – MRes and PhDs should only really be pursued if you have an interest in a career in research. An MSc could also be viewed as a stepping stone to a PhD, but it’s generally not a necessary step.

The point is, you need to decide first of all whether you want to do an MRes (which generally leads to a PhD) or an MSc. Then you can consider your financial options if you opt for the latter.

Personally, I think too many people pursue MSc courses with the view that they are going to enhance their employment prospects, when often they would be better off getting some relevant work experience – MSc courses are big earners for third-level institutes. But, you seem to have a very specific interest, so maybe it would be more worthwhile in your case, but you need to be able to justify the time and financial commitment.

Thanks for your reply.

Yes- I would like to do a lot of field research out in developing countries- which i gained experience in last summer. Most of the global health PhD's I've looked at do require a relevant masters.

As for the MRes, I would merely be doing this as a job to save money- not because I've a particularly large interest in the field. I just thought it could be a job which would give me an additional qualification.

As for the year of work- like the MRes- it would be merely to save money.

I want to go down the PhD route (also needed to work with NGOs in global health) but will almost definitely need the masters first.

So in essence, I am wondering not which route to take, but which way to gain the required money. :D

With that said, which would YOU advise?

Thanks again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Yes- I would like to do a lot of field research out in developing countries- which i gained experience in last summer. Most of the global health PhD's I've looked at do require a relevant masters.
    If a PhD is your ultimate aim then that's what I would be looking at. Epidemiology/Public Health is not my field, but it is generally not strictly necessary to obtain a MSc before pursuing a PhD. It might enhance your selection criteria, but it depends on who you're competing against. If I were you I would contact institutes with PhD programmes in your field of interest and see if there are projects that interest you. For example:
    http://www.ucl.ac.uk/epidemiology/teachingandcourses/mphil-phd-epi-ph
    As for the MRes, I would merely be doing this as a job to save money...
    Then don't do it. There are far easier ways to make far better money. A research project is definitely not to be undertaken if your heart is not in it.
    So in essence, I am wondering not which route to take, but which way to gain the required money. :D

With that said, which would YOU advise?
    Try and find yourself a job if you think money is going to be an issue, but I would also start enquiring about PhD positions. Establish whether it is absolutely essential for you to have a Masters first before pursuing it – remember, it’s expensive and time-consuming, so don’t do it unless you have to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 540 ✭✭✭OttoPilot

Are you 100% sure on the AIB deferred loan?

I approached them last year for the exact same thing (did a masters in accounting) and they said they no longer offered deferred payments. May have changed policy since then though.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 longford101

OttoPilot wrote: »
    Are you 100% sure on the AIB deferred loan?

I approached them last year for the exact same thing (did a masters in accounting) and they said they no longer offered deferred payments. May have changed policy since then though.

Although I am not 100% sure of the regulations, I think it's just for science courses. :(:confused:

• Advertisement
Advertisement