Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shannon Fishing

• 21-08-2016 5:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭

Hello, complete novice fisher here so please excuse my ignorance. I'm going to be boating on the shannon in a few weeks and just wanted some information or more so just to know anything I shouldn't be doing.

I'm just interested in doing a bit of spinning (strictly catch and release) while relaxing on the boat. What I know is that I need to get a single barbless hook spinner. Are there salmon in the shannon, if so, do I need a licence incase I inadvertently catch one? Can I get one from my local tackle shop?

Any other seasonal regulations or fish that I shouldn't be catching, that I need to know about?
    Or any tips for a novice? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭thefisherbuy

Hello, complete novice fisher here so please excuse my ignorance. I'm going to be boating on the shannon in a few weeks and just wanted some information or more so just to know anything I shouldn't be doing.

I'm just interested in doing a bit of spinning (strictly catch and release) while relaxing on the boat. What I know is that I need to get a single barbless hook spinner. Are there salmon in the shannon, if so, do I need a licence incase I inadvertently catch one? Can I get one from my local tackle shop?

Any other seasonal regulations or fish that I shouldn't be catching, that I need to know about?
    Or any tips for a novice? Thanks.

You'd need a state licence for salmon call into a local shop,
    I haven't fished the Shannon there used to be salmon but there rare now, You can go for pike great fun..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Reedsie

You don't need a licence for salmon unless you're intentionally targeting them. Pike fishing is your best bet for spinning but you would need a bit of experience in handling them before going it alone. Unhooking tools are a must as are wire traces, a good net and an adequate rod and reel.

If I was you I'd target the many coarse fish that live in the Shannon. It's definitely your best chance of catching something and though most will be roach you might come across some perch and maybe even a bream or two. You'll need basic equipment and a tin of sweetcorn would suffice as bait. A simple cheap-as-chips whip would do instead of a rod and would give you some great fun. I guarantee you that everyone on the boat would want a go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭fret_wimp2

Float fishing on super light tackle almost anywhere on the shannon will produce roach, rudd, bream & perch. size 16 or smaller hooks, slider floats, tiny shots and maggots/corn are the way to go. In marinas & moorings its a nice way to pass the time.

You can also spin and dabble for perch with little spinners, tiny lures and little rubber lead-heads. can be found everywhere but best bet is under pontoons,around locks and bridges.

Finally if you have heavier gear you can fish for pike. You can use bigger lures and spoons to increase your chances. pike will take a small spinner ocasionally but often you need a bigger lure to make it worth the pikes while to attack, and also to get through the perch.

You can also deadbait on the bottom or under a float for pike. nothing like seeing a big pike float disappear and picking the perfect moment to strike!

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭FollowMyWay

Thanks guys, appreciate the replies. I'll drop into my local shop see if I can get sorted with the items suggested.

Advertisement