Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wildcard Thread 2016/2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 42,193 ✭✭✭✭Scorpion Sting

And Benteke with an injury time winner, you're welcome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,352 ✭✭✭OneColdHand

Sigh. Another wildcard disaster for me. Thats 4 in a row now!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭shineon23

Apologies for not being Mystic Meg.

I don't know many posters' true identities, but I thought I was sure of this one.

Damn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭Deco99

Pickford Foster
    Holebas Amat Koscielny Evans Smith
    Sterling Sanchez Ozil Lallanna Meyler
    Kun Rashford Benteke

Thoughts. Zero in bank

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Toying with this

Foster Grant

Kone Amat Kelly Klavan Evans
    Myler Son Mane Capoue Sanchez
    Ibra Kun Rashford

.8 left over to upgrade maybe Myler or a defender

Any input?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Toying with this

Foster Grant

Kone Amat Kelly Klavan Evans Myler Son Mane Capoue Sanchez Ibra Kun Rashford

Any input?

Upgrade Klaven I reckon

Upgrade Klaven I reckon

Ya was thinking that aswell... think I'll pull the trigger on the wildcard tomorrow...

Different question outside of Sanchez what players should I be looking at to hopefully pick up a raise off of before next weeks deadline ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭ElTel

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Toying with this

Foster Grant

Kone Amat Kelly Klavan Evans
    Myler Son Mane Capoue Sanchez
    Ibra Kun Rashford

Any input?

Lalana instead of Mane for the chance of a double rise perhaps.
    Ibra could drop tonight.

ElTel wrote: »
    Lalana instead of Mane for the chance of a double rise perhaps.
    Ibra could drop tonight.

I'm on the beer now so no way I'll log in now as I'd prob make a mess of the wildcard somehow ha ha... I think in the draft I posted I was .3 off son- sterling making that up be handy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭Deco99

Who are most likely for a double rise this week?

Goin to change Benteke for Deeney and kos for bellerin. Bellerin close to a drop so not yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,943 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Never got to post my WC team but 46 of my 58 points this week came from 3 of the 6 players I brought in.

Aguero (c) who I would have brought in on my FT anyway.

Son (15) and VVD (5) where Sat morning punts

Antonio (2) and Vertoghen (2) didn't do so well.

Deeney (was a WC pick) and Capoue to go.

Anyone joining me this week?
    Very different buzz with it this time round. Late again but it's a perfect storm week to be pulling the trigger. (Homer in the land of candy)

Last year at this time I was in grinding mode and defensive (well from the pov of Top 5k) but now I'm ready to chase value for the first time..

So am currently on

Pickford/Mannone 8.5M spent and there 'till second WC

3.9 Pieters (4.4) Francis (4.5) Nyom (4.3) (Brunt in the end ideally)
    Sanchez (11.4) Firmino (8.6) Phillips (5.3) Kightly(4.2) Hazard (10.1)
    Kane)10.9) Ibra(11.1) Costa(10.5)

0.1 itb.

What say you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

Very different buzz with it this time round. Late again but it's a perfect storm week to be pulling the trigger. (Homer in the land of candy)

Last year at this time I was in grinding mode and defensive (well from the pov of Top 5k) but now I'm ready to chase value for the first time..

So am currently on

0.1 itb.

What say you?

Are you missing a defender ?????
    Like that front 3 !

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭Ziegler1988

So am currently on

0.1 itb.

What say you?

I'd want Alonso in my team and as much as I love Bobby F, I'd probably drop him for Siggy to fund it

Last few days for people that haven't used it.

I'm more interested if people are getting ready to use their second one early ?

Last year I used it to decent affect prior to a DGW and finished the season really well but that was my first year playing.

This season I've not been able to stop taking what feels like lots of hits.

I'm thinking of using it early January and sitting on my hands for the remainder of the season.

Any thoughts ?

I could WC early January to -

Heaton, Pickford

Alonso, Brunt, Jones, Friend, Amat

Sanchez, Lallana, Willian, 5.8m, De Roon

Aguero, Costa, Ibrahimovic

I'm convinced Willian will be first choice by early/mid January.

I can't separate the front 3 but if I did then I could seriously upgrade my 5.8 mid and carry one of the many decent strikers from 9.0m down. Which of that front 3 would you drop ?

I wouldn't be afraid of playing Iwobi, Ox (injury depending), Snodgrass, Redmond (especially after the semis), Zaha (when he returns), Can, Allen or the like as my 5.8m regular midfielder.

Edit - those changes currently would be a -24 hit

Double edit - is it pure schoolboy error thinking of using it so early bearing in mind it's my second season playing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭LostArt

I'm having a shocker of a season (1m+ rank!) so I will definitely be wildcarding in January, at the moment my draft team is very similar to your own but my value is less so my midfield along with Sanchez is currently De Roon, Snodgrass, Zaha and Milner. I am very very wary of going with the big three up top though!

@Klopparama.
    I'd consider getting Rose into the defence and playing 4-3-3 in the main.
    You would be less inclined to make D transfers and can then then focus on attack with transfers.

Using the WC early will mean some long term planning on your part for DGWs.
    I've come around to the notion that BB can be used in a normal GW and the fact that there's no international tournament in the summer could diminish the impact of DGWs. In short I feel an early WC is less of a disadvantage this year.

The major problem for me is the Transfer Window with your plan.
    Costa and Aguero will be price protected when they come back too. (I think it stops them rising 'till the following GW or 7/8 days. Can someone clarify please?) so I'd recommend getting in the guys you want over 3 GWs perhaps and then you get to see this new Brazilian striker for City etc.

Oh I've about 1M less than you and the big 3 upfront is still very tempting. It does beg the question of whether costly X is worth the money if he never gets the captain's armband though.

Costa and Aguero will be price protected when they come back too. (I think it stops them rising 'till the following GW or 7/8 days. Can someone clarify please?)

Yes they are protected for 8 days afterwards.

Yes they are protected for 8 days afterwards.

OK Thanks.
    I thought the shorter break before the mext GW could have a bearing.
    So Chelsea play Spurs on the 4th:the last game of GW20. So can Costa only change in price after that game?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

My take on the early wildcard play it if you think your team needs major surgery. I wouldn't be waiting till the dgws or taking 12 and 16 pt hits just to hold onto it. For me the ideal strategy would be to be happy with your team and hold it till the dgws. However I think combining it with the TC rather than the BB is the way to go. We analysed scores last yr for early wildcard v late wildcard there was little or no difference. From my own experience I played my wildcard early as I wasn't happy with my team. The problem I faced was the BB and focusing transfers on trying to get as many dgw players as possible from weeks before. I feel the BB actually cost me points in the end as the way the fixtures panned out it was best to use TC the gw aguero and Sanchez both had doubles. When the fixture congestion calms down I plan to use my BB in a sgw.

• Advertisement

Can't believe I didn't factor in the transfer window.

Also any manager changes will most likely happen early January and that would also impact on a players attractiveness.

I suppose I seen an opportunity to get the big 3 up front with Sanchez and thought maybe I wouldn't be able to afford it by end of January when they've risen in price.

I'm less inclined to use it now although I did forget about the comparison of early v's late from last season even though I partook !

Thanks for the replies.

OK Thanks.
    I thought the shorter break before the mext GW could have a bearing.
    So Chelsea play Spurs on the 4th:the last game of GW20. So can Costa only change in price after that game?

He becomes price locked on the 26th until the 3rd of January I think is how it works.

Spent a little time having a look at playing 4-4-2 when I wildcard, team will be:

Heaton
    Brunt, Dann, Jones, Alonso
    Sanchez, Walcott, Coutinho, De Bruyne
    Benteke, Costa

Bench: Pickford, Ake, De Roon, 5m ish striker.

LostArt wrote: »
    Spent a little time having a look at playing 4-4-2 when I wildcard, team will be:

Heaton
    Benteke, Costa

Are you dead set on playing 4-4-2 ?

Nah, just having a look at a few different options

Quality team but with defences finding it hard to keep clean sheets I wouldn't be looking beyond a budget defence with the exception of Alonso.

I'd throw in a United defender as a must too, maybe, as Jose seems to be close to mirroring his format of success.

LostArt wrote: »

Heaton
    Benteke, Costa

KDB just isn't worth the cash
    Doesn't score enough goals for that price
    Forward line way too weak
    Who knows what way big Sam will line palace out
    May affect benteke

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,654 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Considering playing it straight away and just tinkering

Grant Pickford
    Alonso Brunt Jones Chambers Ake
    Sanchez Lallana Townsend Phillips De Roon
    Ibra Kun Costa

Midfield looks a bit weak but that front 3 :)

That thought came through my head as well as I suffer through another below average GW. I had same front 3, but Hazard and Sanchez. It meant downgrading Alonso to Luiz and only getting Nyom instead of Brunt. Phillips and a 5.6m max for 3rd and 4th mids kind of dampers my enthusiasm though

Would consider switching to 4-3-3 to get Bellerin in as a second premium def rather than having a second cheapie mid. Something like this

Grant
    Alonso Bellerin Brunt (Ake and Chambers rotating)
    Sanchez Lallana Phillips
    Ibra Kun Costa

Midfield isn't ideal but there might be enough firepower elsewhere in the team to make up for it :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Would consider switching to 4-3-3 to get Bellerin in as a second premium def rather than having a second cheapie mid. Something like this

Grant
    Sanchez Lallana Phillips
    Ibra Kun Costa

Midfield isn't ideal but there might be enough firepower elsewhere in the team to make up for it :o

This is a decent wildcard team.

Grant
    Sanchez Lallana Phillips
    Ibra Kun Costa

Looks good. I'm aiming for a very similar defence.

dahat wrote: »
    This is a decent wildcard team.

Only problem is I'd have to hit the button straight away on Friday as there's not much room to manoeuvre price wise. Not much time to think about it but I'm fairly sure I'll go for it.

Narrowed it down to two slightly different teams if I decide to play it. Basically Hazard vs Costa.

4-4-3

Grant Hennessy
    Alonso Brunt Evans Ake Chambers
    Sanchez Lallana Hazard De Roon Fletcher
    Ibra Kun Benteke

Grant Hennessy
    Alonso Brunt Rose Ake Chambers
    Sanchez Lallana Phillips
    Ibra Kun Costa

Leaning towards team 2 due to it having Costa plus Rose offering Spurs cover.

Narrowed it down to two slightly different teams if I decide to play it. Basically Hazard vs Costa.

4-4-3

Grant Hennessy
    Ibra Kun Benteke

Grant Hennessy
    Sanchez Lallana Phillips
    Ibra Kun Costa

I prefer team 2 also.

Wildcard activated :D

Can't be happy with what I'm left with after getting the Big 3 so it's 2 of them for me.

Aguero + Zlatan most likely as I'll get Pedro for Chelsea cover.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,424 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

4-4-3

Grant Hennessy
    Ibra Kun Benteke

Grant Hennessy
    Sanchez Lallana Phillips
    Ibra Kun Costa

team 2 for me as well - I dont like having 2 ultra cheapies for the mids though so will go for someone in the 6 mill category for 4th mid. Kinda fancy Moses playing in that wing back position. Guaranteed 3 points every game and maybe even pick up the odd assist or goal here and there

Rikand wrote: »
    team 2 for me as well - I dont like having 2 ultra cheapies for the mids though so will go for someone in the 6 mill category for 4th mid. Kinda fancy Moses playing in that wing back position. Guaranteed 3 points every game and maybe even pick up the odd assist or goal here and there

Ya I'm not sold on the two cheapies either. Considering Townsend...can see him becoming a favourite of Big Sam and they have the fixtures.

• Advertisement

I think Townsend is in my final 3 for the last midfielder spot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,424 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Does anyone have that link handy which shows the full list of players who are going to the AFCON ?

Trying to squeeze Pedro in but it would mean sacrificing Brunt for Dawson and
    keeping Amat. He could be insane value at 6.9 though.

Wildcard activated, 352 here we come.....

No Costa though ... Aguero & Zlatan for now.

Rikand wrote: »
    Does anyone have that link handy which shows the full list of players who are going to the AFCON ?

http://www.fantasyfootballscout.co.uk/2016/12/23/the-africa-cup-of-nations-the-fantasy-football-managers-guide/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭Mike Ehrmantraut

Considering something along these lines after next gw

Heaton
    Alonso Brunt Pieters
    Sanchez Lallana Pedro Philips
    Aguero Ibra Costa

Jaku Ake Fletcher Amat

Would have just enough in the bank to upgrade Lallana to Coutinho
    Any thoughts?
    Probably this or go without Aguero and pick someone like Benteke and upgrade midfield. Could maybe keep Hazard instead of Pedro and bring in Alli or Eriksen for Philips

• Advertisement

Considering something along these lines after next gw

Heaton
    Alonso Brunt Pieters
    Sanchez Lallana Pedro Philips
    Aguero Ibra Costa

Jaku Ake Fletcher Amat

Would have just enough in the bank to upgrade Lallana to Coutinho
    Any thoughts?
    Probably this or go without Aguero and pick someone like Benteke and upgrade midfield. Could maybe keep Hazard instead of Pedro and bring in Alli or Eriksen for Philips
    That's not bad at all
    And I wish I had not seen it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭Mike Ehrmantraut

km79 wrote: »
    That's not bad at all
    And I wish I had not seen it :D

Lol, cheers. Hoping to wait a week or 2 and see how Aguero goes, but will have to keep an eye on price changes, one or two changes and plans may be completely changed

So much tidying up to do I'm just tempted to do it now
    Heaton /foster - foster has a lovely run .........may free up some ccash by selling Heaton !
    Smith to ake
    McCauley to brunt
    Jones - not sure maybe keep
    Alonso - I'm possibly looking at bellerin now
    Amat
    Sanchez hazard stay
    Capoue to de roon for cash
    Zaha - I'd ideally likely to keep for swans game but won't if I WC - Phillips
    Siggy to Lallana
    Ibra stays
    Costa - probably stays unless I get aguero in .......
    Carroll to Benteke

Is it worth it ?
    When I WC I'll be holding the majority of players I'm holding now anyway

Siggy to Phillips is happening tonight no matter what
    Lallana is also rising

I'll just do up a team with aguero in it instead of costa and see if I like it ......
    I don't
    Might just take the chance on aguero for -4 and captain him
    If it goes wrong I'll just WC next week then
    Not loving chelseas fixtures with that much invested in hazard and costa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Fairly terrible week to be wildcarding I'd have thought.
    Short week so little time to get injury details and no chance of (admittedly largely mythical) double rises.
    Then followed by a 12 day break in which lots can go wrong as it includes FA Cup games.
    Transfer window opening so todays first choicers may be benchwarmers by the middle of the month.

• Advertisement
Advertisement