Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wildcard Thread 2016/2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Fairly terrible week to be wildcarding I'd have thought.
    Short week so little time to get injury details and no chance of (admittedly largely mythical) double rises.
    Then followed by a 12 day break in which lots can go wrong as it includes FA Cup games.
    Transfer window opening so todays first choicers may be benchwarmers by the middle of the month.

You've put me off using my two FT never mind wildcard. Though it is needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

km79 wrote: »
    So much tidying up to do I'm just tempted to do it now
    Heaton /foster - foster has a lovely run .........may free up some ccash by selling Heaton !
    Smith to ake
    McCauley to brunt
    Jones - not sure maybe keep
    Alonso - I'm possibly looking at bellerin now
    Amat
    Sanchez hazard stay
    Capoue to de roon for cash
    Zaha - I'd ideally likely to keep for swans game but won't if I WC - Phillips
    Siggy to Lallana
    Ibra stays
    Costa - probably stays unless I get aguero in .......
    Carroll to Benteke

Is it worth it ?
    When I WC I'll be holding the majority of players I'm holding now anyway

Siggy to Phillips is happening tonight no matter what
    Lallana is also rising

Why look at Bellerin? Alonso has been racking up clean sheets and yesterday got an assist. Bellerin easier games coming up but no way would I get rid of Alonso.

Zaha going AFCON.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

Why look at Bellerin? Alonso has been racking up clean sheets and yesterday got an assist. Bellerin easier games coming up but no way would I get rid of Alonso.

Zaha going AFCON.

Fixtures
    Chelseas really stiffen up
    Arsenal have a fantastic run
    I may double up in midfield though with Walcott instead
    Danny rose also interesting me
    I am only keeping zaha for this game
    I've almost fully decided I will WC after next gameweek

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Fixtures

I got Cech in as Arsenal cover for those fixtures.

Rose a good option been playing well lately also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,654 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Rose is looking too good to ignore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Fixtures

This has me very hesitant on carrying Pedro , Costa and Alonso . Very likely to move Alonso on as well .

dahat wrote: »
    This has me very hesitant on carrying Pedro , Costa and Alonso . Very likely to move Alonso on as well .

I'll be making room for Alli somewhere now too
    Terrific value

I'll be making room for Alli somewhere now too
    Terrific value

Have him already so I'm sitting pretty.

Any logic on doing Alonso to Jones or even Pieters? I'd like to upgrade Barnes with the fear of Lallana being rested.

Thinking of going Kane for the next two and then switching to Costa for Hull at home in 22. Moving away from the big front 3 now.

Grant Hennessy
    Alonso Rose Brunt Ake Chambers
    Sanchez Alli Lallana Phillips De Roon
    Aguero Kane Benteke

I'm none the wiser really after today's games...there's so many options :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,303 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Any thoughts on this as a WC team for GW21 after tomorrows deadline.

Cech & Jakupovic (swa, BUR, WAT next 3 games for Arsenal. Yeah Chelsea away after that but a few save points would be nice. Jaku is a pure bench fodder at a nice price of 3.9. If Cech does happen to get injured, I've no problem transferring him out for someone around same price range, De Gea, Lloris)

Rose, McAuley, Valencia, Pieters/Chambers, Amat (Spurs have nice fixtures coming up and he's an attacking threat. McAuley because of Pulisball and he has had good attacking returns for me this season, Pieters funnily enough is an FPL fave of mine this year/Chambers for Boro as I think they'll get a good few CS this year - undecided which one as same price, Amat - well he's Amat, he's cheap, sub 5 and sure he's a bit of craic)

Sanchez, Lallana, Willian, Ali/Eriksen, De Roon (Sanchez is my FPL favourite, he's just class, always involved and while expensive he'll usually come in with a big haul, Lallana I can't ignore at the moment, may change with Mane going to AFCON but for his price he's a great asset, Coutinho coming back may slot into Mane's place, Willian is on good form and better value for me than Hazard especially if I've Costa, Ali & Spurs have great fixtures and with no Kane I'll need Spurs attacking coverage, he'd some second half of the season last year hopefully pick up that form for FPL, better option than Eriksen I think!, De Roon - playing bench fodder)

Costa, Zlatan, A. Gray (Costa, top scorer, nuff said, Zlatan great form and I think United will only improve this year, A. Gray I had him in at the start of the season pre Twittergate for him, think he'll be key to Burnley maintaining PL status)

0/5 ITB in case anything changes next couple of days

Big worries: No City coverage at all incl Aguero - can't justify at the moment, they seem to be going backwards this season and isn't worth 12.8 at the moment the form Costa and Zlatan are in.
    Pogba looks good, very good could swap for Alli but afraid of double United coverage and no Spurs.

Feedback or thoughts are greatly appreciated! :D

I'll be up half the night with this chopping and changing :o

Grant
    Jones Brunt Chambers
    Sanchez Alli Lallana Phillips
    Ibra Kun Costa

Jak Ake De Roon Amat

Still having Amat is not ideal as is having a non playing gk but that front 7...

Final team and going to bed :D

Grant
    Bellerin Rose Brunt Chambers
    Sanchez Lallana Phillips
    Aguero (c) Ibra Kane

Jak Ake De Roon Fletcher

2 cheap mids is not how I usually go but didn't really want anyone else apart from Phillips so got Rose instead and will try 4-3-3 for a while. Will get some Chelsea back after their tough fixtures. Couldn't bring myself to ditch Kane ahead of a London derby plus he's a differential now. Roll on tomorrow...until it all goes horribly wrong and I regret ever using it :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭SpaceCowb0y

Decisions decesions...

Looking at going from:

Courtois

Mee -- Vertonghen -- Francis

Sanchez -- Pedro -- Sigurdsson -- Walcott

Origi -- Ibra -- Costa

Jaku -- Holebas -- Capoue -- Amat

To:

Cech

McAuley -- Vertonghen -- Francis

Sanchez -- Sterling -- Lallana -- Alli

Negredo -- Ibra -- Costa

Jaku -- Chambers -- Capoue -- Browning

This is probably my only chance to bring Aguero back in but right now I cant justify the cost. I wasn't paying enough attention the last few weeks and my OR and team value have both dropped big time because of it so Sterling will have to do for some City attacking cover and Costa and Ibra have both done enough of late to cement way i can see to build a team around them taking upcoming fixtures into consideration.

Final team and going to bed :D

Grant
    Bellerin Rose Brunt Chambers
    Sanchez Lallana Phillips
    Aguero (c) Ibra Kane

Jak Ake De Roon Fletcher

2 cheap mids is not how I usually go but didn't really want anyone else apart from Phillips so got Rose instead and will try 4-3-3 for a while. Will get some Chelsea back after their tough fixtures. Couldn't bring myself to ditch Kane ahead of a London derby plus he's a differential now. Roll on tomorrow...until it all goes horribly wrong and I regret ever using it :pac:

Last minute doubts...is this squad better?

Grant
    Bellerin Brunt Jones Chambers
    Sanchez Lallana Phillips
    Aguero Ibra Kane

Hennessey Stanislas Ake De Roon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Invincible

Last minute doubts...is this squad better?

Grant
    Bellerin Brunt Jones Chambers
    Sanchez Lallana Phillips
    Aguero Ibra Kane

Hennessey Stanislas Ake De Roon

Looks an improvement over Fletcher, losing Rose for Jones is less attacking potential, but still go for latest version.

Invincible wrote: »
    Looks an improvement over Fletcher, losing Rose for Jones is less attacking potential, but still go for latest version.

Cheers went with latest version but switched Jones for McAuley for a Pulis double up as didn't fancy Jones' fixtures.

Afobe 5.6 could be in mine now that he has turned down AFCON
    Would allow 5 start Big defenders and a stronger midfield
    Defo considering 15 starters and different formations given the value in defence and the likes of Matty Phillips j rod and snodgrass in midfield

Hhhmm snoddy indeed

To keep aguero now or not ?

• Advertisement

I'm holding , Harry Kane situation....I'll stick it out for a couple more weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Hey everybody

Hey everybody

Keeping or selling aguero ?

dahat wrote: »
    I'm holding , Harry Kane situation....I'll stick it out for a couple more weeks.

We know Harry Kane starts every week though

We know Harry Kane starts every week though

Aguero did more in 45 than Harry did on the two previous games.....

Keeping or selling aguero ?

Not sure yet. It was fairly inevitable I'd end up playing it straight away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Not sure yet. It was fairly inevitable I'd end up playing it straight away.

You not holding for a potential double this year? Although this has probably been discussed already and I've missed it - apologies!

Lemlin wrote: »
    You not holding for a potential double this year? Although this has probably been discussed already and I've missed it - apologies!

I'm in two minds now. I wouldn't hold it for the doubles if I'm not happy with my team. I think the value of that is overstated.

I'm in two minds now. I wouldn't hold it for the doubles if I'm not happy with my team. I think the value of that is overstated.

I agree with this. I made changes last year that I wouldn't even have considered if I hadn't the wildcard. Like taking punts on players that weren't nailed on just because their team had a double or dropping form players to get doublers in. Glad I played it now this week as I wasn't happy with my squad.

Easily the biggest current conundrum.

I think I will but can't give a good reason why other than his history. He certainly doesn't seem as effective since Pep came in.

Everton away next...he doesn't have a great record there iirc. Will wait and see how the Costa/Kane show goes on Wednesday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭Mike Ehrmantraut

Most likely Wildcard this week, but who to bring in, is about as clear as mud.

Aguero or not, that's the main question??? Had a team made out but missed out on last nights price changes so that's put paid to that.

Easily the biggest current conundrum.

I think I will but can't give a good reason why other than his history. He certainly doesn't seem as effective since Pep came in.

Gabriel Jesus this week too

I think I'll have to bid a fond farewell

Gabriel Jesus this week too

I think I'll have to bid a fond farewell

Don't know enough about that guy. For example, is he a central striker or does he play the wings.

Iirc when I was fitting in Aguero this week I also choose a team without him. It didn't look that much better.

I found enough good 5.5-6.0m options in midfield that I'd be happy to play regularly so I'm going with Aguero for now.

Gabriel Jesus does a lot more off the ball work than Aguero and that's what Pep wants. He's hugely talented but hard to know how long it will take him to adapt. I don't think he's an immediate threat to Aguero but if he hits the ground running then who knows.

Don't know enough about that guy. For example, is he a central striker or does he play the wings.

Iirc when I was fitting in Aguero this week I also choose a team without him. It didn't look that much better.

I found enough good 5.5-6.0m options in midfield that I'd be happy to play regularly so I'm going with Aguero for now.

I'm going to start tinkering tomorrow
    I think it may come down to whether I want a premium defender and hazard or aguero !

I've started looking at a squad where every single player starts allowing flexibility in formation and I may go that route
    But probably not :D

So much value in defence too.......But like aguero I'm always drawn to bellerin and their fixtures are SO good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭Shedite27

(IF) I was on wildcard.....

GK - not much between any of them really. Pick a keeper in the 4.6-5.2m (Foster/Forster/Heaton/Boruc) and stick with him.

Def - Chelsea essential, Rose looks a world beater, Baines/Brunt with those fixtures. Round it off with a 3.9

Mid - Sanchez essential, Phillips with his form/fixtures too. Lallana is a cheap way into Liverpool if ya can't afford Firmino. Probably need another cheapies then if you're going for 3 up top, so Snodgrass. If you can stretch to Antinio, he's been very solid and has nice fixture list. Hazard is a luxury. If you can afford him, go for it, but I'd prefer 3 premium strikers over him.

Fwd - Forget about Aguero and see what you can afford. Costa/Ibra/Kane would be the ideal, downgrade one to Lukaku if you need to. Otherwise downgrade to a Gray/Negredo/etc as required

Caveat: I'm not wildcarding yet, as I think there's too many players missing with ACON, injury, and new signings that could ruin everything.

I agree with this. I made changes last year that I wouldn't even have considered if I hadn't the wildcard. Like taking punts on players that weren't nailed on just because their team had a double or dropping form players to get doublers in. Glad I played it now this week as I wasn't happy with my squad.
    Your better off playing it now if you have a fair few issues with your team. You are giving yourself 18 weeks to get the payback off it. You may suffer slightly around dgws but should benefit greatly over the next 6 weeks to more than offset it. I've backed away from using mine probably can sort my team out with a couple of -4s the next few weeks.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Sorry if this has been asked, but if I have 2 FT and play my wildcard, do I lose the extra FT the following week or does it carry on?

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭clairewithani

GLaDOS wrote: »
    Sorry if this has been asked, but if I have 2 FT and play my wildcard, do I lose the extra FT the following week or does it carry on?

You lose it.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Thought as much, cheers

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement

Apart from getting in players last night that I really wanted before they rise I've just had a quick tinker
    Due to the value in every sector of the pitch bar strikers I'm going to break habits of a lifetime by having 2 starting keepers, 5 good start defenders and no cheapie in misfiled. it will give me enormous flexibility and a good BB but enormous elections headaches too!

First draft
    Grant Hennessy ( Burnley have a run of 4 away games in a few weeks so bye bye Tom )
    Brunt chambers ake are certainties , Jones (maybe someone cheaper ), Bellerin or Alonso or rose . Bellerin leaves me zero ItB
    Sanchez Walcott lalana Alli Phillips ( no hazard which I'm uncomfortable with tbh)
    Ibra Costa Afobe...........Now a lot depends on Afobe starting tonight. Given my midfield and defensive options I can afford to take a chance on this position. Andre Gray is holding this spot at the minute and I can afford him with a bit of a rejig. Afobe has a much better fixture next week when I would be looking at not starting Phillips probably
    As for aguero........I'm not awfully excited by Costa but if I don't have him I'd keep hazard which will change it all again .....

Opinions?

Apart from getting in players last night that I really wanted before they rise I've just had a quick tinker
    Due to the value in every sector of the pitch bar strikers I'm going to break habits of a lifetime by having 2 starting keepers, 5 good start defenders and no cheapie in misfiled. it will give me enormous flexibility and a good BB but enormous elections headaches too!

First draft
    Grant Hennessy ( Burnley have a run of 4 away games in a few weeks so bye bye Tom )
    Brunt chambers ake are certainties , Jones (maybe someone cheaper ), Bellerin or Alonso or rose . Bellerin leaves me zero ItB
    Sanchez Walcott lalana Alli Phillips ( no hazard which I'm uncomfortable with tbh)
    Ibra Costa Afobe...........Now a lot depends on Afobe starting tonight. Given my midfield and defensive options I can afford to take a chance on this position. Andre Gray is holding this spot at the minute and I can afford him with a bit of a rejig. Afobe has a much better fixture next week when I would be looking at not starting either Phillips or lallana. Would ideally like a palace mid for that game week but I've value gained in both those players .........
    As for aguero........I'm not awfully excited by Costa but if I don't have him I'd keep hazard which will change it all again .....

Opinions?

You seem to know what you want.

I wouldn't be happy with having Walcott and I think Sanchez is a must have.

Would having Pedro or Willian instead of Walcott ease your Hazard fears ?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

First draft

Those four games are Hull, Swansea, Liverpool and Sunderland - I'd play him in 3/4 of those and my second keeper when he plays Pool.

You seem to know what you want.

I wouldn't be happy with having Walcott and I think Sanchez is a must have.

Would having Pedro or Willian instead of Walcott ease your Hazard fears ?

I'm looking at arsenal's fixtures over Chelsea's . Will have to see how Walcott's injury pans out too. It's hazard or no Chelsea mid for me . I'd actually rather have hazard than Costa as he is way more explosive but there are so many options in midfield .........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

https://gyazo.com/f2082961f8954cb772feb2afb0d840f0

Looking at making these changes with my wildcard with a view to using my bench boost on the 21st of Jan as Boro and Bournemouth have home games so all my defenders should play

First draft
    Ibra Costa Afobe...........Now a lot depends on Afobe starting tonight. Given my midfield and defensive options I can afford to take a chance on this position. Andre Gray is holding this spot at the minute and I can afford him with a bit of a rejig. Afobe has a much better fixture next week when I would be looking at not starting Phillips probably

Opinions?
    I think if your wildcarding early the best thing to do is get BB out of the way in a sgw. I found it a nightmare trying to set up bb in and around getting in dgw players last yr without the wildcard. I also feel its no harm to have 15 good options once you can handle points on your bench which is inevitable. I'd definetly have 2 playing keepers for 2nd half of season due to blanks and dgws. Barnes 4.5 is another option as a striker and 5 strong midfielder if you wanted to go down that route

I think if your wildcarding early the best thing to do is get BB out of the way in a sgw. I found it a nightmare trying to set up bb in and around getting in dgw players last yr without the wildcard. I also feel its no harm to have 15 good options once you can handle points on your bench which is inevitable. I'd definetly have 2 playing keepers for 2nd half of season due to blanks and dgws. Barnes 4.5 is another option as a striker and 5 strong midfielder if you wanted to go down that route

Barnes is the other one being considered alright
    Ideally I'd like afobe if he gets his start
    If I want aguero by the Swansea game then it's a 2 transfer move like this week
    Can't justify him at the moment as much as I'd like to
    Not sure about spending 4.8 on Jones either
    If he gets his second rise I may switch him
    Zero attacking threat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

Thats what I am doing. https://gyazo.com/cecdd6c94fae987d6a98469722585687

Planing on using it on the 21st of January, Bournemouth and Middlesborough are both at home against Watford and West Ham so that will be 3 of my 4 benched players covered, Diomande is away to Chelsea with Hull so anything at all from him will be a bonus.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭ElTel

threein99 wrote: »
    Thats what I am doing. https://gyazo.com/cecdd6c94fae987d6a98469722585687

Planing on using it on the 21st of January, Bournemouth and Middlesborough are both at home against Watford and West Ham so that will be 3 of my 4 benched players covered, Diomande is away to Chelsea with Hull so anything at all from him will be a bonus.

You need a second GK. I think once you unburden yourself from using BB in a DGW you have time on your side with a full 15 to maximize it. Later in the season you can put the money back into your starting 11.

• Advertisement

First draft

Opinions?

Getting very tempted by baines again :D
    Afobe to Barnes Jones to baines
    Tempting

Advertisement