Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wildcard Thread 2016/2017

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,502 ✭✭✭spock.

McBain11 wrote:
    Lads who are wildcarding, are many going with really tightly budget gk/defense and loading the midfield/forwards with big money players?

I'm going all out on attacking defenders.
    Walker Rose Baines Daniels Brunt
    Usually playing 433

• Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭McBain11

Currently have Baines and Brunt in my WC team but it's a very early draft. I think I'll stick with Baines come the weekend, but Brunt I'm not 100 percent on. Love having Spurs defenders myself too, this all goes back to cutbacks in other parts of the side though!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

McBain11 wrote: »
    Have considered that as well, Sanchez plus 1. The thing is my keepers and defense returns have been fairly poor for most of the first half of the season. So i'm looking at a better spread money wise on all parts of the side. This would mean players like Aguero/Sanchez/Ibr are dispensable in some shape or form. Having 2 or 3 of those in the squad means it's real budget time at the back and that hasn't served me great so far on gk/df points returns.

Lads who are wildcarding, are many going with really tightly budget gk/defense and loading the midfield/forwards with big money players?

I'll be going with brunt baines Alonso and two 4.5 defs. One of the main reasons I wildcarded was to sort my defence out. I only ever make defensive transfers as a hit so like last year will be hoping for a boost from my defence when I got Daniels and Williams early ahead of their good fixtures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭FHFC

If he didn't have a setback, Theo will be back next PL match.
    Circumstances the last three matches fell perfectly for Giroud (Theo, Ox, Ozil injuries), I think it's unlikely he'll start the next three PL matches as well. He's scored well, but he also scored a bunch off the bench and still couldn't get a start
    Surely when all Arsenal are fit the only 2 guaranteed a start are Sanchez and Ozil. That's it !

Buy anybody else and you're biting nails prior to the team sheet coming out.

So everyone's getting Giroud now?? What has changed since this to convince the FSA collective mind that he's now nailed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,258 ✭✭✭✭km79

FHFC wrote: »
    So everyone's getting Giroud now?? What has changed since this to convince the FSA collective mind that he's now nailed?

If I go with him it's with a view to upgrade to lukaku after 3 / 4 weeks
    He scored again at weekend so SURELY must start against Swansea
    As long as he keeps scoring wenger will keep him and so will I :D

• Advertisement

I'll be going with brunt baines Alonso and two 4.5 defs. One of the main reasons I wildcarded was to sort my defence out. I only ever make defensive transfers as a hit so like last year will be hoping for a boost from my defence when I got Daniels and Williams early ahead of their good fixtures.

Very similar situation to myself. Been very unhappy with my GK/DF options for awhile now. Still undecided how much to spend there though, but it will be an upgrade on what I had for most of the first half of the season. Amat and Jakupovic have been annoying the hell out of me sitting on my bench all season!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

FHFC wrote: »

I'd be very reluctant. You have wellbeck in the mix now aswell. So assuming Alexis and ozil are certs its Theo giroud ox wellbeck iwobi Ramsey Perez for 2 spots. Having said that he maybe in this week as a placeholder for sturridge the following week. I'll be going strong front 8 so will take the odd risk.

On Giroud, his form is unbelievable and it would surely be madness for Wenger to drop him over the next game or 2. In saying that unless he keeps that form up I could see him getting dropped much quicker than other players who might draw a a blank.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

McBain11 wrote: »
    On Giroud, his form is unbelievable and it would surely be madness for Wenger to drop him over the next game or 2. In saying that unless he keeps that form up I could see him getting dropped much quicker than other players who might draw a a blank.

Yeah one less than stellar team performance and Sanchez will be back up top like a light.

Can definitely see the situation in a few weeks time where it's Sanchez up top again with Walcott, Ozil plus 1 in the supporting roles. The question is, is it worth bringing Giroud in for the few weeks considering their nice fixtures.

• Advertisement

Bellerin, Özil and Gibbs look set to return on Saturday but there are no guarantees over Walcott despite Wenger insisting he was close. #AFC

I'll be chancing giroud now for certain

km79 wrote: »
    Bellerin, Özil and Gibbs look set to return on Saturday but there are no guarantees over Walcott despite Wenger insisting he was close. #AFC

Would probably do the same if I was on Wildcard with money to swap to whoever I wanted as an alternative. I'm holding Benteke as I think Palace will improve under Big Sam and will play all their attacks through him. I got him for the fixtures from GW23 especially and no point panicking over a bad performance and an injury related 1 pointer.

But I'd swap him for Giroud till GW23 if I was wildcarding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,502 ✭✭✭spock.

km79 wrote:
    Bellerin, Ozil and Gibbs look set to return on Saturday but there are no guarantees over Walcott despite Wenger insisting he was close. #AFC

I'll be going with him too with the option of downgrading to Rondon or Benteke

I'm becoming very tempted to captain him this week...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 855 ✭✭✭mectavba

Current WC squad:
    Heaton, Pickford

Alonso, Walker, Brunt, Daniels, Holgate

Sanchez, Alli, Phillips, Snodgrass, Stanislas

Aguero, Costa, Wilson

I have kind of stumbled on this team and not sure where to turn. 

"Too much on defence!!!"...I hear you shout. But with each of the 4 starters offering attacking potential, as well as clean sheet bonus, I for once, am willing to shell out a little extra in defence. But is it too much? This talk of Alonso being dropped has me thinking. Also, is Holgate nailed on to start?

Midfield has two no brainers and three of the recent bargain basement gems. I'm happy enough to toy around with who plays week on week, but if I do free funds up in defence I could move Snodgrass to Pedro...worth it?

Up front, I continue to worship at the church of Kun, Costa is a no brainer and Wilson has some nice fixtures coming up. I am however a little concerned about having 3 Bournemouth players considering hoe hot and cold they flush. Ake gone back to Chelsea also. No Man Utd or Liverpool either, but as they play each other next, not overly concerned jsut yet, expecially with liverpool players to come back from injury.

Any sage advice?

^^^

Jaku started tonight and at the weekend. So could be worth looking at rather than the injured Pickford. Savings !!

Edit - have you activated the chip yet ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,962 ✭✭✭Hogey007

It is worth noting that both hull games were cup games and a lot of clubs play 2nd choice keeper in the cups.
    I'd expect Marshall back for premier league but who knows given that it's a new manager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,788 ✭✭✭Benimar

Hogey007 wrote: »
    It is worth noting that both hull games were cup games and a lot of clubs play 2nd choice keeper in the cups.
    I'd expect Marshall back for premier league but who knows given that it's a new manager

It's well worth noting. I certainly wouldn't be signing up to the Jakupovic is back theory just yet.

For example, Karius played for Liverpool v Plymouth and Klopp says he will start again tomorrow, but I'd be very confident that Mignolet will start V Man U.

^^^

Jaku started tonight and at the weekend. So could be worth looking at rather than the injured Pickford. Savings !!

Edit - have you activated the chip yet ?
    No I have not activated the chip yet

mectavba wrote: »
    No I have not activated the chip yet

Alonso could be injured. Snodgrass could be moving in this window.

Unless you are in real bad shape it might be best to wait at least another week but preferably end of the window.

Ake, Alonso and Jaku will all be a clearer picture after this GW.

Would Snodgrass be as appealing if he moves to West Ham ?

Edit - also for cheap and 1st team players that could be on your bench - 2 new managers at Hull and Swansea so another 2 weeks might give us an idea of who they see as first teamers. Also, another 2-3 weeks might let us see how Jesus might affect Aguero.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,316 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Current WC squad:
    Heaton, Pickford

Alonso, Walker, Brunt, Daniels, Holgate

Sanchez, Alli, Phillips, Snodgrass, Stanislas

Aguero, Costa, Wilson

I have kind of stumbled on this team and not sure where to turn. 

"Too much on defence!!!"...I hear you shout. But with each of the 4 starters offering attacking potential, as well as clean sheet bonus, I for once, am willing to shell out a little extra in defence. But is it too much? This talk of Alonso being dropped has me thinking. Also, is Holgate nailed on to start?

Midfield has two no brainers and three of the recent bargain basement gems. I'm happy enough to toy around with who plays week on week, but if I do free funds up in defence I could move Snodgrass to Pedro...worth it?

Up front, I continue to worship at the church of Kun, Costa is a no brainer and Wilson has some nice fixtures coming up. I am however a little concerned about having 3 Bournemouth players considering hoe hot and cold they flush. Ake gone back to Chelsea also. No Man Utd or Liverpool either, but as they play each other next, not overly concerned jsut yet, expecially with liverpool players to come back from injury.

Any sage advice?

Big fan of Snodgrass this season but as rightly pointed out, he may move and IMO he would be less appealing.

Matty Philips is a better choice in that price range. Consistent, on set pieces and a bit of an FPL legend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,006 ✭✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Anyone using their WC to bring in strip lighting?

Anyone using their WC to bring in strip lighting?

Waiting for it to drop .1

Brunt 90% towards a drop !
    Better keep an eye on that
    Be sweet to get him for .1 cheaper

Huh!!?? Thats weird!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭tailgunner

He's 89.9% to a rise on FPLS, no?

I assume the little red arrows mean he was higher yesterday, but he's nowhere close to a drop, unless I'm reading it wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭domrush

I think Sanchez will start up front against Swansea with Giroud coming on at 65 mins or so lads.

tailgunner wrote: »
    He's 89.9% to a rise on FPLS, no?

I assume the little red arrows mean he was higher yesterday, but he's nowhere close to a drop, unless I'm reading it wrong.

Apologies apologies
    I've had a long day :D

domrush wrote: »
    I think Sanchez will start up front against Swansea with Giroud coming on at 65 mins or so lads.

Why

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭domrush

Why

Team clicks better with Sanchez up top, think Giroud is prone to bouts of laziness over 90 mins . Reckon Wenger also wants to see Perez Ozil Walcott with Sanchez up top as well. Giroud at his best playing physical against tired defenders, ie 60 mins+. Just my two cents.

• Advertisement

domrush wrote: »
    Team clicks better with Sanchez up top, think Giroud is prone to bouts of laziness over 90 mins . Reckon Wenger also wants to see Perez Ozil Walcott with Sanchez up top as well. Giroud at his best playing physical against tired defenders, ie 60 mins+. Just my two cents.

Walcott may not even be fit
    That's why I'm confident giroud will start this weekend
    That and him scoring in 4 games in a row
    I'll keep him as long as he keeps scoring
    Wenger will too
    When he stops he drops
    From mine and wenger teams :D
    I'm only planning on keeping him for 2/3 weeks anyways

• Registered Users Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭ElTel

For me Giroud starts when Wenger expects to face a packed defence. This will tend to happen in their home games but some managers will play like this at home to frustrate Arsenal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Really tempted to put Rooney in this GW as part of my WC.

Scores he breaks the record, against Liverpool.. too good to be true ? :pac:

As a United fan, I really really hope he breaks the record against the Pool on Sunday but as an FPL addict, Rooney has been nowhere near my team since GW2 last year and no way that'll change anytime soon.

Limited gametime, not explosive and way over priced.

A legend all the same! :D

Do
    Not
    Do
    It

Chances are he won't even start

My wildcard team seems to be hinging on the decision of going either:
    1. Alonso and Snodgrass or 2. Baines and Pedro.

Leaning towards 2 at the moment. In fact the only thing holding me back is being without Chelsea defensive coverage. I think it will be hard to address this if I don't get one in now. Maybe I can try work in Courtois for Heaton...

Peoples opinions? Chelsea defence a must on a WC?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭LostArt

Any thoughts on my goalkeeping situation would be appreciated, Foster and a non playing 3.9 or Grant and Randolph?

LostArt wrote: »
    Any thoughts on my goalkeeping situation would be appreciated, Foster and a non playing 3.9 or Grant and Randolph?

Grant & Randolph, more flexibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭BillyBoy

Leaning towards 2 at the moment. In fact the only thing holding me back is being without Chelsea defensive coverage. I think it will be hard to address this if I don't get one in now. Maybe I can try work in Courtois for Heaton...

I see Zouma is back from injury and played in their last match against Peterborough, along with Ake's recall, could mean there could be a few more rotations in Chelsea's defence. Alonso's rumoured injury/fitness concerns further muddies the waters.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,722 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

I'd say 2. Alonso has injury doubts and Ake back. Snoddy could be on the move and even if he;s starting he may not be on pens/set pieces at a new team

So my WC team at the minute is:

Cech / Grant

Daniels/Alonso/Vertonghan / Ward / Holgate

Sanchez/Alli/Sterling/De Roon / Phillips

Ibra/Defoe/Costa

Thoughts?

No Liverpool cover is my main concern.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,618 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Cech / Grant

Ibra/Defoe/Costa

Thoughts?

Personally, I'd pick Couthino over Sterling and probably Walker over Alonso. For the long term, I'd pick DDG over Cech or else downgrade him to free up funds

siblers wrote: »
    Personally, I'd pick Couthino over Sterling and probably Walker over Alonso. For the long term, I'd pick DDG over Cech or else downgrade him to free up funds

I have exactly enough to do those :pac: But I'd have 2 spurs defenders in Vert/Walker. Any ideas on who to replace Vert with Baines I imagine most will suggest? Giving me 0.2 ITB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭The real mccoy 91

Having payet in my team is now forcing me into my wildcard. Team at the moment is Grant bravo Daniels mccauley alonso lovren mee Hendrick Phillips payet sanchez De roon Costa aguero carroll

Thinking of dumping bravo for robles. Alonso and lovren for rose and possibly Luiz. Hendrick sanchez and payet out for yaya alli/eriksen and lallana. Carroll for giroud. Any thoughts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭The real mccoy 91

Cech / Grant

Ibra/Defoe/Costa

Thoughts?

Cech / Grant

Ibra/Defoe/Costa

Thoughts?

I wouldn't trust cech arsenal are always risky for clean sheets rumour seems to have it alonso could be dropped soon so maybe Luiz instead and I'd like coutinho/lallana over sterling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭patmac

Cech / Grant

Ibra/Defoe/Costa

Thoughts?

Yeah I'm tempted by Lallana to Sterling or Yaya, but seen as though every second person playing FF is a Liverpool fan it going to be a huge differential either way. I have Love over Holgate as my 4m defender as he might get more minutes, but as an Evertonion you might know better.

With the news Walcott is out I think I am done with 2 days to spare......famous last words ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭Mike Ehrmantraut

Almost done, but starting to second guess decisions.
    Down to deciding on 3 from Rose, Daniels, Brunt, Baines and Alonso.

Almost done, but starting to second guess decisions.
    Down to deciding on 3 from Rose, Daniels, Brunt, Baines and Alonso.

Rose, Brunt and Baines.

What are peoples views on pedro's nailed - on - ness? Is he going to be rotating with William for the season? Could be quite a number of frustrating 1s if so.

Also I haven't seen much love for Wilson. I currently have him in as Bournemouth have some nice fixtures coming up, he is on pens 6.2m... Any reason he is not so popular?

patmac wrote: »
    Yeah I'm tempted by Lallana to Sterling or Yaya, but seen as though every second person playing FF is a Liverpool fan it going to be a huge differential either way. I have Love over Holgate as my 4m defender as he might get more minutes, but as an Evertonion you might know better.

Tbh, I had Love most of the season so just opted with Holgate, Ideally I don't want either to play :pac:

Has Prodl been playing for Watford? I saw in GW20 he got 1 point. I'm thinking him to replace vertonghan as I have Walker.

• Advertisement
Advertisement