Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there such thing as a registration book for motorbikes?

• 21-08-2016 7:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭jg3114

Forgive my cluelessness but im about to buy my first bike and am wondering if its a thing or is there a different type of cert to prove ownership you should get when buying?

Basically any tips... I plan to run background check on plate but is there any documents I should also ask for or get him to sign anything?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

The only document you have to worry about legally is the Vehicle Registration Certificate (of course, don't refuse to take any other docs such as service history and other receipts). It has to be signed by the previous owner and it has to be filled out and signed by you. It then has to be posted to appropriate address (I presume it's still Shannon). Officially, it states that the seller has the responsibility to post the paperwork and it should be posted to your stated address with a week or two. Some buyers insist on taking the cert away in case the seller tries to scam the buyer by reporting it stolen or if they're worried the seller won't be arsed taking care of it. I think the best compromise is to agree to both fill it out and take it and post it before parting ways.

One other point to remember is that if the vehicle isn't currently taxed. If it has some tax left, happy days, you can drive away and by the time the renewal comes around, the form will probably come through to you. However, if it's out of tax and you wish to take care of it straight away (you're better off) go can go to the Motor Tax Office with the Vehicle Registration Certificate filled out by you and the seller (if they're happy enough to give it to you) and you can both tax it straight away AND let them take care of the transfer of ownership in one sitting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

Yes, it's the exact same as the one for a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭jg3114

Alright cool and if he says he doesnt have one? walk or is there something I can do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

jg3114 wrote: »
    Alright cool and if he says he doesnt have one? walk or is there something I can do?

If he doesn't have a registration cert, tell him to get one. Best case, he can report it lost and get a replacement. Worst case, the bike is nicked and you dodged a bullet.

jg3114 wrote: »

If he doesn't have one walk.
    When he gives it to you you have to sign it and so does he and it needs to be posted. He will insist on doing this as he should (so you cant go off and do a robbery and the bike still in his name)

What you should do is say you want to go with him and post it, do it together on the spot. There is a little tear off you can keep as proof

I have heard loads of cases where the document doesn't get posted at all and its unbelievable hassle for you then, or else people posting it months later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

When I sell a vehicle, I always have a stamped addressed envelope in my pocket with a pen.
    Once the document is signed I pull out the envelope, put it in and stand with the buyer or seller as its posted.
    No worries for me or the seller and you know its done and they know its done.
    I had one chancer ask for the logbook on the spot instead of posting it but I told him any speeding fines or toll charges will come back to me.
    Popped the lot in the envelope and stuck it in the postbox in front of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭SuperS54

Had a chancer insist as part of the deal that I not fill in the change form and leave the bike in my name! Didn't disagree and just posted it off after he had gone...

Advertisement