Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***The Official CAO Offers Thread***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 johnh153

Question about CAO/UCAS.

I got my offer for Trinity engineering today in the CAO, but I currently hold a place in University of Bath through UCAS. Does anybody know if I accept Trinity's offer, will Bath be notified of that and thus maybe withdraw my place? I'm cautious because I do know there's a link between CAO and UCAS, as Bath knew I'd made their grades without me sending my results to them.

Anyone have any experience of this? I need more time to decide which one I'd like to choose (~ 2 weeks).

• Registered Users Posts: 4 LostBoy97

juniorcert wrote: »
    Ya got offered biological and chemical sciences in ucc, just had my heart set on biomedical science but oh well, I'll get over it eventually

I got offered that too. Sorry you didn't get your 1st choice but hopefully you'll like it!:). My friend does it and she loves it.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭matthew1998

TSMGUY wrote: »
    You want cringe..... you can't handle this cringe (actually got it from reddit r/cringe :D)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4yzDaqGftQ

This is brilliant! :'D! I'm just pissing myself laughing! Haha , poor fella is getting shipped off to liverpool </3 :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Lynchy747

johnh153 wrote: »
    Question about CAO/UCAS.

I got my offer for Trinity engineering today in the CAO, but I currently hold a place in University of Bath through UCAS. Does anybody know if I accept Trinity's offer, will Bath be notified of that and thus maybe withdraw my place? I'm cautious because I do know there's a link between CAO and UCAS, as Bath knew I'd made their grades without me sending my results to them.

Anyone have any experience of this? I need more time to decide which one I'd like to choose (~ 2 weeks).

Hi John,

The link you speak of is actually a link between UCAS and the State Examinations Commission (SEC). Much the same as the CAO has a link with the SEC.

CAO would definitely not be sending any of your details to UCAS.

I would say you have nothing to worry about by accepting the TCD course for the moment. The worst thing you could do is not accept and lose the place through CAO.

I don't have personal experience but I have a fairly good understanding of how the process works.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭daraghwal

Lynchy747 wrote: »
    Hi John,

The link you speak of is actually a link between UCAS and the State Examinations Commission (SEC). Much the same as the CAO has a link with the SEC.

I would say you have nothing to worry about by accepting the TCD course for the moment. The worst thing you could do is not accept and lose the place through CAO.

I don't have personal experience but I have a fairly good understanding of how the process works.

Yep, the link is SEC and UCAS, not CAO and UCAS. I'm sure there is some rule that makes sure CAO do not reveal anything to UCAS whereas SEC can give out info about you to CAO, UCAS and others for awards etc.

I would definitely accept the Trinity place before next Monday or else you will be guaranteed to lose the Trinity place because they presume you do not want it.

I know the UK universities get the results from SEC as they rang my cousin the morning of the leaving results at around 8:30am and told him he got 600 points, he can have a place. He hadn't even got his results from the school!

• Advertisement

Hi John,

Thanks so much, I reckoned as much myself but my parents had me worried for a while! I think you're right as I just had a guidance counsellor suggest the same, and I just accepted the trinity offer with no immediate repercussions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

You want cringe..... you can't handle this cringe (actually got it from reddit r/cringe :D)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4yzDaqGftQ

That has got to be up there with the dumbest TVs ideas to do live!! Poor kid look devastated and now not only has to suffer the feeling of disappointment from his exam result but also must be embarrassed as fcuk for that video to be viral with millions of views on social media. Plus he's off to Liverpool to make matters worse ( no offence to anyone) :p

daraghwal wrote: »
    Yep, the link is SEC and UCAS, not CAO and UCAS. I'm sure there is some rule that makes sure CAO do not reveal anything to UCAS whereas SEC can give out info about you to CAO, UCAS and others for awards etc.

I would definitely accept the Trinity place before next Monday or else you will be guaranteed to lose the Trinity place because they presume you do not want it.

I know the UK universities get the results from SEC as they rang my cousin the morning of the leaving results at around 8:30am and told him he got 600 points, he can have a place. He hadn't even got his results from the school!

That's great, thank you! I had a similar email with Bath around 7:30, though luckily I didn't see it until later, I would've been very surprised to wake up knowing I'd gotten at least 5 As, too early for news that good!

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭danm14

Some courses in a handful of the ITs have a points score that doesn't end in 0 or 5 - how does this happen? Non Irish/British applicants? A Level and LC points totals all have to end in 5 or 0 as far as I know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 855 ✭✭✭TSMGUY

This is brilliant! :'D! I'm just pissing myself laughing! Haha , poor fella is getting shipped off to liverpool </3 :rolleyes:

He looks like a middle-aged man with a mortgage, the poor bastard. I lol'd so hard at how he didn't even pretend to be bubbly for the camera, his face was just straight up "I don't want to live anymore":(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Lynchy747

danm14 wrote: »
    Some courses in a handful of the ITs have a points score that doesn't end in 0 or 5 - how does this happen? Non Irish/British applicants? A Level and LC points totals all have to end in 5 or 0 as far as I know.

Sometimes an assessment component (portfolio or interview) is included, which may be scored on an odd number. (Edit: A # symbol indicates an assessment took place)

Another example is Medicine courses which incorporate HPAT scores. As well as this each 5 points above 520 (I think) adds 1 to the points total. To discourage Medicine hopefuls trying to obtain 625.

Hope this helps!

Sometimes an assessment component (portfolio or interview) is included, which may be scored on an odd number. (Edit: A # symbol indicates an assessment took place)

Another example is Medicine courses which incorporate HPAT scores. As well as this each 5 points above 520 (I think) adds 1 to the points total. To discourage Medicine hopefuls trying to obtain 625.

Hope this helps!

No, these courses don't have a # beside them, so there's no assessment other than the Leaving Cert or equivalent. In fact, the course I accepted an offer for today had a points score ending in something other than a 5 or 0, and did so last year too, and I definitely didn't do anything other than the Leaving Cert to get in (and it's not Medicine or anything of that calibre)

Not that it makes any difference, but it's just unusual when practically every other course's points ends in 5 or 0.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭legocrazy505

Very efficient day. Accepted the offer at 6:01am, got an email saying I accepted it. Later then I've got an email from UL with my student ID. Now trying to get my head around the rooms and stuff, very daunting coming from a school I know like the back of my hand.

Was expecting the site to crash or something but all was fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 red.velvet

I got my course, and the email afterwards, but after I'd read everything I had to do a long-awaited cleanout of my hard-drive - including my email history, it says on the cao sheet that was posted this morning that we need the email receipt printed after we've accepted the course, but I don't have mine anymore, what'll I do, and what was it for??

red.velvet wrote: »
    I got my course, and the email afterwards, but after I'd read everything I had to do a long-awaited cleanout of my hard-drive - including my email history, it says on the cao sheet that was posted this morning that we need the email receipt printed after we've accepted the course, but I don't have mine anymore, what'll I do, and what was it for??

I'd be very surprised if it's anything more than the usual "print this for your own records" message and that you'll never actually need a printed copy. It's the same as if you purchase something online, the site usually advises you to print the invoice, but nobody does and nobody ever needs it.

I wouldn't worry at all, if a printed receipt was actually going to be used as the definitive proof you'd gotten or accepted an offer, nobody would care about actually getting their points, they'd just print a fake acceptance email and show up with the page in their hand for registration at the college they didn't get into.

I'd say the person that actually printed out the receipt is the exception, I know I didn't print mine. I'd say a good number don't even own a printer or have access to one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭TheBiz

Bejasus Commerce Global Experience in NUIGcoming in first time with 500 points!
    I was told in the region of 420-450 at the open day.
    Got my second choice, basically same course so I'm happy out!

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭juniorcert

LostBoy97 wrote: »
    I got offered that too. Sorry you didn't get your 1st choice but hopefully you'll like it!:). My friend does it and she loves it.

I've a friend in the course too and she also loves it, I've been hearing very good things about the course tbf so feeling hopeful about it now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭siebey123

Guys don't forget that today is the last day to bring back the form to view scripts!!

Anyways, I really hope everyone is delighted with what they got yesterday and best of luck with everything :p Can't believe this is it tbh, basically time to leave the secondary school forum for good :o

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭LC2016

I got an email recording my acceptance of my course but no text like others.. Anyone know why?

LC2016 wrote: »
    I got an email recording my acceptance of my course but no text like others.. Anyone know why?

Did you get a text from the Cao about offers? Or did you get no texts at all from them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭oswinoswald

Has anyone else not gotten any correspondence from DIT whatsoever? I accepted my offer yesterday morning and all i got was the confirmation email from the CAO, i thought DIT would have come through with an email by now

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭LC2016

juniorcert wrote: »
    Did you get a text from the Cao about offers? Or did you get no texts at all from them?

Nope none all year I don't think. My number was recorded correctly too.
    Edit: just checked in settings and I clicked "no" to the option of receiving messages from them :p

LC2016 wrote: »
    Nope none all year I don't think. My number was recorded correctly too.
    Edit: just checked in settings and I clicked "no" to the option of receiving messages from them :p

Hahaha well there you go, at least you know nothing went wrong anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭hubluh

Has anyone been offered accomodation by UCD yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 22 shligonian

On Friday the HEAR coordinator is ringing all HEAR 1st years who ticked yes for wishing to apply for a room in Merville, I think it's based on your distance etc from the college, I'm also 922 on the regular list so whichever offer I get first I suppose I'll take!

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Corkalex

hubluh wrote: »
    Has anyone been offered accomodation by UCD yet?

I haven't! I emailed UCD residences and they said it's unlikely that I'll be offered on campus accomodation because of my position on the waiting list :( I'm looking for off campus accomodation but they're either too expensive or too far away from UCD:( what about you??

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Danny_Boi

Corkalex wrote: »
    I haven't! I emailed UCD residences and they said it's unlikely that I'll be offered on campus accomodation because of my position on the waiting list :( I'm looking for off campus accomodation but they're either too expensive or too far away from UCD:( what about you??
    What position are you on the waiting list?Accomodation offers start tomorrow btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭matthew1998

He tried to smile when he seen his results...Poor fella :D to bad he is destined to become a scouser...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8 taraoshea1998

Anybody going to NUIG staying in corrib village ? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 Corkalex

Danny_Boi wrote: »
    What position are you on the waiting list?Accomodation offers start tomorrow btw.

2720th :(

Advertisement