Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Football stadiums and stands - the good and the bad...

Comments

major bill wrote: »
    What Dalymount will hopefully look like in 2020

Dalymount.jpg

Think I'd file that with the bad. Though great to see Dalymount developed, that's just...bland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

Patww79 wrote: »

10,000 is the aim for the project, it should hopefully be built all in one go as its meant to be the FAI's legacy of the 2020 European Championships. As a poster above mentioned il believe it when I see it!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kksaints

Not sure if its still in the plans but there was plans to build an Irish football museum there. Also the plans are for a category 4 stadium so it could become the host for any LOI matches in Europe that need that level instead of the Aviva. Also could become host for the EA Sports cup final and maybe even the FAI cup final (Hope not. I like the AVIVA for the FAI cup final)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

Something to show what came out of hosting some of the championship games pretty much but wont be used in the actual championship, will be used by Bohemians and Shelbourne, maybe cup finals (Not FAI Cup) schoolboy football, basically what Tallaght is doing, underage internationals etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

dan1895 wrote: »
    Believe it when I see it. It'll get knocked and re-opened with just one stand built. The original plan for Tallaght was a stadium wrapped all the way around the pitch. It opened with just one stand. Markets Field plans showed four stands. It opened with one and some temporary seating. Bad record of finising these kind of projects in this country. Hopefully I'm wrong though.

I completely agree, although if it does get used for the Euros it'll have to be mostly completed really.

Also agree that it's a quite bland design compared to the good examples of new stadia in this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,401 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

What does the legacy aspect mean other than they're going to build it with some of the hosting money? They're not actually going to use it for the championships or for anything after them are they?

The plan is also to use it as a training base for a team playing here during Euro 2020.
    If we qualify, there's a decent chance it'll be Ireland training base.

I think the bland design is mostly down to the limitations of the site.
    One of the main stands was sold to property developers a few years ago, meaning the stadium is being rotated from its current design.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,768 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

I love how mad this is.
    The 2 Dundees.
    e2bbbd5c46f32ab76c211141f4d0490f.jpg

dundee-football-grounds-closest-in-uk-1428242507.jpg

130485-gv-of-dens-park-and-tannadice.jpg

dundee.jpg

Both%20Dundee%20Football%20Grounds.jpg

• Advertisement

The Main Stand at Dens Park in the above pics is unusual, curved and with a V shaped roof.

Speaking of Scottish grounds, I like Fir Park with the giant stand behind one goal so out of scale with the others. It's like a kid with 3 Subbuteo stands who just puts a large box at one end to take up the space...

http://www.worldstadiums.com/stadium_pictures/europe/united_kingdom/scotland/motherwell_fir_park.shtml

Another good one in the "stand completely out of proportion with the others" was Stamford Bridge back in the day, with the giant East Stand going up in the mid 1970s and then the development stopped...leaving a curious mix of terrace and small stands and then ONE GIANT STAND!

https://www.thesun.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/2585983.main_image.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Another massive new stand in old stadium entry! :D

Old_New_Main.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

The Sparta stadium already mentioned in this thread because of its facade, used to have this 1 out of proportions side as well.

020-Sparta-Stadion-1929.jpg

The one on the right side was later extended to at least 2 the size. Looked impressive when full which it hardly ever was in the years before the new stadium.

Schietribune57e9.jpg?t=1181047111
    Pitch is now turned 90 degrees. The main entrance, giving the stadium its name The Castle hasnt changed much.
    There is however 1 thing that makes me hate that stadium, the artificial pitch.
    The oldest professional club in The Netherlands, proud of their traditions and their hate of their southern neighbours Feyenoord, play on a plastic pitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

Another good one in the "stand completely out of proportion with the others" was Stamford Bridge back in the day, with the giant East Stand going up in the mid 1970s and then the development stopped...leaving a curious mix of terrace and small stands and then ONE GIANT STAND!

I love that old single stand they had:

chelseavdynamo1.jpg

And then it just looked tiny:

2A1A38C600000578-3144204-1978_The_Shed_is_dwarfed_by_the_new_East_Stand_in_this_late_Seve-a-32_1435658346373.jpg

Another weird one was The Dell, Southampton's old ground:

dell1.jpg

And then later they just build a modern stand there, but keeping the original look:

dell3.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭raheny red

The Argentinians are fond of the steep stands alright

Huracan

duco_front.jpg

piZap_1473249131201_zpsn2n06aez.jpg

piZap_1473249192311_zpskh45xvro.jpg

piZap_1473249262683_zps3xhzspc4.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭FreeOSCAR

New Minnesota Vikings Stadium is delicious.
    Chelsea played the first ever game there this pre-season

us-bank-stadium-at-night-1.jpg

CrTBvfIVIAET_p0.jpg

Co-wXlJUAAEWS2P.jpg

Co-qM5UUMAAkZOo.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,465 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

What was most noticeable thing about the old Stamford Bridge when it was on TV was the cars parked behind the goal.

A few of them.in that pic too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Couple more for the New Vikings Stadium here. Not 100% yet but they seem certain it'll be the loudest ground in the US

from-the-outside-the-stadium-has-the-appearance-of-a-modernized-viking-ship.jpg

The doors here open fully so while a domed stadium it can add in an interesting element of cold air or wind to proceeding if the home team wishes

the-stadium-has-a-translucent-roof-and-a-wall-of-windows-that-can-be-opened-to-give-the-fans-a-feeling-of-being-outside-while-still-being-protected-from-the-harsh-winter-elements.jpg

The Glass everywhere gives a sunny/light game during the day and a dark floodlit game at night, same as outdoors but with the benefits of a roof and AC

image--US-Bank-Stadium.jpg

It's modern Architectural perfection imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

And it wouldn't be the vikings stadium without its massive horn

Cn-6dEXWEAA3nlh.jpg

Liverpool's new stand is completed

Cru_XdnWEAADpu3.jpg:small

IMG_20160907_002235.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

That Vikings stadium is absolutely bonkers looking in the best most modern way possible. I think I love it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,433 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Vikings stadium looks class

World Cup 2018 is being spared no expense.

The new Luzhniki sans running track

29525893845_c146267d94_k.jpg

And St Petersburg is getting a space ship landing site!

29481052855_213aa814d4_o.jpg

29338144106_b83abbcaf9_o.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Boring bowls I think.

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    Couple more for the New Vikings Stadium here. Not 100% yet but they seem certain it'll be the loudest ground in the US

from-the-outside-the-stadium-has-the-appearance-of-a-modernized-viking-ship.jpg

The doors here open fully so while a domed stadium it can add in an interesting element of cold air or wind to proceeding if the home team wishes

the-stadium-has-a-translucent-roof-and-a-wall-of-windows-that-can-be-opened-to-give-the-fans-a-feeling-of-being-outside-while-still-being-protected-from-the-harsh-winter-elements.jpg
    It's modern Architectural perfection imo

I don't like it.

Why have a stadium look like a bank hq in Frankfurt, or a 2010 museum in some Asian City, when everything kinda looked like the Shard?

Why can't a football stadium look like a football stadium? Why hide the stadium nature, the stands, from the outside world? I like stadiums, I like to see the stands towering over the surrounding landscape, I don't want "building that could be anything...maybe airport terminal designed by Foster + Partners",

And it doesn't look anything like a Viking ship, no matter what they claim.

Indoors Viking stadium during day time : Meh
    Indoors Viking stadium in the evening/night: Brilliant (well the view through that glass wall in any case).

Outdoors: trying too hard not to look like a stadium.

That looks stunning.
    But every time I see the NFL clubs building these massive new grounds I feel sorry for the tax payers who foot the largest part of all those building projects. Especially given that the NFL itself (supposedly a non profit organisation btw) signed a tv deal worth close to 40bn dollars a few years back.

• Advertisement

Why can't a football stadium look like a football stadium? Why hide the stadium nature, the stands, from the outside world? I like stadiums, I like to see the stands towering over the surrounding landscape, I don't want "building that could be anything...maybe airport terminal designed by Foster + Partners",

It's needed to attract Superbowls.
    An open-air stadium would be unappealing if it's -20c
    And indeed this Vikings stadium will be hosting it in 2018.

The 2019 Superbowl will be held in Atlanta's new stadium
    Dubbed "Megatron's butthole" :D
    lk1fozkthpiqwceebkwz.gif
    Oh this cost a pretty penny.

And in case any Arsenal fans were wondering why one of the wealthiest clubs in the world spend so little.... well, it's so slimey owner Stan Kronke can build his mega stadium in Los Angeles which has already been awarded the 2021 Superbowl

inglewood16_top.jpg

Jelle1880 wrote: »
    That looks stunning.
    But every time I see the NFL clubs building these massive new grounds I feel sorry for the tax payers who foot the largest part of all those building projects. Especially given that the NFL itself (supposedly a non profit organisation btw) signed a tv deal worth close to 40bn dollars a few years back.

It sucks alright, it is often done with voter consent but often with threat that the team will be moved if they don't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

oh this looks like a class thread, is it limited to soccer stadia???

brinty wrote: »
    is it limited to soccer stadia???

Probably should be, but those US stadiums are or will also be soccer stadia as well as gridiron.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭Moist Bread

I don't like it.

Why have a stadium look like a bank hq in Frankfurt, or a 2010 museum in some Asian City, when everything kinda looked like the Shard?

And it doesn't look anything like a Viking ship, no matter what they claim.

I quite like it. Nothing wrong with a bit of variety. I do perfer grounds with 4 unique stands.

You're right though. Looks nothing like a Viking ship, or any ship for that matter.

It sucks alright, it is often done with voter consent but often with threat that the team will be moved if they don't.

Well, at least they sometimes get things like this in exchange for their tax dollars :pac:

texans-jaguars-chip-litherland-0001.jpg

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I quite like it. Nothing wrong with a bit of variety. I do perfer grounds with 4 unique stands.

You're right though. Looks nothing like a Viking ship, or any ship for that matter.

The bowls looked cool and modern when they started popping up, now they're 10 a penny. Jeremy Clarkson said that things with imperfections have soul.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

The bowls looked cool and modern when they started popping up, now they're 10 a penny. Jeremy Clarkson said that things with imperfections have soul.

The bowls looked like stadiums.

The Vikings stadium looks like an airport terminal, from the outside. The 2 pics I referred to, you could pass that building on the outskirts of a city and not know it was a sports venue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,433 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Keep the pictures coming people. One best threads for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,451 ✭✭✭Shedite27

FatherTed wrote: »
    MLS team Vancouver Whitecaps's stadium BC Place features a retractable roof:
    stadium.jpg
    One of the coolest things about this stadium, is that there's two tiers, with a curtain that can be pulled over the upper tier when it's not being used to make it look smaller.

Here's the full seating arrangement....

800px-BC_Place_2011_Lions.jpg

...and here it is with the curtains over the upper tier.....

BC_Place_2011_Whitecaps.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Pancho Arena in Hungary

panchoarena-doparumarchitects-herojpg

Exterior

Pancho-Arena-Doparum-Architects-9.jpg

Gorgeous, but seems pretty small inside.

Jelle1880 wrote: »
    Gorgeous, but seems pretty small inside.

Just read the wiki page on it. It is small with a capacity of 3500 but bare in mind it's located in a village of 1700 people. Mad stories of corruption regarding it too. It's beautiful and I wouldn't mind if it was some sort of a vanity project by some rich prick, but the construction of the stadium seems to have been indirectly funded by the taxpayer.

Just read the wiki page on it. It is small with a capacity of 3500 but bare in mind it's located in a village of 1700 people. Mad stories of corruption regarding it too. It's beautiful and I wouldn't mind if it was some sort of a vanity project by some rich prick, but the construction of the stadium seems to have been indirectly funded by the taxpayer.

That place is a masterpiece though.

To compare, that arena in Hungary cost just over €12m.
    For the same price we got the half effort that is Tallaght Stadium.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭RainMakerToo

Was always fond of the Luigi Ferraris stadium in Genoa. Probably looks like an 80s monstrosity now, but it was the scene of David O'Leary's penalty at Italia 90, and home to Sampdoria's unlikely title victory a year later

stadio-luigi-ferraris-curva-sud.jpg

tumblr_m1ck19Grqo1rqanwuo1_500.jpg

stadio-luigi-ferraris.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

It's needed to attract Superbowls.
    An open-air stadium would be unappealing if it's -20c
    And indeed this Vikings stadium will be hosting it in 2018.

The 2019 Superbowl will be held in Atlanta's new stadium
    Dubbed "Megatron's butthole" :D
    lk1fozkthpiqwceebkwz.gif
    Oh this cost a pretty penny.

And in case any Arsenal fans were wondering why one of the wealthiest clubs in the world spend so little.... well, it's so slimey owner Stan Kronke can build his mega stadium in Los Angeles which has already been awarded the 2021 Superbowl

inglewood16_top.jpg

Actually looks as if Kroenke is squezing 4 rows of corporate boxes into one stand there, incredible :pac:

Just on the Vikings again, dont want to spam the thread with any more pictures, but it looks different from most angles and we're probably picking the most unique looking ones for effect. Looks more like a normal stadium in other photos. Google image it anyway if interested

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    Actually looks as if Kroenke is squezing 4 rows of corporate boxes into one stand there, incredible :pac:

If Capitalism had a wet dream it would like like that stadium.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,465 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Was always fond of the Luigi Ferraris stadium in Genoa. Probably looks like an 80s monstrosity now, but it was the scene of David O'Leary's penalty at Italia 90, and home to Sampdoria's unlikely title victory a year later

stadio-luigi-ferraris-curva-sud.jpg

tumblr_m1ck19Grqo1rqanwuo1_500.jpg

stadio-luigi-ferraris.jpg

No it will never be an 80s monstrosity

I always found the place to be unique among the stadiums you used to see on the Italian football show on TV years ago.
    It always looked more compact than the others and the corners with the windows will always be cool.

stadio-artemio-franchi-aeial.jpg

This is for me Italian football of the 80's.
    A full Artemio Franchi with that glass wall around the pitch

o_fiorentina_varie-3094884.jpg

• Advertisement

inforfun wrote: »
    o_fiorentina_varie-3094884.jpg

Carlos Puyol's boyhood team!

Advertisement