Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Football stadiums and stands - the good and the bad...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Barlett

dan1895 wrote: »
    Looks like something that a second division Spanish team might of thrown up in the 90's. Very uninspiring design for something built in 2017.

It retains it's character which is more than can be said about the 10-15 identikit 'bowls' that they've thrown up in the Premier League in the last 20 years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.
    Zebra3 wrote: »
    They build huge stadiums outside cities in the US.

Takes hours for people to drive to them and to drive back.

Yeah, I go to the Stubhub centre here in LA fairly often... it's in Carson, way away from the main built up areas, with a massive parking footprint. Huge freeways all the way.

And it takes bloody ages to get in there. Takes an hour just to drive to the exit after a match. And that's for only a 27,000 capacity (which it's rarely hit when i've gone). Bring that up to 40k+ and it'd be absolute chaos!

And it's a balls to be forced to drive, not to be able to have a few drinks. The matchday is far less craic as a result. You go there, you watch, you leave... It's much nicer when you can go to a match a few hours early and get something to eat around the area, pop in and watch, maybe go for a drink after nearby.

Public transport to a venue with a bit of social infrastructure around it all the way for me anyway!

<edit> Went to the Rosebowl for a Liverpool preseason friendly last year too, which is also in a quieter area. i'd say capacity that night was about 50k and that... that was an ordeal. Would totally put me off going there for an event again.

On the location of the Aviva, have to say, being able to get the Luas and go right to the Point, stroll across the bridge and into Ringsend, have a couple of pints and amble down to the game...it's a great match day experience. Driving to a ground in the midlands would be worse than going to see Longford in the Flan Siro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Yeah, I go to the Stubhub centre here in LA fairly often... it's in Carson, way away from the main built up areas, with a massive parking footprint. Huge freeways all the way.

And it takes bloody ages to get in there. Takes an hour just to drive to the exit after a match. And that's for only a 27,000 capacity (which it's rarely hit when i've gone). Bring that up to 40k+ and it'd be absolute chaos!

And it's a balls to be forced to drive, not to be able to have a few drinks. The matchday is far less craic as a result. You go there, you watch, you leave... It's much nicer when you can go to a match a few hours early and get something to eat around the area, pop in and watch, maybe go for a drink after nearby.

Public transport to a venue with a bit of social infrastructure around it all the way for me anyway!

<edit> Went to the Rosebowl for a Liverpool preseason friendly last year too, which is also in a quieter area. i'd say capacity that night was about 50k and that... that was an ordeal. Would totally put me off going there for an event again.

The new LAFC stadium looks good.

lafcrenderingAerial-2.jpg

j17qVpM.jpg

Close to downtown LA and right beside the Memorial Colisseum.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭R00ster

The Luzhniki stadium in Moscow has undergone an extraordinary transformation for the world cup. The stands were stripped back pretty much to the facade. Running track was removed and the new stands brought closer to the pitch.
    417947.jpg
    417948.jpg
    417949.jpg
    417950.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

As much as I like athletics, running tracks in stadiums are the work of the devil.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

The Luzhniki stadium redevelopment is a fantastic looking job.No place for a running track in a football ground ruins it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

The new LAFC stadium looks good.

Close to downtown LA and right beside the Memorial Colisseum.

Yeah, this will be great! And I can take the metro most of the way there too :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭HONKEY TONK

If we're talking spectacular stands, there's only one winner:

1lUbMwy.jpg

Westfalenstadion, single tier stand, 25000 people. Fairly mad.

I had season ticket for 8 years on that south stand when I lived in Dortmund

I would suggest to anyone who has some free time. Try and get to the Westfalenstadion for a game. better still a champions league game under the floodlights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

DBtRmYbXgAAl2me.jpg:large

Gheorge Hagi's football academy

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

Henningsvær Stadion... Lofoten Islands, Norway.

D0gmybz.jpg?1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

^^
    Looks a bit like Inishturk gaa pitch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

^^
    Looks a bit like Inishturk gaa pitch

Inishtuhoto.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Eidi Stadium - Faroe Islands

article-0-1B9E7CEC000005DC-22_634x430.jpg

Ottmar Hitzfeld Stadium - Switzerland

f6ff76cf85224dff989de2267c3e781c.jpg

Nuevo Estadio Silvestre Carrillo - La Palma - Canary Islands

ClzfmvDWEAAecg1.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

They are fairly loose with the word stadium.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

We're building a brand new stand at Antwerp, it's part of a complete redevelopment of the stadium (parts of it haven't been replaced since the 1920's).

The main investor in the club is the boss of Ghelamco, who built AA Gent's new ground

79451.jpg

To:

9773190.jpeg?v=qlwF3Wg

2 nights ago at Quick Boys - Volendam for the Dutch cup
    Quick Boys the club where it all started fro Dirk Kuyt btw.
    Dutch FA can fine teams for pyro inside the stadiums so..... lets do it in the dunes surrounding the stadium then.
    One of the best, if not the best amateur grounds in The Netherlands. Dutch team always have their training sessions there as well.

Jelle1880 wrote: »
    We're building a brand new stand at Antwerp, it's part of a complete redevelopment of the stadium (parts of it haven't been replaced since the 1920's).

The main investor in the club is the boss of Ghelamco, who built AA Gent's new ground

79451.jpg

To:

9773190.jpeg?v=qlwF3Wg

To continue on this, every day I'm shocked at how fast these things go.
    Tearing down the old stand started in July.

21895300_10154898914098779_1075791950_o.jpg?oh=42b6dfa4ba4f17e2494ff77196ea3d80&oe=59C46BB5

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,951 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Zebra3 wrote: »

It's amazing how short the lifespan of a US stadium is these days.

The Georgia Dome, which the Falcons moved out of, was only built in 1992.

Same goes for the baseball field in Atlanta, the Braves have moved, or are moving, out of Turner field, which is the stadium built as the 1996 Olympic stadium.

There is also talk of the Arizona Diamondbacks moving to a new stadium, from their current one, which was buit in, wait for it, 1998.

Crazy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

It's amazing how short the lifespan of a US stadium is these days.

The Georgia Dome, which the Falcons moved out of, was only built in 1992.

Same goes for the baseball field in Atlanta, the Braves have moved, or are moving, out of Turner field, which is the stadium built as the 1996 Olympic stadium.

There is also talk of the Arizona Diamondbacks moving to a new stadium, from their current one, which was buit in, wait for it, 1998.

Crazy.

Crazy is right, but the model there of tax payers paying the cost for these new stadiums and teams threatening to leave the locale of new or improved stadia just beggars belief..
    Here's a video re the Pontiac Silverdome

This won't be the only stadium like this in America

Imagine the GAA saying unless Dublin 3 built a new Croke Park or they'd move to the south side...

Also think it is a cultural thing. Americans dont seem to give 2 ****s about stadiums. It is just a commodity. New is good because it is nice and shiny

If i just look at Feyenoord's struggle to convince the fans that a new stadium is necessary in order to keep up with Ajax and PSV and a lot of fans still saying "Piss of with your new stadium, we want to keep De Kuip". They rather finish 3rd in De Kuip than get closer in some modern bowl. The example of modern stadium like that terrible, soulless Arena doesn't help either.
    Fans seeing their stadium as their 2nd home basically. Pretty sure that happens at a lot of real football clubs in Europe and South America but i think it is unheard of in the States.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,041 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

NFL in particular is terrible for it.

They're not clubs with local roots, they're franchise options.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Except Green Bay :)

Lambeau is certainly a stadium on my list to go to.

Westfalenstadion, Braga, Wrigley, Fenway, Lambeau and Mile High... oh yeah.

lambeau02_1600x1200.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

In the US it's newer cities in the south and west that tend to see teams move more so than more traditional cities in the north and east.

As mentioned Green Bay aren't going anywhere, nor any team in Chicago, Detroit, Philly, NY , Boston etc.

Many sports teams in those cities have refurbished old stadiums or relocated to new ones close by in the past two decades.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Patww79 wrote: »
    I used to live near Boston College and a few nights a week we'd head down to their campus for a jumpers-for-goalposts game of football on their grass pitches. One week it had been particularly wet and we were gonna make a mess of the grass so the local groundsman told us to go play on the astroturf in the stadium instead.

Bunch of Irish lads, having a kickabout in a 45k seater stadium....
    Alumni_Stadium_Aerial_2007_32.JPG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

There are some good urban exploration videos on YouTube of the Pontiac Silverdome. Place is in absolute bits! Such a shame to see it left to ruin like that!

A temporary stand in Yekaterinburg, for the World Cup...

8bg2v6kwnooz.jpg

36649240680_c4496e8b11_b.jpg

Not Russia's fault apparently, FIFA first said the ground was fine and then demaded 13.000 extra seats.

I like it :pac:
    I love stadiums that don't make sense and aren't just one contiguous structure and that look like they were done as they went along.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,044 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

A temporary stand in Yekaterinburg, for the World Cup...

8bg2v6kwnooz.jpg

36649240680_c4496e8b11_b.jpg

Not Russia's fault apparently, FIFA first said the ground was fine and then demaded 13.000 extra seats.

13000 fans on what looks like seats perched on top of scaffolding!

I wouldn't want to sit in those seats. They look like a terrible accident waiting to happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,401 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Are they cutting out that roof section? Surely obstructs the view from the back rows which is already a fair distance from the pitch.

**** decision

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

That doesnt look anyway safe at all. :o

Good luck going to the top of that stand if its left like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

The plans for that stand must have been drawn up after one too many Vodkas

Collie D wrote: »
    Are they cutting out that roof section? Surely obstructs the view from the back rows which is already a fair distance from the pitch.

**** decision

View from the top row apparently:

f2dfbba59a742b5124d21dabcef5c066_760x0_1024.620.0.0.jpg

I am almost just for that stand happy Holland will not qualify.
    There will be a country facing a national disaster due to that stand.

it is really one of those "You need extra seats?? < hold my beer wodka >

32 pages of pics of the construction

inforfun wrote: »
    I am almost just for that stand happy Holland will not qualify.
    There will be a country facing a national disaster due to that stand.

it is really one of those "You need extra seats?? < hold my beer wodka >

32 pages of pics of the construction
    Why? Looks fine once it's segregated.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,209 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

The exact same thing was done at Corinthians stadium for the 2014 world cup. The temp stands were removed after the world cup.

And now that I think of it at Eden Park for the 2011 Rugby World Cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,044 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

What if every fan in that stand are bouncing up and down at the same time?

Which happens often in football stadia.

I wouldn't want to be on it.

As for the view from the back, you may ad well be in the house watching on TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭SEANoftheDEAD

If they die... They die!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

NIMAN wrote: »

I wouldn't want to be on it.

As for the view from the back, you may ad well be in the house watching on TV.

Well if the roof does not block your view the distance looks to be the same for away fans at Newcastle

NIMAN wrote: »

If it's not designed for it then we'll find out soon.

[/quote]As for the view from the back, you may ad well be in the house watching on TV.[/QUOTE]
    **** all different to most hyuuuge stadia.

If they die... They die!

Sure no one has met an untimely end in Yekatarinberg...
    ...oh wait!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Execution_of_the_Romanov_family

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,209 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

As I was saying earlier. Corinthians where the upper tier at each end was temporary scaffolding.
    472cce9e5a663fa13546c4d5083e5eed.jpg

Which was removed after the world cup
    arena-corinthians-during.jpg

There's nothing unususal about the Ekaterinburg stadium.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

The Corinthians stadium temporary seating looks a lot safer for some reason... The angle/pitch of the seats seems very sharp on the Russian stadium. You wouldn't get me up in that stand for sure!

Some closer looks on that temp stand at the bottom of this link
    Not as bad as i first thought but i would like to sit all the way at the top. That stand is ending up in the clouds almost.

Close to being ready, just a few more weeks and it will be opened:

Kopewx0.jpg

Previous pictures didn't seem to load :pac:

A comparison with the other stands:

Ypk8E35.jpg

The plan probably is that once this is finished the stand on the left side of the second picture will be next, then on to the (for now) biggest stand followed by the one on the right.

Close to being ready, just a few more weeks and it will be opened:

Kopewx0.jpg

Previous pictures didn't seem to load :pac:

A comparison with the other stands:

Ypk8E35.jpg

The plan probably is that once this is finished the stand on the left side of the second picture will be next, then on to the (for now) biggest stand followed by the one on the right.

What stadium is that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

79451.jpg

To:

9773190.jpeg?v=qlwF3Wg
    What stadium is that?

Believe its Royal Antwerps new stadium...

• Advertisement

I was wrecking my head wondering about the RAFC on the seats.

Advertisement