Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Football stadiums and stands - the good and the bad...

1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

I wouldnt be too surprised if they have those on at every match so people always have a clean seat.
    There might be a roof but it is Basq country where the rain falls horizontal at times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,949 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

inforfun wrote: »
    the rain falls horizontal at times.

I hope they took that in to consideration.

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Tomw86

Was at the old Highbury - Didn't think much of it, but then again I was young.

Elland Road - excellent stadium but was empty so atmosphere was non-existent.

White Hart Lane - Very good atmosphere and always seemed to sell out.

Tallaght Stadium - The best stadium in the LOI hands down, the South Stand adds an extra dimension to the atmosphere and helps keep the noise in. Very impressed with the continual investment and would recommend a visit to anyone.

New York City - Yankees stadium converted to football from Baseball. Debateable playing surface but good atmosphere and the fans are certainly enthusiastic over there. Top notch facilities as you would expect with it being home of the Yankees.

My absolute favourite and one I'm sure many people have on their bucket list is La Bombenera, Home of Boca Juniors. Was absolutely mental and the fans were singing for 90minutes even though it was a nothing game at the end of the season. Would love to be there for a River Plate match.

My own bucket list would involve the Bearnbau and Nou Camp. Also Some of the displays put on in German stadiums are crazy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Meanwhile in Austria they've planted 300 trees in a stadium in the name of art

880x495_cmsv2_4050e3bd-6697-58ba-8f8d-931359419ae3-4135634.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭LoughNeagh2017

I was at Old Trafford recently and found the seats very cramped, maybe it is just because I have gained weight in recent years.

My favourite ground is Stamford Bridge, I have been 7 times, it looks best when you sit in the West Lower and can see the sun shining on the blue seats and yellow paint.

I found Nottingham Forests ground very pleasant, it is right beside a river and is very English looking.

I also love the old Wembley but I never was at it, the Old Croke Park too, Casement Park was very nice too with the yellow seats.

Worst looking I have been to is the Reebok Stadium.

There are some nice old fashioned grounds here in Ulster but I don't like attending NI soccer games.

Inter and AC submit two different plans for a new 60,000 stadium next door to the San Siro. One will be chosen with the project costed at £572m and taking 3 years to build. They considered renovating the San Siro but it would have taken 6 years and ended up with less than 60,000 capacity.

https://twitter.com/Inter_en/status/1177158316771991554

_108982624_milan2.jpg

_108982626_milan6.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Iirc renovating the San Siro would also have cost nearly as much as building a new one.

Yep, new stadium projected at £572m, but renovation as follows
    The clubs opted against renovating the San Siro, which would have cost an estimated 510m euros (£452m), meant a loss of 115m euros (£102m) in revenue during construction, taken five to six years to complete, and have had a lower capacity than the new stadium.
    https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/49835972

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

I was in it on Saturday. Absolutely nothing wrong with it, be a major shame to knock it down. It hasn't got a load of fancy bars and hundreds of corporate boxes, but it's a fúcking football stadium, not the opera.

Iconic arena.

• Advertisement

I was in it on Saturday. Absolutely nothing wrong with it, be a major shame to knock it down. It hasn't got a load of fancy bars and hundreds of corporate boxes, but it's a fúcking football stadium, not the opera.

Iconic arena.

Been in it myself and would agree that it is functional. Its a pretty dirty stadium but it works. But the problem with functional is that football has moved on. In its current state it is not good enough to attract new custom and hence most AC/Inter games are in front of a half empty stadium. The reality these days is that if the only cohort of supporters you're attracting are men mainly in their 20s and 30s then you're not going to fill a stadium like that, as can be seen now. Old dirty stadiums need investment in order to attract other cohorts such as families and the corporates.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Maybe I don't see it because I'm exactly the demographic you mentioned.

As am I and I dont mind these dirty stadiums, I like them rough and ready. But the problem is the market at large outside of the hardcore supporters dont like them and thats why they are not full.
    Modern day football clubs need to attract corporates and women, families with kids, etc to fill their stadiums and for that you need clean toilets, good facilities and a clean stadium. Before Croke Park got done up a lot of women wouldnt go along as it was filthy with manky toilets, nowadays it is a family day out and everyone goes.

I think the other problem for the San Siro is the capacity is currently 80,000 but it is only ever full to capacity for two games a year for the Milan derbies. Attendances are around 40,000-50,000 for other Inter/AC games, depending on who they are playing. All those extra unused seats/areas still have to be maintained so they're a sunk cost and loss making overall. By reducing to 60,000 with upgraded facilities attracting families, kids, corporates they'll be able to fill it every week and thus all areas are making profit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Iconic arena.

Same problem for my 2nd home, De Kuip\Feyenoord stadium.

Every (Dutch) player's dream to play there but unfortunately it has less business seats\boxes than some of the smaller stadiums in The Netherlands.

So now they are fighting for years already to dump some overpriced soulless **** bowl close by but so far the final decision to built has still been avoided.

There is a group called "Save De Kuip" with a plan that cost half as much, expends the capacity to 60.000 and still keep the shape and probably athmosphere of the old Kuip.

But then when hear the muppets about "you dont sit dry everywhere" you really start to hate modern football.

This would have been ready today if they had give it the go ahead in 2014\15.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,346 ✭✭✭nc6000

Pity Ireland couldn't get to co host the Rugby World Cup. South Africa won the right to host it over us. But it is a really rough place. The thought of getting the GAA stadiums around the country up to a certain standard would have been great for us.

I think a Rugby World Cup would work out just fine with our stadiums. But what can you do?

France won RWC 2023 not South Africa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,949 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Is it just me or does Spurs new stadium look awful on the tv for floodlit matches?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Tomw86 wrote: »
    Was at the old Highbury - Didn't think much of it, but then again I was young.

Elland Road - excellent stadium but was empty so atmosphere was non-existent.

White Hart Lane - Very good atmosphere and always seemed to sell out.

Tallaght Stadium - The best stadium in the LOI hands down, the South Stand adds an extra dimension to the atmosphere and helps keep the noise in. Very impressed with the continual investment and would recommend a visit to anyone.

New York City - Yankees stadium converted to football from Baseball. Debateable playing surface but good atmosphere and the fans are certainly enthusiastic over there. Top notch facilities as you would expect with it being home of the Yankees.

My absolute favourite and one I'm sure many people have on their bucket list is La Bombenera, Home of Boca Juniors. Was absolutely mental and the fans were singing for 90minutes even though it was a nothing game at the end of the season. Would love to be there for a River Plate match.

My own bucket list would involve the Bearnbau and Nou Camp. Also Some of the displays put on in German stadiums are crazy.

Agree great stadium for LOI games, but the seat colours make it look silly IMO

Advertisement