Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anniversary of the shooting dead of Michael Collins

Options
  • 21-08-2016 8:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭

94 years ago since the assassination of General Michael Collins by the irregulars during the civil war at Béal na Bláth. How the world and Ireland is such a different place since then. The treaty had only been passed the previous years December and a bloody civil war had erupted.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

KingBrian2 wrote: »
    94 years ago since the assassination of General Michael Collins by the irregulars during the civil war at Béal na Bláth. How the world and Ireland is such a different place since then. The treaty had only been passed the previous years December and a bloody civil war had erupted.

The Treaty was passed in January that year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

4ensic15 wrote: »
    The Treaty was passed in January that year.

I meant the signing of the treaty but thanks for pointing that out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

Ireland's most grievous loss.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 21,350 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Nice to have the President there yesterday. However, I think now with the 100 year anniversary of many of these events coming around, the annual commemerations should be dropped.
    The one national day for fallen soldiers is enough.

I meant the signing of the treaty but thanks for pointing that out.

There is a big difference between signing and passing. Anyway, he knew what he was letting himself in for when he signed it. When he did it, he announced it was his death warrant. He was in poor health when he died and may well have died young anyway, like Griffith.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

There is a big difference between signing and passing. Anyway, he knew what he was letting himself in for when he signed it. When he did it, he announced it was his death warrant. He was in poor health when he died and may well have died young anyway, like Griffith.

Yes well fighting a bitter civil war would put a strain on any man's health.

Yes well fighting a bitter civil war would put a strain on any man's health.

Sean Clancy was beside Collins on the taking over of Dublin Castle, fought in the Civil War and lived to be 105. What effect did the Civil War have on his health?

Sean Clancy was beside Collins on the taking over of Dublin Castle, fought in the Civil War and lived to be 105. What effect did the Civil War have on his health?

I'm certain it was bad enough during the war years. It was a horrible ordeal to go through.

I'm certain it was bad enough during the war years. It was a horrible ordeal to go through.

Yes. But what happened to his health?

• Advertisement

Yes. But what happened to his health?

I don't know, you tell me, I'm talking about Collins and Griffith died shortly after due to illness.

I don't know, you tell me, I'm talking about Collins and Griffith died shortly after due to illness.

You said the strain of a Civil War would affect anybody's health. I asked you how it affected Sean Clancy's health. Now you are saying it didn't affect his health. Collins was not well when he died and might have collapsed just like Griffith had he not been shot. There is no need to be making excuses for Collins.

You said the strain of a Civil War would affect anybody's health. I asked you how it affected Sean Clancy's health. Now you are saying it didn't affect his health. Collins was not well when he died and might have collapsed just like Griffith had he not been shot. There is no need to be making excuses for Collins.

I didn't say it did not affect Sean Clancy's health all I said was I am not aware of the biography of Clancy or some of the other leading Republicans. I am however aware of Collins among others and his health had deteriorated in part due to the life he was leading. He was extraordinary in his abilities and endured a hell of lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Kettleson

Is it possible/likely that new evidence will/could eventually emerge to change the reality/understanding/interpretation of both Collins and De Valeras standing in Irish history?

Most of it appears to be based on opinion.

I didn't say it did not affect Sean Clancy's health all I said was I am not aware of the biography of Clancy or some of the other leading Republicans.

How then could you say that being in a Civil War would have affected anyone;s health?

Kettleson wrote: »
    Is it possible/likely that new evidence will/could eventually emerge to change the reality/understanding/interpretation of both Collins and De Valeras standing in Irish history?

Plenty of books. programs, historical studies and witness testimonies have already been done but yes I would imagine as we get more details about other Civil War and Independence War revolutionaries that more clear and accurate picture will emerge. On the issue of Collins health we know he experienced enormous pressure as General during the war years. Griffith himself died of illness very shortly after Collin's death. My remarks on Collins is not in any way to diminish the role of other prominant revolutionaries.

Plenty of books. programs, historical studies and witness testimonies have already been done but yes I would imagine as we get more details about other Civil War and Independence War revolutionaries that more clear and accurate picture will emerge. On the issue of Collins health we know he experienced enormous pressure as General during the war years. Griffith himself died of illness very shortly after Collin's death. My remarks on Collins is not in any way to diminish the role of other prominant revolutionaries.

You couldn't make it up. Griffith died before Collins!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭BalcombeSt4

The killing of one of the first military dictators of the 20th century.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

The killing of one of the first military dictators of the 20th century.

Hogwash, Sir.

tac

You couldn't make it up. Griffith died before Collins!

The death of Griffith is very much reduced in significance in Irish history. Collins gets most of the attention while Griffith's role and even how he died is very obscure. Dev equally gets a huge share of coverage during the war years but men like Griffith who played pivotal parts are greatly diminished.

This is how the Wikipedia article of Griffith reads " Griffith died suddenly in Dublin on 12 August 1922. A public funeral was held four days later and he was buried at Glasnevin Cemetery, Dublin."

Given the fact he was one of the leading negotiators at the treaty talks and he set up the movement Sinn Fein back in 1907. You'd have thought a better account of his death would come out in the intervening years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Kettleson wrote: »

Honestly not being facetious, but it's unlikely any reliable new evidence is going to emerge after 94 years?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Arsemageddon

The death of Griffith is very much reduced in significance in Irish history. Collins gets most of the attention while Griffith's role and even how he died is very obscure. Dev equally gets a huge share of coverage during the war years but men like Griffith who played pivotal parts are greatly diminished.

This is how the Wikipedia article of Griffith reads " Griffith died suddenly in Dublin on 12 August 1922. A public funeral was held four days later and he was buried at Glasnevin Cemetery, Dublin."

Given the fact he was one of the leading negotiators at the treaty talks and he set up the movement Sinn Fein back in 1907. You'd have thought a better account of his death would come out in the intervening years.

You haven't even bothered to read all of the Wikipedia page your giving out about, you just read the last paragraph.

The circumstances surrounding Griffiths death are well known- he had been convalescing in a nursing home in the weeks prior to his death as he had become seriously run down due to stress and had suffered a severe bout of tonsillitis. He insisted on returning to work and died of a either a heart attack or brain haemorrhage as he was leaving the nursing home.

Life expectancy was much shorter in the early 20th century, that people died young (or relatively young) was just accepted. Autopsies were a rarity back then.

You haven't even bothered to read all of the Wikipedia page your giving out about, you just read the last paragraph.

The circumstances surrounding Griffiths death are well known- he had been convalescing in a nursing home in the weeks prior to his death as he had become seriously run down due to stress and had suffered a severe bout of tonsillitis. He insisted on returning to work and died of a either a heart attack or brain haemorrhage as he was leaving the nursing home.

Life expectancy was much shorter in the early 20th century, that people died young (or relatively young) was just accepted. Autopsies were a rarity back then.

Thanks for that. I honestly never knew about that.

I honestly never knew about that.

I can well believe it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭jonniebgood1

I can well believe it!

Stick to the topic, any more goading or off topic posts may earn infractions.

I was also not aware Collins was ill before his assassination by the Irregulars. Had he not being shot he could well have lived as long as Dev or Clancy. Griffith did not die young.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,438 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

I was also not aware Collins was ill before his assassination by the Irregulars. Had he not being shot he could well have lived as long as Dev or Clancy. Griffith did not die young.
    Griffiths was fifty, and even in 1922 a death at fifty was an untimely death.

For a man in 1920s Ireland, life expectancy at birth was 57.4 years. But this average was brought down by high infant and childhood mortality. A man who surivved to adulthood could expect to live, on average, until his late 60s. A man who was still alive at 50 could reasonably look forward to seeing age 70.

So, yeah, Griffiths died before his time, and it was seen at the time, and since, that his early death was attributable at least in part to strain and overwork.

Collins was a much younger man, who had generally enjoyed excellent health both as a child and an adult. Undoubtedly his position in 1922 was a very stressful one, especially after Griffith died, but I think the prospects that he would have coped with that stress, at least physically, were much better.

Peregrinus wrote: »
    Griffiths was fifty, and even in 1922 a death at fifty was an untimely death.

For a man in 1920s Ireland, life expectancy at birth was 57.4 years. But this average was brought down by high infant and childhood mortality. A man who surivved to adulthood could expect to live, on average, until his late 60s. A man who was still alive at 50 could reasonably look forward to seeing age 70.

So, yeah, Griffiths died before his time, and it was seen at the time, and since, that his early death was attributable at least in part to strain and overwork.

Collins was a much younger man, who had generally enjoyed excellent health both as a child and an adult. Undoubtedly his position in 1922 was a very stressful one, especially after Griffith died, but I think the prospects that he would have coped with that stress, at least physically, were much better.
    Collins had stomach trouble when he died. He also had a cold when he went to Cork but nevertheless sat in the back of an open car. Like Griffith, he refused to slow down or rest. He would take steps three at a go to save time. He slept little. He was up at 6 Am on his last day. the reality is that his immune system was breaking down and had he survived Beal na Blath there is no guarantee that he would have lived a normal life span. It is much more likely he would have been beset by health problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,438 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Collins had stomach trouble when he died. He also had a cold when he went to Cork but nevertheless sat in the back of an open car. Like Griffith, he refused to slow down or rest. He would take steps three at a go to save time. He slept little. He was up at 6 Am on his last day. the reality is that his immune system was breaking down and had he survived Beal na Blath there is no guarantee that he would have lived a normal life span. It is much more likely he would have been beset by health problems.
    Collins routinely taking steps three at a go and getting up at 6 am is hardly an indication of poor health, 4ensic15. I think your claim that his immune system was breaking down because he had stomach trouble and a cold is a bit of a stretch. Compromised immune system, I'd buy. But depleted or compromised immune system as a result of stress isn't at all uncommon, and full recovery is usual. To go through such an experience at 30 wouldn't have implications for future life expectancy.

We can point to lots of leaders who fought wars that lasted much longer than the Irish Civil War, and who did so at an older age, and already in poorer health, than Collins, and yet lived to a ripe old age. Indeed, if we look at the leaders on the other side of the Irish Civil War, who presumably suffered similar stress in the conflict plus the additional stress of losing, Frank Aiken died in his bed at the age of 85, Eamon de Valera lived to 92. Collins himself was succeeded as leader of the Free State side by W T Cosgrave as Chairman of the Provisional Government and by Richard Mulcahy as Commander in Chief; both lived to be 85. So, really, there's not much reason for thinking that the stress of leading either side in the Irish Civil War would shorten life expectancy.

Really, apart from Collins himself, the only Civil War leader on either side who didn't live to a ripe old age was Liam Lynch, and we know why that[/i[ was.

• Advertisement

There's a cult of Michael Collins out there. It existed while he was alive, and it escalated after he died. And those who belong to this cult ascribe almost superhuman or supernatural powers to him. The truth is, he was flawed. He died a broken man, by all accounts, as he had to face up to these flaws. He regretted the signing of the treaty, apparently, yet felt compelled to fight in its name. He died a shadow of himself. British intelligence documents even comment on the deterioration in his appearance, he had gotten quite out of shape.

There's an obvious element of human tragedy in the story of Michael Collins. But one must balance whatever sympathies they have for him on a human level with the fact that he was responsible for a lot of tragedy and brutality before he died.

Advertisement