Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anniversary of the shooting dead of Michael Collins

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

KingBrian2 wrote: »
    I'd say Collins would have shown the same level of brutality against anti treatyites that he used against the British forces when a more diplomatic tone should have been adopted not only him but similar views expressed by the Free Staters. We have to consider different times a lot more violent.

Not really. Violence can break out very easily if you let in hate: look at what happened in the lifetime of quite young people in Biafra, Bosnia, Serbia, Syria, Kuwait…

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

Chuchote wrote: »
    Not really. Violence can break out very easily if you let in hate: look at what happened in the lifetime of quite young people in Biafra, Bosnia, Serbia, Syria, Kuwait…

Incase you forgot WW1 had just taken place and men like Collins were locked up Frongach internment camp. Came out hardened even more than before.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭lizzylad84

But didn't collins travel to Cork to not only inspect free state troops but negotiate a truce with anti treaty forces

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

lizzylad84 wrote: »
    But didn't collins travel to Cork to not only inspect free state troops but negotiate a truce with anti treaty forces

Deep into enemy territory from a crowd that were resolute in opposing the treaty.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,453 ✭✭✭✭Water John

There is no evidence of this, except that Dev was in the same general area.
    I think Collins may have been making a point in travelling to his home place.

• Advertisement

Yes, Collins was going home to Cork. He also seems to have felt sort of immortal at this stage, the poor guy. The person who should have been leading the convoy and knew the winding roads of the area was sick and was replaced. They'd all lashed back a load of celebratory Clonakilty Wrestler. Collins had never been in an actual gunfight and shouted to stand and fight, then stood up in the middle of the road instead of sheltering. A whole hideous confluence of events.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

Collins had never been in an actual gunfight.

The Rising?

Jesus. wrote: »
    The Rising?

Well, yeah, sorry :D

But he'd spent the War of Independence being the boss who sent others into gunfire. What he did - deciding to 'stand and fight' and then walking into the middle of the road while bullets were whizzing - was crazily incautious.

Did he not participate in the gun-fighting a'tall?

Did he not participate in the gun-fighting a'tall?

Nope.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 46 Two and one

Would Collins not be described as a terrorist?

Would Collins not be described as a terrorist?

He would, if you were on the other side.

Lord Roberts (to whom the crazed people of Waterford recently put up a statue) could be described as a terrorist; in the Boer War, he penned Boer women and children in concentration camps, where 26,370 Boer women and children died, and 81% of those who died were children

He would, if you were on the other side.

Lord Roberts (to whom the crazed people of Waterford recently put up a statue) could be described as a terrorist; in the Boer War, he penned Boer women and children in concentration camps, where 26,370 Boer women and children died, and 81% of those who died were children

Oh yes, I wouldn't view Collins as a terrorist. It's just that more recent IRA men and women are labelled as terrorists and there's not much difference in their actions.

Oh yes, I wouldn't view Collins as a terrorist. It's just that more recent IRA men and women are labelled as terrorists and there's not much difference in their actions.

I don't want to get into a discussion of the modern IRA, which ends up as a distressing showering of mutual abuse, but it's important to realise that Collins, De Valera, Cathal Brugha et al were also running a massive civil disobedience campaign, allied with many county councils and city corporations, which made Ireland ungovernable and gradually set up a parallel government. It was this more than anything else that won our independence (imho).

Nope.

What about that part in the film where he chucked turf on top of an RIC barracks?

What about that part in the film where he chucked turf on top of an RIC barracks?

What about the part in the film where Broy died heroically, killed by the Tans? That would be Colonel Eamon "Ned" Broy (1887–1972)

Hmm I don't know Chucknote. Its hard to believe a Guerrilla commander of that era never got into a firefight in two years of conflict

I don't want to get into a discussion of the modern IRA, which ends up as a distressing showering of mutual abuse, but it's important to realise that Collins, De Valera, Cathal Brugha et al were also running a massive civil disobedience campaign, allied with many county councils and city corporations, which made Ireland ungovernable and gradually set up a parallel government. It was this more than anything else that won our independence (imho).

Well it didn't win our independence!

Hmm I don't know Chucknote. Its hard to believe a Guerrilla commander of that era never got into a firefight in two years of conflict

Not really. My great-aunts, who worked with him, used to describe how he'd set up an office (at one stage in one of the roads in Temple Bar almost opposite Dublin Castle) and cycle innocently to and from it, and respectable-looking people would go in to do business in there, carrying information from the Castle, the RIC and DMP stations and so on. If there was a raid, he'd go out and cycle off again, nobody suspecting a thing.

He was the overall commander. It wouldn't have done a lot of good if he got himself killed going bang-bang at a tender full of soldiers.

And yes, it did win our independence. Last time I voted, it was for an Irish government.

Not really. My great-aunts, who worked with him, used to describe how he'd set up an office (at one stage in one of the roads in Temple Bar almost opposite Dublin Castle) and cycle innocently to and from it, and respectable-looking people would go in to do business in there, carrying information from the Castle, the RIC and DMP stations and so on. If there was a raid, he'd go out and cycle off again, nobody suspecting a thing.

He was the overall commander. It wouldn't have done a lot of good if he got himself killed going bang-bang at a tender full of soldiers.

And yes, it did win our independence. Last time I voted, it was for an Irish government.

Part independence!

• Advertisement

…aaaannnd I'm out of this thread.

Good points Chuck. I didn't know about the Lord Roberts bust either. I just looked it up. Interesting.

…aaaannnd I'm out of this thread.

Last time I checked there was still 6 counties under foreign rule! That's part independence, sorry if you don't like facts. Then again you believe the story of Collins used to ride around on his bike unnoticed, all 6'4 of him apparantly. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,453 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Your innuendo there is that Collins was in the pay of the British. That's how daft your view is.

On your other point, the democratic vote indicates your views are very much a minority.

Water John wrote: »
    Your innuendo there is that Collins was in the pay of the British. That's how daft your view is.

On your other point, the democratic vote indicates your views are very much a minority.

What you on about?

Part of Ireland is under the rule of a foreign country. That's a fact irrespective of any vote.

Last time I checked there was still 6 counties under foreign rule! That's part independence, sorry if you don't like facts. Then again you believe the story of Collins used to ride around on his bike unnoticed, all 6'4 of him apparantly. :D

He was only around 5'10. Tall for his day alright but hardly a giant.

He was only around 5'10. Tall for his day alright but hardly a giant.

Yeah but the myth about him that was repeated earlier usually includes that he was 6'4. To believe he cycled around unnoticed and without a care in the world is laughable.

He was no military genius. His one foray as a general was at Béal na Bláth, and that could easily have been avoided in the first place had he taken the advice of people with actual military experience.

Micks talents lay in human resource management/organising.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Arsemageddon

He was no military genius. His one foray as a general was at Béal na Bláth, and that could easily have been avoided in the first place had he taken the advice of people with actual military experience.

Micks talents lay in human resource management/organising.

You seem to be confusing strategy and tactics. Collins excelled at the former.

• Advertisement

Yeah but the myth about him that was repeated earlier usually includes that he was 6'4. To believe he cycled around unnoticed and without a care in the world is laughable.

Ah I see. What did he do so?

One man tells me he never fired a shot in anger and another tells me he never rode a bike!

Advertisement