Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insurance & epilepsy

• 21-08-2016 8:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm 25 and I've a learner's permit (originally issued 4 years ago and re-issued this year) & want to start learning in the near future. I have been cleared to drive by consultant & GP with regard to my epilepsy.

I'm expecting to have a higher insurance premium due to the diagnosis of epilepsy but the question is - does anyone have any experience of by how much it might increase? 10%? 20%?

I've a feeling the question might be how long is a piece of string but if anyone has any experience with this, I'd really appreciate hearing from you.

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Jammyc wrote: »
    Hi all,

I'm 25 and I've a learner's permit (originally issued 4 years ago and re-issued this year) & want to start learning in the near future. I have been cleared to drive by consultant & GP with regard to my epilepsy.

I'm expecting to have a higher insurance premium due to the diagnosis of epilepsy but the question is - does anyone have any experience of by how much it might increase? 10%? 20%?

I've a feeling the question might be how long is a piece of string but if anyone has any experience with this, I'd really appreciate hearing from you.

Cheers

In my experience loadings are not applied for medical conditions as that would be discriminatory.

Every insurer will ask for a medical cert (which you have) and look for a new one at each renewal but other than that there should be no issues with relation to the condition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 797 ✭✭✭cplwhisper

Agree, no loading for medical but they will request sight of your drivers licence to confirm code 101, so they are satisfied that you have declared Med info to NDLS.

The expiry date of licence is recorded and sight of renewed licence before that years renewal is normal practice.

All the best

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

That's a really pleasant surprise. Thanks very much to both of you. I was honestly convinced that insurance companies could legally charge a higher premium for higher "risk" etc.

Thanks for the info.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Jammyc wrote: »
    That's a really pleasant surprise. Thanks very much to both of you. I was honestly convinced that insurance companies could legally charge a higher premium for higher "risk" etc.

Thanks for the info.

Your condition does not effect your ability to drive so it cannot be loaded.

It would be viewed the same as someone with a pacemaker, once you are deemed medically fit to drive by your doctor then that's all that insurers are concerned with.

I actually had a case in the last week where a policy holder suffered a seizure a couple of months ago. Their physician said they should not drive until mid October so it was simply a matter of suspending the policy until the person is certified fit and the suspension will be lifted, no loading's or conditions applied.

Best of luck with the search.

Advertisement