Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bookmakers Closing Accounts

Options
  • 21-08-2016 8:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭

As there are a lot of members of this forum who have had accounts at bookmakers closed as they have been too profitable I'm wondering if anybody has dug a bit deeper to understand the legal grounding that bookmakers use to allow them to service one customer but refuse service to another customer?

Do you know if there have been any legal challenges and what the case reference is?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭famagusta

i don't know much about the legal grounding but they seem to have no problem closing accounts.

The most annoying thing is when they don't close your account officially but keep reducing your stake limits down to a paltry amount, in effect closing it i suppose. They also remove all the account specials, best odds guaranteed etc.. very annoying!!

I think in australia they have to allow you to stake whatever to win 1000 dollars, i wish we could bring something like this in here.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Division

In New South Wales you can receive a minimum payout of $2,000. I haven't heard of any similar legislation elsewhere.

I'm surprised if there has not been a legal challenge considering the amount of money at stake for some of the top sports bettors.

I would like to get a better understanding of the legislation in Ireland which effectively allows bookmakers to discriminate.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭famagusta

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭xredmanlfcx

Just had PaddyPower close my account on "business grounds".

Advertisement