Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vuelta Stage 3 - for the Climbers

Options
  • 21-08-2016 9:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭

Sorry in advance for the amateur nature of the post but anyway . . . Big long preview here. http://cyclingquotes.com/news/2016_vuelta_a_espana_stage_3_preview/

Ends on what they describe as "the brutally steep Mirador del Ezaro." Their tip is Chaves for the win with the GC lads all in with some kind of shout though especially perfect for Joaquim Rodriguez, except he's not here. Valverde then perhaps, but after a very hard season even his legs mightn't be quite what they might.

Can Clint Eastwood, the Man With No Name . . . sorry that should read, Can Alberto Contador, the Man With No Team, pull something out of the fire for the lone gunmen out there - though apparently not quite his kind of climb.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

Contador should win this ...

Chaves & Yates should also up there

• Registered Users Posts: 10,260 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Always love that quote "that type of climb doesn't suit him" I use it myself quite a bit :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭pajor

CARTE.jpg
    PROFIL.png

Belgian telly have a problem with their commentary. It's back and sounds like they've gone all old skool. Sounds like their on the phone now.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭neris

sean kellys on eurosport today

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

neris wrote: »
    sean kellys on eurosport today

That's the best news I've heard today.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Warren Barguil (Giant-Alpecin) has quit the race.
    He's had bad sinus problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,337 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Lol teejay dropped on a cat 2 before the end.

SURPRISE!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭pelevin

Only 11kms to go.

• Advertisement

Nasty looking crash for Astana team leader Lopez.

Looks like the 3 man breakaway should make it. The Belgians are getting excited for Serry.

Murderous lookin climb. Genie on his own.

Kruijswijk lost 2 mins!!

just wondering is anyone else watching the stage today online on the player and if so does it keep stopping and buffering? we changed internet provider since the end of the tour and today teh race kept stopping on me so duno is new internet or eurosport

Stage Top-10:
    CqeZdM_XEAARCuG.jpg

GC Top-10:
    Cqeai_oXYAAUcM1.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

neris wrote: »
    just wondering is anyone else watching the stage today online on the player and if so does it keep stopping and buffering? we changed internet provider since the end of the tour and today teh race kept stopping on me so duno is new internet or eurosport

Mine was buffering and stalling on virigin.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

good stage today. Glad that the breakaway got there in the end.

godtabh wrote: »
    good stage today. Glad that the breakaway got there in the end.

Interesting stage though hard to draw a final conclusion

Contador didn't look great and lost even more time to the favourites

The one to watch for me is Quintana...Movistar seemed to be waiitng for him at one time

Froome did his usual yo yoing ...not sure how he does it but it is very effecive...One minute he looks dead and the next he is up front ...and so quickly ...hard ot know He may do this for the whole race and win

Valverde is looking very good considering this is his 3 GT this year but he could fade

May even be the same podium as 2015 Tour

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Just catching up with the stage now - can't find any decent highlights. Not great by Contador. Sure, he hasn't really raced since the Tour (or earlier if you discount the racing while injured) but that was a lot to give up to the others. I agree with the point many are making that he tries too hard to stay with the front of the race and can't/won't pace himself like Froome, ie, its all or nothing for him. He ends up exploding and losing more time.

Perhaps he will ride into form or maybe he is just getting a bit too old but then you consider Valverde... Its interesting that no formal announcement of a contract with a new team has been made when everyone else's has made their's public. Contador says it about respecting his team but they're packing up so why not announce joining Trek? My conclusion is that he hasn't signed yet since his Tour disappointment and the Vuelta will let him know if he can go on another year with good form.

• Advertisement

velo.2010 wrote: »
    Just catching up with the stage now - can't find any decent highlights. Not great by Contador. Sure, he hasn't really raced since the Tour (or earlier if you discount the racing while injured) but that was a lot to give up to the others. I agree with the point many are making that he tries too hard to stay with the front of the race and can't/won't pace himself like Froome, ie, its all or nothing for him. He ends up exploding and losing more time.

Perhaps he will ride into form or maybe he is just getting a bit too old but then you consider Valverde... Its interesting that no formal announcement of a contract with a new team has been made when everyone else's has made their's public. Contador says it about respecting his team but they're packing up so why not announce joining Trek? My conclusion is that he hasn't signed yet since his Tour disappointment and the Vuelta will let him know if he can go on another year with good form.

Is it a risk signing Contador? I wouldn't have thought so. He can still be competitive and a signing like that would be could for sponsors. Maybe he hasn't made his mind up of sticking around

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

ITV4 show the highlights every evening at 7.00pm for an hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭Decuc500

retalivity wrote: »
    Lol teejay dropped on a cat 2 before the end.

SURPRISE!!!

Didn't he say in an interview before the race that he wasn't going for gc? If he's losing time to get in breaks later in the race then that could be his strategy.

retalivity wrote: »
    Kruijswijk lost 2 mins!!

It's a pity. He got sick after the road race in Rio, so got in hardly any training before the start on Saturday.

pajor wrote: »
    It's a pity. He got sick after the road race in Rio, so got in hardly any training before the start on Saturday.

Yeah but he stillgot to go to the Vuelta unlike Nico who is back on his bike

MPFGLB wrote: »
    Yeah but he stillgot to go to the Vuelta unlike Nico who is back on his bike

wonder will they send Nico to the tour of britain

Decuc500 wrote: »
    Didn't he say in an interview before the race that he wasn't going for gc? If he's losing time to get in breaks later in the race then that could be his strategy.

Just read that this morning so i stand corrected...sanchez is bmc's gc man

Advertisement