Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Warrant out for John Delaney and 5 others in Brazil

Comments

All jokes aside folks. On a serious note, some poor Brazilian axe murderer or serial killer might end up in a cell with Delaney. And have to listen to him bang on and on and on and on and on about Emma...

Lovely Bloke is Dear Leader.

He had a room booked in Rio that he mysteriously never checked in to.

He was at that meeting last night (5 hours) in Earlsfort Terrace.

It's funny enough to hear his name as being a Wanted Man in Brazil, but I've no doubt he'll find some way to squirm and dodge questions here in little ol' Oirland.

Up to their oxters lads, up to their oxters.

john-delaney-10-390x285.jpg

A round of pints should sort out everything ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Wherever power is to be found in this country you can be sure the stench of sleaze is not too far behind.

Our neghbours are enjoying their most successful Olympics in a hundred years while the OCI President going into the Games is sitting in a Brazilian jail and the police want to speak to the head of our football association. You couldn't make this sh*t up. And the sad part is, who really thinks any good will come out of any of this? Because I won't be holding my breath.

GB through money at elite sport, but sport participation rates are down since the London olympics.

meanwhile the most successful community based sports organisation in the world has hugely increased the number of children attending their summer camps and participation rates - the GAA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

All jokes aside folks. On a serious note, some poor Brazilian axe murderer or serial killer might end up in a cell with Delaney. And have to listen to him bang on and on and on and on and on about Emma...
    "I'm in LOOOOOOVE"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭jem

Have to say I dont get the hate towards Delaney other than his salary is huge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,114 ✭✭✭✭listermint

jem wrote: »

Is that you John ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Ok, then read up on the topic and then come back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

Should we get a list going?

I'll start with his treatment of Bobby Robson.
    Fines for LOI clubs if fans sing about him.
    Tie throwing.
    Being a Sindo celebrity.
    Not giving Brian Kerr a decent chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

And here lies in the problem as to why he hasn't been ousted to date.

The League of Ireland is a shambles and is the FAI's "problem child" as quoted by JD.

The state of the grassroots setup in Ireland is a disaster.

He answers to no one, not even questions from the media at AGMs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

LOI clubs should offer up €5,000 each as part of a strategic planning initiative so Dear Leader can survive in Brazilian prison.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

Tie throwing.
    Being a Sindo celebrity.

Can we add crying on national radio about his girlfriend to the list?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Wherever power is to be found in this country you can be sure the stench of sleaze is not too far behind.

Our neghbours are enjoying their most successful Olympics in a hundred years while the OCI President going into the Games is sitting in a Brazilian jail and the police want to speak to the head of our football association. You couldn't make this sh*t up. And the sad part is, who really thinks any good will come out of any of this? Because I won't be holding my breath.
    And to anyone who doubts this, let's not forget what Johnny's daddy resigned over, which is likely why little Johnny is where he is today - http://www.soccer-ireland.com/irish-football-history/merriongate.htm

So if he even does resign, what relative of his will take his place?

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    GB through money at elite sport, but sport participation rates are down since the London olympics.

meanwhile the most successful community based sports organisation in the world has hugely increased the number of children attending their summer camps and participation rates - the GAA.

Is this claim true?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭patmac

Billy86 wrote: »
    Is this claim true?

Ah Jaysus, can we not just enjoy the moment without it been turned into a GAA vs Soccer debate, might as well bring Barstoolers into it as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭liam7831

Usual bogball touting

• Advertisement

patmac wrote: »
    Ah Jaysus, can we not just enjoy the moment without it been turned into a GAA vs Soccer debate, might as well bring Barstoolers into it as well.
    I've got nothing against the GAA and though I prefer football they are by-and-large a much better run organisation than the FAI; it just seemed a bit of a wild claim. But then again, so would hurling being the fastest field sport in the world so who knows!

I'll be getting some laugh off the girl in the cafe downstairs though, she's Brazilian and always on about how corrupt the place is. Says something that Delaney was too crooked for them to stomach for even a few weeks! :pac:

Tie throwing.
    Being a Sindo celebrity.
    The League of Ireland is a shambles and is the FAI's "problem child" as quoted by JD.

1.?
    2 lol
    3. who cares if he trows a tie.
    3 sindo - so what
    4. b kerr- shouldn't have been given it in the first place- just not good enough and didnt have the experience for the job.
    5 he is right it is a problem bottom line is people don't go to the games that is their choice so there is a lack of money in the clubs to be frank that isn't delaney's fault nor is the mismanagement of many clubs for years.
    I would suggest his/FAI's biggest fault is not taking on the vested interests in the schoolboy game and bringing all under one umbrella the FAI and have the clubs more linked to the youth setup.
    BYTW I dont particularly like JD in that he supported ak47 in the last election

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

Tie throwing.
    Being a Sindo celebrity.

1.?
    2 lol
    3. who cares if he trows a tie.
    3 sindo - so what
    4. b kerr- shouldn't have been given it in the first place- just not good enough and didnt have the experience for the job.
    5 he is right it is a problem bottom line is people don't go to the games that is their choice so there is a lack of money in the clubs to be frank that isn't delaney's fault nor is the mismanagement of many clubs for years.
    I would suggest his/FAI's biggest fault is not taking on the vested interests in the schoolboy game and bringing all under one umbrella the FAI and have the clubs more linked to the youth setup.
    BYTW I dont particularly like JD in that he supported ak47 in the last election
    If the league of Ireland is a problem child it is because it has been neglected all these years by the FAI. John Delaney being head of that family should be done for being an abusive father.

To say it is not his problem when his salary is more that the league winners earn is ridiculous. If some of that money went on marketing, improving facilities etc then maybe the league wouldnt be in such a state

Perhaps people might think that maybe just maybe a huge % of the football supporting public in Ireland have no interest what so ever in LOI.
    ( his salary is mad Ted)

Ah here.

I didn't think Kerr was a very good manager for us yield, but let's not pretend the guy who got us to third in the youth World Cup (and only missed the semis in the next one on penalties to the hosts) and who also won both the u18 and u20 Euros for us was not deserving. They're still some of Ireland's greatest team sporting achievements, youth tournaments or not the late 90s were remarkable for us in that sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

Perhaps people might think that maybe just maybe a huge % of the football supporting public in Ireland have no interest what so ever in LOI.
    ( his salary is mad Ted)

Football supporters in Ireland not interested in football in their own country, bit of an Oxymoron there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Tie throwing.
    Being a Sindo celebrity.

Caught singing a sectarian song in a pub in Dublin.

Might want to re-think your criticism of Team GB at the elite level. Team GB has just had a remarkably successful Olympic games, second only to the USA in terms of medals. Participation in sport at non-elite levels goes through peaks and troughs. It'll rise again in the UK over the coming months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Berserker wrote: »
    Might want to re-think your criticism of Team GB at the elite level. Team GB has just had a remarkably successful Olympic games, second only to the USA in terms of medals. Participation in sport at non-elite levels goes through peaks and troughs. It'll rise again in the UK over the coming months.

Thanks to heroes like Mo Farah. :rolleyes:

Zebra3 wrote: »
    :confused:

I hope you're not referring to the fact he 'only' moved to England at 8 years of age. Because that would... kind of dumb.

Also, Farah accounted for exactly 2 of Britain's 67 medals.

EDIT: Just took a peak and there were 66 gold medals lifted by Britain in the Olympics (e.g. a 4 man relay gold = 4 gold medals, one per athlete), and of those athletes, 8 were born outside Britain. One (Pete Reed) moved to the UK before he was 1 year old, another (Bradley Wiggins) at 2 years of age, another (Justin Rose) at 5, and Farah at 8. Then there is Sophie Bray who was born in France but was representing Surrey in sports by age 11 so would have been no later than that (and her name is hardly French, parents were there for work I'm assuming), and Philip Hindes who did grow up in Germany but only because his parents were stationed there with the British army. The last two - Scott Durant & Robert Renwick - I know nothing about, but the latter is hardly an Arab yet was born in UAE, so again I would assume British parents working there. Anyway, random, just peaked my curiousity for a second.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

I hope you're not referring to the fact he 'only' moved to England at 8 years of age. Because that would... kind of dumb.

EDIT: Just took a peak and there were 66 gold medals lifted by Britain in the Olympics (e.g. a 4 man relay gold = 4 gold medals, one per athlete), and of those athletes, 8 were born outside Britain. One (Pete Reed) moved to the UK before he was 1 year old, another (Bradley Wiggins) at 2 years of age, another (Justin Rose) at 5, and Farah at 8. Then there is Sophie Bray who was born in France but was representing Surrey in sports by age 11 so would have been no later than that (and her name is hardly French, parents were there for work I'm assuming), and Philip Hindes who did grow up in Germany but only because his parents were stationed there with the British army. The last two - Scott Durant & Robert Renwick - I know nothing about, but the latter is hardly an Arab yet was born in UAE, so again I would assume British parents working there. Anyway, random, just peaked my curiousity for a second.

I'd say the Mo Farah comment is more likely linked to his association with doping coaches, missed drug tests and remarkable improvement in performances in his mid to late 20's.

Lets get back to Delaney bashing though which is far more enjoyable.

I'd say the Mo Farah comment is more likely linked to his association with doping coaches, missed drug tests and remarkable improvement in performances in his mid to late 20's.

Lets get back to Delaney bashing though which is far more enjoyable.

Interesting, I'm not fully plugged in on athletics to be honest so hadn't really heard much on it. Not sure if distance runners 'develop later' like in some sports, but it seems some of the other medalists from the 5k and 10k at this years Olympics also had little to their name before similar ages (though it might just be that they are more obscure).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mo_Farah#International_competitions
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tamirat_Tola
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Kipkemoi_Chelimo

Care to expand on this? Mo Farah is a national hero.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

You mean 'the entire cycling team'

His links to Alberto Salazar are a problem and he'll forever be tainted by them.

gosplan wrote: »
    His links to Alberto Salazar are a problem and he'll forever be tainted by them.

Especially when he's pretty vague with answers about their association together.

Innocent until proven otherwise I guess!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

Yeah and we sent 2 british gymnasts, one american swimmer and another american pole vaulter and they won Sweet FA.

Stop bashing poor John, he bought me a pint one night in Poland ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

And his training in Ethopia which doesnt have out of competition doping testing which is awfully convenient for someone who wants to dope. Then there is the dope test he missed because "the doorbell wasnt loud enough". And his coach getting arrested with a stack of EPO tablets in his hotel room. Then an Irish journalist Evans caught him on the hop at a presser last week. Farah had previously claimed that another doping coach he associated with only "held a stopwatch at a couple of training sessions". But the journo had found stacks of photos of Farah and this coach eating in his house on a regular basis- all posted on the coaches daughters Twitter account.

The Britiish media dont have the stomach to investigate Mo Farah as they have already placed him on a pedestal. I think if he doesnt get a knighthood that will speak volumes as if he is doping then M15 should know about it and word goes back to the Palace. Lizzy was furious about her embarrassment with Sir Jimmy Saville so any future knighthoods will be very well vetted before being awarded.

Anyway back to Delaney- has anyone stuck a microphone under his nose yet? Surely he cant just brazen this out without releasing a statement, a police force want to interview him after all.

Well that is interesting, cheers for the run through I had no idea!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

Best last poster for a thread title ever :pac:

Screenshot_2016_08_22_23_36_05_com_android_chrom.jpg

While we're on the subject, the British funding system will lead to sh1tlods more doping I think.

What happens now is that anyone who wins a medal gets automatic funding. So that's already a massive incentive for doping. We're not talking about cheating to win, this cliched idea of people taking drugs being bad guys, cheaters and so on. Now it's take drugs and get a medal or go get a job. People are doping for their livelihood.

Additionally, each sport is given a medal target. Meet or better it and you get your funding again or it gets increases. However fall back and funding gets cut. So now doping comes in the interests of the coaching staff and trainers.

It's much worse in football cause those guys are rich anyway. But in these sports with no money in them, it's often doping or go get a real job out of sports. No choice really.

While we're on the subject, the British funding system will lead to sh1tlods more doping medals I think.

Fixed your post. Team GB athletes are subject to continuous testing. You are just gonna have to get used to seeing us win more and more medals at major championships. It's gonna be difficult to beat Rio though, being honest. The level of investment that has gone into elite level sport over the past twenty years or so has been incredible. The Irish authorities need to start following the same pattern.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

I've been thinking about to what extent the junket loving nature of senior FAI officials is responsible for the state of the domestic game in this country. If they really are just a bunch of free-loading spivs then it's no wonder they put such an emphasis on the national team, I mean it's not like there's much cash to be squeezed from soccer around the country.
    We all know they're a crowd of incompetent fxxkwits, but this kind of behaviour is just really pathetic, low-rent stuff-it's the morality of carnies ffs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,050 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Fixed your post. Team GB athletes are subject to continuous testing. You are just gonna have to get used to seeing us win more and more medals at major championships. It's gonna be difficult to beat Rio though, being honest. The level of investment that has gone into elite level sport over the past twenty years or so has been incredible. The Irish authorities need to start following the same pattern.

Says who?

Didn't one of the female athletes miss 3 drugs tests, was then banned because of this, and British Cycling used taxpayers money to win the court case to get her reinstated for the Olympics?

Fixed your post. Team GB athletes are subject to continuous testing...

When someone like Mo Farah goes off to a country notoriously lax on testing, like Ethiopia, to work with a coach like Jama Aden, arrested in Spain for drugs offences, and alongside dopers, what testing does he face?

• Advertisement

Football supporters in Ireland not interested in football in their own country, bit of an Oxymoron there.

No its a fact of life.
    If it wasnt the case there would be huge crowds at all loi matches and there would be huge viewing when a match is on TV. But there isn't either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

The British Olympic team will face the same thing as so many cyclists and other olympians have faced.
    There will be a time that what isnt found today, will be found when retaking tests in 10 year or so.

Lance Armstrong (amongst many others) never tested positive during his active career either......

Dont expect Delaney to do the right thing and **** off. No one in power does anymore. It is just not in fashion.

Ah here.

I didn't think Kerr was a very good manager for us yield, but let's not pretend the guy who got us to third in the youth World Cup (and only missed the semis in the next one on penalties to the hosts) and who also won both the u18 and u20 Euros for us was not deserving. They're still some of Ireland's greatest team sporting achievements, youth tournaments or not the late 90s were remarkable for us in that sense.
    They were great results at youth age groups.
    In fairness they also played decent football.
    He did deserve a shot at the role but in the end of the day his lack of experience as a top class manager at a the highest level was against him and he wasn't good enough at that level.
    Look at his jobs since- DOF St pats and manager of Faroe Islands that's it.

Do think the way (at the end of his contract) that he was replaced was badly handled.
    Anyway don't want this to be a knocking of Brian Kerr as I from what I hear he is basically a decent football man.

Sugarman - I think everyone wants to forget the whole staunton era and class it a a bad dream.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

he did a brilliant job with the Faroes too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

Mo is doping, hands down

They were great results at youth age groups.
    In fairness they also played decent football.
    He did deserve a shot at the role but in the end of the day his lack of experience as a top class manager at a the highest level was against him and he wasn't good enough at that level.
    Look at his jobs since- DOF St pats and manager of Faroe Islands that's it.

Do think the way (at the end of his contract) that he was replaced was badly handled.
    Anyway don't want this to be a knocking of Brian Kerr as I from what I hear he is basically a decent football man.

Sugarman - I think everyone wants to forget the whole staunton era and class it a a bad dream.
    Yeah don't get me wrong, it didn't work out - just meant that as a nation without much clout for a big name or even well proven manager, he was at least as good a shout as any, especially as most of those U16-U20 lads by 2003 when he took over would have been right at the ages where their international careers should have been kicking off. Quite like him as commentator as well, actually!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

No its a fact of life.
    If it wasnt the case there would be huge crowds at all loi matches and there would be huge viewing when a match is on TV. But there isn't either.

Me thinks you're missing the point that was being made.

Corholio wrote: »
    Me thinks you're missing the point that was being made.

Me thinks I am not.

sabat wrote: »
    I've been thinking about to what extent the junket loving nature of senior FAI officials is responsible for the state of the domestic game in this country. If they really are just a bunch of free-loading spivs then it's no wonder they put such an emphasis on the national team, I mean it's not like there's much cash to be squeezed from soccer around the country.
    We all know they're a crowd of incompetent fxxkwits, but this kind of behaviour is just really pathetic, low-rent stuff-it's the morality of carnies ffs.

I don't know the details but the problem in this country seems to be bums on seats.

It's just a combination of proximity to the UK, common language and fewer people attending regular sporting events these days.

I'm sure the Canadian basketball and baseball leagues suffer from a similar problem.

I'm sure the Canadian basketball and baseball leagues suffer from a similar problem.
    Pssst... the Toronto Raptors and Blue Jays got into the NBA & MLB playoffs last year :p . Blue Jays best player hit a class home run to win it at the death, city went insane, and then this is how he got home (after the equivalent of scoring a 93rd minute winner in the 2nd leg of a CL QF). Unrelated and I don't like baseball, but I f***ing love that guy! :D

bautistascooterjpg.jpg

But yeah, it can generally be an issue with the NFL. The Toronto Argonauts of the CFL (Canadian Football League) play right downtown (and as much as locals like to complain about it, public transport here is also excellent and covers a wide area, important as a downtown American Football game = booze), yet even though they start their season about two months before the NFL there is basically no interest. People would prefer to make the 2 hour trip (from downtown, not even the further out areas) + then wait in immigration rather go local.

And even though it's not a scratch on the actual NFL, the CFL is the second best league in the world by a distance, and does have players and coaches get into the NFL, including the odd 'All Star' calibre player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

I think it's a damning state of Irish society that there haven't even been loud and public calls for Delaney to step down. It's pretty much been limited to Twitter and forum posts. What mechanisms exist to create change in this country?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement