Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Warrant out for John Delaney and 5 others in Brazil

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

CSF wrote: »
    I think it's a damning state of Irish society that there haven't even been loud and public calls for Delaney to step down. It's pretty much been limited to Twitter and forum posts. What mechanisms exist to create change in this country?

They don't exist.

The problem is the Gombeenism that exists throughout Irish society. And that the people vote for and accept.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

gosplan wrote: »
    I don't know the details but the problem in this country seems to be bums on seats.

It's just a combination of proximity to the UK, common language and fewer people attending regular sporting events these days.

I'm sure the Canadian basketball and baseball leagues suffer from a similar problem.

It's not helped when you have national managers like Trap saying there is no league in Ireland, Delaney drawing a salary that is about the same as the entire prize money for our Premier Division, he calls it the difficult child, he parties while clubs go under, the FAI churns out nonsense like telling each club to present their own development plans instead of forming a cohesive policy, a marked lack of coverage and publicity...it is obvious the FAI regards the club game here with a mixture of indifference and intolerance. It's small wonder this is reflected in crowds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Who can remove him as head of the FAI though?

It's a closed shop, and if the Government interfere there are mechanisms within FIFA and UEFA which could see the expulsion of the Rep. of Ireland team from international competition, and our club teams from Europe (imagine if Dundalk, after reaching the EL stages were turfed out because Shane Ross starts meddling in the internal affairs of the FAI!)

Have to laugh at Pat Hickey though, flinging his mate under a bus.
    "Pat Hickey says he wasn't alone when making a decision. He says he was in a group with these six people.

"He mentioned the three people who come here today and he mentions three others. They were not in the country so police could not speak with them."

Sinking ship, and Delaney isn't far from the helm.

Link
    “All the emails were sent to Patrick Hickey, copied to John Delaney and Willie O'Brien because they are the big guys in the council.

“Patrick Hickey said in the police station that all the decisions were made by the executive council and these guys are the big guys in the OCI.

Lovely stuff, is Dear Leader going to come out and outright call Hickey a liar?

Or will he just wallow in silence?

These are great times.

^I love your username and pic

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    ^I love your username and pic

I've been ranting and raving on this forum, under this account and a previous one, pretty much since Delaney got the job as head of the FAI about his treatment of the LoI, the way he conducts FAI business and his absolute misuse of FAI money.

The username comes from a self-censored Shels chant. The original words were "John Delaney is a F..... C...., John Delaney is a F.... C...., he hates the reds, he sent us down..." - fines ensued (he doesn't like people calling him names you see) and the words were then changed to "John Delaney is a lovely bloke, John Delaney is a lovely bloke, he loves the league, he runs it well, John we think you're really swell, John Delaney is a lovely bloke"

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

CSF wrote: »
    I think it's a damning state of Irish society that there haven't even been loud and public calls for Delaney to step down. It's pretty much been limited to Twitter and forum posts. What mechanisms exist to create change in this country?

No doubt Redacted is making sure his buddy isn't harassed by the media.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

gosplan wrote: »
    While we're on the subject, the British funding system will lead to sh1tlods more doping I think.

What happens now is that anyone who wins a medal gets automatic funding. So that's already a massive incentive for doping. We're not talking about cheating to win, this cliched idea of people taking drugs being bad guys, cheaters and so on. Now it's take drugs and get a medal or go get a job. People are doping for their livelihood.

Additionally, each sport is given a medal target. Meet or better it and you get your funding again or it gets increases. However fall back and funding gets cut. So now doping comes in the interests of the coaching staff and trainers.

It's much worse in football cause those guys are rich anyway. But in these sports with no money in them, it's often doping or go get a real job out of sports. No choice really.
    Nothing to do with John Delaney but this is a wise wise post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Not sure if any of you listen to Second Captains but they've dropped this remix a fair bit over the last while. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

The problem with Delaney is the comedy element of him gives him a buffer against serious questions being widely asked of him. The whole tie thing, or getting hammered with Ireland fans thing, it gives him the 'ah but he's a bit of craic' barrier that is unfortunately there with some people. This guy should have serious, serious questions asked of him, his job, his salary and the number of failures he has been in charge of regarding football in this country.

Very hard ask any questions to a man who refused to be interviewed by sports journalists and at AGM only preapproved questions are allowed to be asked.He only does interviews where the hard questions won't be asked,I think his last print media interview was for The Independent lifestyle magazine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

I see Delaney was able to be contacted to give his bit on Robbie's retirement. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Billy86 wrote: »
    :confused:

I hope you're not referring to the fact he 'only' moved to England at 8 years of age. Because that would... kind of dumb.

Also, Farah accounted for exactly 2 of Britain's 67 medals.

EDIT: Just took a peak and there were 66 gold medals lifted by Britain in the Olympics (e.g. a 4 man relay gold = 4 gold medals, one per athlete), and of those athletes, 8 were born outside Britain. One (Pete Reed) moved to the UK before he was 1 year old, another (Bradley Wiggins) at 2 years of age, another (Justin Rose) at 5, and Farah at 8. Then there is Sophie Bray who was born in France but was representing Surrey in sports by age 11 so would have been no later than that (and her name is hardly French, parents were there for work I'm assuming), and Philip Hindes who did grow up in Germany but only because his parents were stationed there with the British army. The last two - Scott Durant & Robert Renwick - I know nothing about, but the latter is hardly an Arab yet was born in UAE, so again I would assume British parents working there. Anyway, random, just peaked my curiousity for a second.

:rolleyes: That is all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

They don't exist.

The problem is the Gombeenism that exists throughout Irish society. And that the people vote for and accept.

"Cans for the lads on a train in Eastern Europe and throw my tie into the crowd after, that'll keep em sweet"

Is it my imagination or has he gone extremely quiet?

The man who couldn't shut up about his role when Blatter was nabbed, or when he pulled a woman, or any time he spots a journo. It's quieter than the accounts review at an FAI AGM.

Can we dare to dream that there really is something to this?

He has been extremely quiet for months now.Even looking back at the Euro qualification there wasn't the level of bs from him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Is it my imagination or has he gone extremely quiet?

The man who couldn't shut up about his role when Blatter was nabbed, or when he pulled a woman, or any time he spots a journo. It's quieter than the accounts review at an FAI AGM.

Can we dare to dream that there really is something to this?
    Don't complain! Beats listening to the ****e he's usually spouting.

According to reports in The Times JD has his solicitors issuing legal letters to a number of media outlets.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

Would I be right in saying that Delaneys hotel reservation in Brazil, which went unused, would likely have cost more than the "grant" LOI clubs are recently offered?

Would I be right in saying that Delaneys hotel reservation in Brazil, which went unused, would likely have cost more than the "grant" LOI clubs are recently offered?

Course it would, but John has a girlfriend to support, can't be giving out money willy-nilly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

He'll ride it out. And to make matters worse, his eventual replacement when he does finally push off, will be handpicked by him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 256 ✭✭wintear

Should the people named in the warrant have stepped down or being suspended until the legal issues have been resolved. Then reinstated if the issues had been resolved

He'll ride it out. And to make matters worse, his eventual replacement when he does finally push off, will be handpicked by him.

if not picked by him, then someone of his ilk. The only people who'd be in a position to move up have all been put in place by him, and so would be of the same mindset.

Unless something is done to totally scrap the top echelons of the FAI then you aren't going to kill the worm, it will just grow another head and crawl on in it's own slime.

The problem with that is that those people are experienced in running football in this country, so what you need to do is find someone in that cohort who isn't all that bad really, someone who's maybe gotten caught up in something they don't really want to be caught up in - but the thing is, Delaney has been there for so long he's probably rooted all those kind of people out by now.

Make no bones about it, football is absolutely rotten in this country, it's so putrid that even something like the FIFA thing hasn't shaken it, hell it hasn't shaken FIFA really, look at Infantino's recent troubles.

He'll ride it out...

Please, enough about his girlfriend...

• Advertisement

yabadabado wrote: »
    According to reports in The Times JD has his solicitors issuing legal letters to a number of media outlets.

It's the Irish way when you are close to being potentially found out.

sister-site of Boards.ie The Journal is one of those sites.

Expect to see the story start to get censored from high up here too.

sister-site of Boards.ie The Journal is one of those sites.

Expect to see the story start to get censored from high up here too.

Had to laugh at the first few seconds of this. When this guy is championing you...well......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,588 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

if not picked by him, then someone of his ilk. The only people who'd be in a position to move up have all been put in place by him, and so would be of the same mindset.

It's like the pope. He has a veto on the appointment of all bishops, and hand-picks the cardinals, who select his successor. Expecting change to come from within in that sort of set-up just isn't going to happen.

At least the FAI has only abused money.
    Make no bones about it, football is absolutely rotten in this country, it's so putrid that even something like the FIFA thing hasn't shaken it, hell it hasn't shaken FIFA really, look at Infantino's recent troubles.

There was a book called something like "How They Stole Our Game" which was supposed to be good, anyone here read it?

Scrap the cap!

Are you talking about "Who Stole Our Game " ? That book is about Irish football but there is also a book called "How They Stole our Game" about FIFA corruption etc.

Who Stole Our Game is an excellent read about Irish football and the mess its in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,588 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Who Stole Our Game is an excellent read about Irish football and the mess its in.

That's the one. Must see if the library has it :)

Scrap the cap!

That's the one. Must see if the library has it :)

That might be your only chance of getting it,I read it when it came out but looked for it again about a year ago and couldn't find it anywhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

He has (at the very least) a moral obligation to give answers to the very serious questions and allegations that have now been attached to his name. As the head of an organisation that receives considerable public funding and that keeps a tight lid on its finances away from public knowledge, I think it is high time a real sense of transparency was brought to the whole situation.

Pity the karma Police only seem to have a squadron in Brazil and not here in Ireland or the wheels of justice would already be in full force right now for John D.

I find it very strange he hasn't released a statement at least distancing himself from the situation. A 3 or 4 line statement would have made a lot more sense than just staying quiet.

Unless .....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

I find it very strange he hasn't released a statement at least distancing himself from the situation. A 3 or 4 line statement would have made a lot more sense than just staying quiet.

Unless .....

I reckon his soliciters will have advised him to keep his mouth shut.

I reckon his soliciters will have advised him to keep his mouth shut.

I presume they did but it would have been very easy to issue a short statement distancing himself from it all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

That might be your only chance of getting it,I read it when it came out but looked for it again about a year ago and couldn't find it anywhere.

There's one on Amazon second hand for 50 pounds if anyone has more money than sense!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

yabadabado wrote:

Copy of it on Amazon, albeit about 60 quid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I see he has broken his silence as reported in the Irish Independent and that he is disputing Hickey's claims.

I wonder will this become even messier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

The worst thing that could happen now is for Hickey to have no trace on him and he is freed. Then watch Delaney go with the "poor old me" approach.

If that happens I hope Brazil get stuffed 7-1 in every match

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭ahlookit

Delaney breaks his silence...to say it's got nothing to do with him.

Statement on the RTE website

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2016/0922/818471-john-delaney/

One wonders why he was copied on all the emails then :confused:

When asked why he wanted to interview FAI chief Executive and OCI Vice President John Delaney and Temporary President Willie O'Brien Mr Falcao explained: “We wanted to know about his involvement in this case but he didn't come to Brazil.

“All the emails were sent to Patrick Hickey, copied to John Delaney and Willie O'Brien because they are the big guys in the council.
    “Patrick Hickey said in the police station that all the decisions were made by the executive council and these guys are the big guys in the OCI.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/rio-2016-olympics/rio-police-want-to-interview-john-delaney-and-willie-obrien-they-are-the-big-guys-in-the-council-34990337.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,528 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

About time this dildo stepped aside and let someone competent run our national association.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

I personally have no problem believing that a man who turns up at the opening of an envelope had no interest in attending a free junket to a foreign country that happened to be hosting an Olympics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

fullstop wrote: »
    About time this dildo stepped aside and let someone competent run our national association.

His son has yet to come of age. I mean that's pretty much what happened with Daddy Delaney and Young Johnny in the first place.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement