Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Our dogs are making us homeless!

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭readytosnap

cocker5 wrote: »
    smell?? my dog lives indoors and there is no smell... .. thats just poor hygiene on the owners behalf im afraid

Total BS, we have 2 dogs they live in the house during the day they sleep on our bed at night one sleeps on the bed and the other sleeps in the sitting room on the sofa, the "sofa" dog smells, he is a jack russell and he smells whether he is washed or not, he smells, he is a smelly dog, simple as that. we care for them, they have an almost 1 acre garden to run around / roam / sh.ite/ whatever it is they want to do, they have all their injections are loved and fed good food everyday, we are clean people, but that jack russell smells, like most dogs.
    Letree wrote: »
    Move to the countryside, nobody in towns or cities wants to live beside 5 dogs. You might think they don't bark much but your neighbours will think otherwise.
    I live in a rural area, about 2 years ago people moved in down the road about 300 metres from our house, they had 2 dogs and they were left alone everyday in 2 cages ( the cages were big enough) and they bark like there is no tomorrow, day and night, its disgraceful, Of course all dogs bark and that can only be expected but 24/7 is an absolute nightmare for everyone else ( except the owners of course as they are out most of the time), the fact that we are so rural the sound of the dogs can be heard a very large distance away. before those people moved in we could hear the traffic occasionally from the main road (about 3 miles away) especially late at night or we might hear the train (further away) other than that we would have 80-90% complete silence (at night) and the biggest noise we would normally have to hear would be the morning birdsong ( them fellas know how to wake you up) so just cos its rural doesn't mean its acceptable, our dogs bark if they hear something strange but if you tell them to shut up they do. you can't keep 5 dogs quite all day and night so they will be a nuisance to someone no matter where you live.
    So what you saying is houses with one dog have no smell but houses with more than one dog - smell??

Thats a ridiculous statement in fairness ... having dogs (1 or more) does not mean they smell or a home smells - it all comes down to the dog owners hygiene level nothing to do with the amount of dogs.
    dogs smell no matter what, some people don't like it some can tolerate it, others can't smell it but they do smell and the only thing smellier than a dog is a wet dog. We have 2 dgs we love them even when they smell they could be farting, rolling around in ****e, our bitch dog smells sometimes, they are clean well looked after dogs but they do smell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

Total BS, we have 2 dogs they live in the house during the day they sleep on our bed at night one sleeps on the bed and the other sleeps in the sitting room on the sofa, the "sofa" dog smells, he is a jack russell and he smells whether he is washed or not, he smells, he is a smelly dog, simple as that. we care for them, they have an almost 1 acre garden to run around / roam / sh.ite/ whatever it is they want to do, they have all their injections are loved and fed good food everyday, we are clean people, but that jack russell smells, like most dogs.

I live in a rural area, about 2 years ago people moved in down the road about 300 metres from our house, they had 2 dogs and they were left alone everyday in 2 cages ( the cages were big enough) and they bark like there is no tomorrow, day and night, its disgraceful, Of course all dogs bark and that can only be expected but 24/7 is an absolute nightmare for everyone else ( except the owners of course as they are out most of the time), the fact that we are so rural the sound of the dogs can be heard a very large distance away. before those people moved in we could hear the traffic occasionally from the main road (about 3 miles away) especially late at night or we might hear the train (further away) other than that we would have 80-90% complete silence (at night) and the biggest noise we would normally have to hear would be the morning birdsong ( them fellas know how to wake you up) so just cos its rural doesn't mean its acceptable, our dogs bark if they hear something strange but if you tell them to shut up they do. you can't keep 5 dogs quite all day and night so they will be a nuisance to someone no matter where you live.

dogs smell no matter what, some people don't like it some can tolerate it, others can't smell it but they do smell and the only thing smellier than a dog is a wet dog. We have 2 dgs we love them even when they smell they could be farting, rolling around in ****e, our bitch dog smells sometimes, they are clean well looked after dogs but they do smell.

If your dogs still smell even after you bath them - you need to look at what food you are feeding them - poor smelling dog is linked to food choices.

You can call is BS if you want and that makes you feel better but im sorry not all dogs and home's with dogs smell. i have been in both and some smell and some dont - again i go back to my original point of hygiene.

My dog is an indoor dog walked (on lead) each night - so not roaming around in sh*te as you put it.. ...

If your dogs still smell even after you bath them - you need to look at what food you are feeding them - poor smelling dog is linked to food choices.

You can call is BS if you want and that makes you feel better but im sorry not all dogs and home's with dogs smell. i have been in both and some smell and some dont - again i go back to my original point of hygiene.

My dog is an indoor dog walked (on lead) each night - so not roaming around in sh*te as you put it.. ...

The food is not what makes the dog smell, I didn't say anything about roaming around in sh ite, I said rolling in sh ite, dogs do that, especially ones that are allowed off their lead, the only time our dogs are on a lead is when they need to go to the vet for the annual. we don't need leads where we live. dogs will be dogs, obviously you are never gonna be told otherwise so you stick to your hygiene theory and I'll stick to the fact that my jack russell smells because he does.
    I don't particularly like the smell of the dog, the missus is not the slightest bit affected by it, maybe it is not so much the SMELL of the dog more a case of the sensitivity of the nose on the person smelling the dog, maybe you have (dare I say it) gone Noseblind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

The food is not what makes the dog smell, I didn't say anything about roaming around in sh ite, I said rolling in sh ite, dogs do that, especially ones that are allowed off their lead, the only time our dogs are on a lead is when they need to go to the vet for the annual. we don't need leads where we live. dogs will be dogs, obviously you are never gonna be told otherwise so you stick to your hygiene theory and I'll stick to the fact that my jack russell smells because he does.

google it... i never said food makes all dogs smell but you said your even after your dog was washed he smells... i can tell you now that's not normal.....so there is some sort of issue and the food can be the cause..... but believe what you want.

anyway OP best of luck with your search!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

I don't particularly like the smell of the dog, the missus is not the slightest bit affected by it, maybe it is not so much the SMELL of the dog more a case of the sensitivity of the nose on the person smelling the dog, maybe you have (dare I say it) gone Noseblind.

Unless where you live is completely walled in, you do need them and should use them. Especially a JRT with a prey drive! But that's not relevant.

google it... i never said food makes all dogs smell but you said your even after your dog was washed he smells... i can tell you now that's not normal.....so there is some sort of issue and the food can be the cause..... but believe what you want.

anyway OP best of luck with your search!

I will and there is no point me and you arguing the toss about smelly dogs, I would not be happy if someone with 5 dogs moved in next door to me (There is no next door here) but I mean in a urban setting.
    I have to say in my opinion the only dog that does not smell is a dog with no nose :D:D, sorry gotta go my taxi is here!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Okay folks,
    This thread is an inch away from being closed.
    The amount of off-topic posting, insulting posting, and lack of mutual respect being shown beggars belief.
    I have no problem with discussion growing organically, but not when it involves ridiculous, off-topic bickering.
    So, here's the deal if this thread is to stay open...
    No more discussion if whether dogs smell.
    No more discussion if whether dogs are children.
    No more telling the op to rehome her dogs (unless she specifically states that this is an option).
    Stick to the op's specific request for advice on how she might find a rental home to accommodate her and her pets. A number of posters have managed this very well... If the others who have brought this thread to train-wreck stage can't do the same, then please stop posting.
    Thanks,
    DBB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭saabsaab

I'd say that your best bet is to look at a country cottage in Carlow or Laois. There is a train from Carlow and there would be a fair bit of easy to rent properties there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 301 ✭✭puppieperson1

I rent a house with 3 dogs and its fine the landlord gave me a contract and he is very nice helps that he owns a few dogs himself. i found the house through another dog owner who told me it would be rented to a dog owner otherwise it was hard to find one and i am in the south west. Ireland is not dog friendly and dog lovers are not welcome any where i lived in france and its a pleasure there. There is definately a lot of negative feelings towards dog owners in Ireland we are in fact a cruel country and saying we are animal lovers is a bit of a myth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 ExParrot42

Don't lose hope on your search - something might work out, but you'll have to be open to moving a ways away I think! We have just one dog and want to get a pair of kittens - finding a house was a total nightmare and took us 7 months :( (we also had quite a low budget, if you're able to pay 1000+ a month your chances ought to be much better.) I'm happy to say it was really worth the stress and the wait - perfect place for us and the dog. We had to go all the way out to Co Galway but there were some nearer. When you're searching on Daft try setting the search to Pet friendly rentals in all of Ireland below x amount per month. Sometimes there are local Facebook groups where people post ads for rental accommodation as well.

In the mean time have you spoken to any rescues about potentially keeping your dogs in foster care indefinitely while you search for a home? While something may come up eventually, it could be a long time with so many of them. Definitely plan for the worst while staying hopeful if you can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

I hope you got sorted OP. A good approach might be to put it out there that you will happily dog sit the odd weekend for a pet-owning landlord as another dog wouldn't make much difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭AryaStark

The thread title is misleading.
    OP you are making yourself homeless by having 5 dogs.
    If you won't rehome them it's your choice.
    They are not children.
    If you found a house you like and an area that suits you, you've a choice to make.
    The LL allowing you keep 1 dog is reasonable in my opinion.

That is a bit unfair. As you say they are not children but so what. That does not mean they are not family or loved like family.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭AryaStark

Stoner wrote: »
    True, I say the biggest thing was the smell, I've two dogs and it's a struggle to deal with the whiff.
    I honestly don't know if any LL would accept 5 dogs.

We have three dogs in the house and there is never a smell. Two are my Mams dogs a border collie and a springer spaniel and I have a husky. If the dogs are wet they may smell a bit but once we dry them off and keep the bedding clean there is no smell. Two of the dogs sleep in the kitchen and nobody would even know unless we tell them.

Advertisement