Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sleepwalking

• 21-08-2016 10:24pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,300 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Do you sleepwalk? I occasionally do. More when younger. Around apartment. Don't remember. Strange.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,424 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Somnambulism was a deep sleep behaviour disorder, which may be triggered in those with a proclivity for such behaviour by sleep deprivation. I do not evidence such behaviour, but I've got a very close friend who I have observed sleepwalking after pulling several all-nighters cramming for exams at university. :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,300 CMod ✭✭✭✭Fathom

Close friend. Describe behavior. They remember not.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,424 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Woke up after tripping over coffee table. Apparently precision when walking was not guaranteed while sleepwalking.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,300 CMod ✭✭✭✭Fathom

Disorientation. Common. Any learning? Doubtful.

Sleepwalking exhibited a dissociation between body sleep and mind sleep suggested Claudio Bassetti, et al, in SPECT During Sleepwalking, The Lancet, Volume 356, No. 9228, p484–485, 5 August 2000.

• Advertisement

Self-diagnosed. 3 million US cases. Randomly occurs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

Used to do it all the time when I was younger, worst one was when I was around 10 and I let myself out of the house and walked down to the pub which was 100 meters down the road and claimed my mum had left me alone.

The owner brought me home to my mother who was watching tv in the living room.

Used to do it all the time when I was younger, worst one was when I was around 10 and I let myself out of the house and walked down to the pub which was 100 meters down the road and claimed my mum had left me alone. The owner brought me home to my mother who was watching tv in the living room.
    Fascinating story. Mine mundane. About apartment. Rare. Once only past year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,553 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

The Linda Vista Hospital has been the subject of many television documentaries, movies, and paranormal investigations. It is reputedly one of the most haunted places in Los Angeles, California. September 6, 2010
    Dana had just graduated from college and got a job as a high school chemistry teacher in Los Angeles, California. She became roommates with Alison and both had just moved into a house. Dana noticed the décor of the house was … odd. Alison explained to her that the furniture belonged to the previous owners and that he had died. The landlord told them that they could keep the furniture. The furniture was free, so they just took it at that. As they were looking through their new house, they noticed a photo of 3 men in white uniforms. They assumed that it belonged to the person whom had lived in the house before them. They put the photo in a drawer not thinking anything of it.
    September 7, 2010
    About 2 in the morning, Dana heard something moving. She could feel something in the room with her. As she went to look around, she noticed Alison walking around with her eyes open. Dana followed her and realized Alison was sleepwalking. She called out Alison’s name a few times and woke her up. Alison assured Dana that she was OK even though she had never done that before. She explained to Dana that she had the weirdest dream about being in a hospital and that a patient was pulling her down a hallway.
    September 8, 2010
    The next day, Dana was running and noticed a huge building that appeared to be an abandoned hospital that had fallen victim to urban decay. Something on the third floor caught her eye. She thought she saw a man with a red face in the window. In a blink, the man was gone. She chalked it up to a trick of lights and shadows.
    hospital2.png

September 9, 2010
    After a night of light drinking, Dana started drifting off to sleep when she noticed Alison sleepwalking again. By the time Dana came fully to her senses and got outside, Alison was halfway down the street. Alison walked directly to that abandoned hospital. Alison’s hands were being held out as if someone was leading her. By the time Dana got to the hospital, Alison was already inside. Dana sheepishly went in. Dana noticed a homeless lady inside and asked her if she saw someone walk through.
    Homeless_Woman.png

The homeless lady just smiled, turned and walked away. Dana then thought she heard Alison’s voice outside. She went back outside and noticed Alison looking out the third story window. She noticed Alison looking at her, then back over her shoulder – seemingly afraid. That’s when Alison jumped… three stories to her death. Her death was ruled a suicide because of her past mental illness.
    hospital3.png

September 17, 2010
    After some research, Dana discovered that the abandoned building was indeed a hospital. After a little more research, she discovered that the man that lived in the house before them was an orderly in the psyche ward in that hospital. That night, Dana had an upsetting dream… It was just like the dream Alison had about her being led by the hand in that hospital. She woke up to a man yelling for her to wake up. Dana was standing in the middle of the road after almost being hit by a car. Dana realized that she… had been… sleepwalking. She walked three blocks in her sleep and was almost to that hospital.
    September 19, 2010
    After a couple of sleepless nights, Dana’s parents try to convince her to come back home. She assures them that she was all right.
    September 21, 2010
    Danas’ body finally gave in. She fell into a deep sleep in her own bed, only to awaken in the middle of the night in a bed in the abandoned hospital.
    Night.png

Walking through the maze of a hospital to find a way out, Dana kept ending back at the same place. Dana thought she might be dreaming, so she pinched herself to the point of bleeding. She was not sleeping. This was real. Walking down the halls, she kept seeing patients in white robes. She arrived at a door with a slit. Looking through the slit, she saw a smoke filled room and noticed a man covered in burns yelling “let me out of here” over and over. Turning to run, she noticed the patients in white robes again. Fire. One patient opens a window, and then jumps. Two more patients followed. As she looked out the fifth story window, she noticed three familiar faces in white. It was the men from the picture in her house. One turned and looked at Dana, paused, then turned and ran. Dana could feel the fire and realizes the only way out of the inferno was to jump.
    Just then, the homeless woman whom she had seen the first time grabbed her. As soon as she grabbed her, the smoke was gone. The fire was gone. All the patients were gone. The homeless lady led her out.
    After a little more research, she discovered that there really was a fire in that hospital 20 years prior. She also discovered that the orderly that lived in her house was an orderly that worked there and abandoned 7 patients whom had been burned alive on the fifth floor.

Conclusion:
    Take what you will from this. Was Alison really sleepwalking being led by some unseen force that coerced her to jump to her death, or was it mental illness that drove Alison to commit suicide? Did Dana follow suit by the power of suggestion?

One thing is for sure... the real reason for Alison's death will forever be a mystery.

paranormal investigations... About 2 in the morning, Dana heard something moving. She could feel something in the room with her. As she went to look around, she noticed Alison walking around with her eyes open. Dana followed her and realized Alison was sleepwalking... After a night of light drinking, Dana started drifting off to sleep when she noticed Alison sleepwalking again... Dana was standing in the middle of the road after almost being hit by a car. Dana realized that she… had been… sleepwalking. She walked three blocks in her sleep and was almost to that hospital... Conclusion: Take what you will from this. Was Alison really sleepwalking being led by some unseen force that coerced her to jump to her death, or was it mental illness that drove Alison to commit suicide? Did Dana follow suit by the power of suggestion?
    Paranormal sleepwalking? For me a new one. Perhaps in literature? I'll have to read more.

• Advertisement

Riva M.A. et al (2010) in Sleepwalking in Italian Operas: A Window on Popular and Scientific Knowledge on Sleep Disorders in the 19th Century, European Neurology, Vol. 63, No. 2, suggested that ancient myths considered sleepwalking as a "sacred disease." Afflicted persons did not remember anything, as if possessed by metaphysical forces dominating body and mind; e.g., by gods or evil beings.

Sleepwalked. Once. This year. So far.

Would you know if you were sleepwalking again if no one told you Fathom, especially if you left your bed, walked about, then returned to your bed?

See Mathieu Pilon, Jacques Montplaisir, and Antonio Zadra, in Why has sleepwalking research been “sleepwalking”? Neurology, June 10, 2008, vol. 70 no. 24, pp 2274-2275, suggests that sleepwalkers were acting out dreams. Sleepwalking research became popular in the 1960's, but unfortunately has not been in recent years, and has not taken advantage of more rigourous research designs and methodologies as guided by evolving theories.

Black Swan wrote: »
    suggests that sleepwalkers were acting out dreams.
    "Acting out dreams?" Can't remember those.

Fathom wrote: »
    "Acting out dreams?" Can't remember those.
    So if someone told you that during a sleepwalking incident you did this and that, you really would not know if in fact you did what they told you?

So if someone told you that during a sleepwalking incident you did this and that, you really would not know if in fact you did what they told you?
    Interesting. Wonders now. Told real story?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

I only have one known incident of sleepwalking. I was about 15 at the time. At approximately 4am I walked into my parents' bedroom and woke my dad up by asking him to turn on their tv. My dad led me back to my room.

The odd thing is that I remembered it the next day but I presumed that it was just a dream.

The odd thing is that I remembered it the next day but I presumed that it was just a dream.
    Remember not. Others tell. Rare today. Lots when teen.

I cannot speak much from experience at sleepwalking, but my flatmate Fathom can and does on rare occasions, especially during university exam week.

**Swannie runs!**

• Advertisement

I cannot speak much from experience at sleepwalking, but my flatmate Fathom can and does on rare occasions, especially during university exam week. **Swannie runs!**
    Gives chase!

Advertisement