Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lure rod. What casting weight?

Options
  • 21-08-2016 10:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭

Hi. I'm planning on getting a new lure rod for pike fishing. Im wondering is there an all rounder in casting weight rating?

I cast lures up to 25 or 30 grams but like to use small size 2 and 3 mepps also, could anyone recommend a rod that could throw both with relative ease? Or even just the casting weight rating I should be going for, thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭gumbo1

I have a Savage Gear MPP rod upto 120 grams. It will cast everything all day, from small spinners to big pike baits and is nice and light. Highly recommend something in this range, they have them from small weights to 3lb test curves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭fret_wimp2

Depends on the rod action also. if its very stiff it will have difficulty with tiny meps.

Personally I would say that a rod with a casting weight of 120g is too heavy for tiny spinners.

As a middle ground a 50-60g rod with good action will be ok.
    Ideally you would have a rod for each.

I have a light and short 10-40g spinning rod with medium action that is great for spinners. it will cast up to 50g but its not pleasant and i dont like to use it with much over 40g.

I have a heavier 30-60g rod that is much stiffer and so will cast bigger baits with accuracy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭weatherbyfoxer

10-50 gram 10ft spinning rod will cover all bank lure fishing for pike what's your budget?

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭The other fella

Thanks for the replies. Id spend about 50, maybe more. I saw a rovex lure pro in a tackle shop the other day that looks the part.

I think it has a maximum of 50 g casting weight but feels light in the hand, i might get it this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 JOhnty78

Rovex are not very good. Go for something from Savage Gear, Greys Prowla or Fox. Some bad reviews on Fox
    Id say be careful not to limit yourself on the upper scale. You can get away with casting light lures on a slightly heavier rod but not casting heavy lures on a light rod.

• Advertisement

Ive tried to write this 3 times and got errors so hope this works.

Theres a 9ft version of my own lure rod available on special offer for half the price i paid for it:

reeds.ie/products/greys-prowla-gs-lure-rod-9ft-40-80g

My one is the 10ft (too long): fishingtackleandbait.co.uk/en/Greys-Prowla-GS-Lure-Rod-10-40-80g/m-37628.aspx

40-80g is probably too heavy for casting small mepps and more suited to normal pike lures. Theres a 10-50g version i think which might suit you more but i cant find any deal. Worth a look though as great rods.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭The other fella

Cheers for thatm, I was about to get that rovex rod in the morning. I won't bother if it's not a good quality rod.

The Greys prowla does look nice. They may have them in the same tackle shop I'm going tomorrow so I'll have a look and see how much they are. Thanks again johnty

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭twin_beacon

a good "all rounder" would be a 20-50 / 30-60 at around 8-10 feet for your needs. It would manage a size 4 meps, and up to the medium sized pike lures. That would be too strong for small jiggs, and not strong enough for large pike lures, and most trolling scenarios, but a good bank fishing rod. You would get something decent for €50 too.

Did you get fixed up?

Advertisement