Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tips for morning rush?

Options
  • 21-08-2016 10:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭

Any top tips for getting myself ready for work and 3 little ones ready for school, play school and childminder in the morning?
    Night before I - soak porridge , make lunches, get clothes ready.
    In the morning - no tv , eat breakfast, get dressed, pack bags, brush hair and teeth, coats and shoes on. Still it's always crazy, especially trying to get myself ready.
    Any top tips I can do to make things calmer?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Go to bed an hour earlier. Get up an hour earlier.

Best way to deal with any rush is to make sure it's not a rush.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Rain Ascending

We've a similar morning set-up to yourself and it can be challenging, to say the least. A few thoughts, some of which might help:

- I find I need about 10 minutes extra in the schedule to allow for the unexpected: a last-minute dirty nappy, a missing coat, coaxing a kid who has got out of the wrong side of the bed that morning.

- Success or failure depends hugely on the humor of the kids. If they've had a good night's sleep and I can get breakfast into them quickly enough then happy days.

- I need to be up before all three are awake and moving to get myself sorted out. It gets much harder when they're all moving at full speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,309 ✭✭✭markpb

I only have two but we find it easy to get out of the house because they accommodatingly wake up at 5:30 and 6:00 :-(

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

endacl wrote: »
    Go to bed an hour earlier. Get up an hour earlier.

Best way to deal with any rush is to make sure it's not a rush.

It never works , by the time they are all in bed and basic tidying is done I crave an hour or 2 of peace .

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

It is crazy here too .
    This year I have 2 in school and 2 in playschool .
    I will leave everything out the night before ,breakfast ,uniforms etc and just hope that in the morning that they are all in great form and co operate !!
    I also find getting dressed before breakfast speeds them up .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

If you could get up yourself a bit earlier before the kids are due to get up and have yourself ready, dressed, cleaned etc. That way you are available to help the kids get ready and keep them moving. Otherwise what could happen is you go into your room to get ready, come out 5 mins later to find that the kids have done nothing since you went in! It also would allow you a few minutes of calm in the morning and you can eat your breakfast and get ready in peace.

My son and husband leave for work/school/childminder at 8:30. I don't need to leave for work until 9. So I use that half hour to enjoy my breakfast and get ready for work. Time spent up to half 8 is trying to get the two fellas out the door! Quite often they are almost out the door without sports gear/lunch/wallet/phone etc and if I was rushing about myself they would be gone without them.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Moonbeam wrote: »
    It never works , by the time they are all in bed and basic tidying is done I crave an hour or 2 of peace .

Skip the tidying! Sure you'll only have to do it again tomorrow anyway...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I try to get up before them and get myself sorted before starting on them. If i'm wearing heels i leave them by the front door so i can sprint around the house faster.

Dressed first then brekkie. Oldest dresses herself. Clothes are on chair by her bed ready from night before. I think we started that with the star chart encouragement. I reckon i could get them to build a rocket to the moon with a star chart. They bloody love them.

While they are eating breakfast i make lunches.

All stuff that has to leave the house with us is in separate piles. Schoolbag, tennis racket, lunch, raincoat for one kid is in one corner. My stuff (coat, shoes, lunch, laptop) in another.

I did say basic tidying;)
    It does make it easier being up and ready before them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

What's yer time window Op?
    From awake to Leave house it's comfortable 40mins for us (two kids). Usually 30 with a lot of drill Sargent encouragement goddammit.

One thing I've changed is not to do big snacks before bed... They aren't too keen on getting up, and sluggish about breakfast if they're not hungry.

Screw the tidying away cutlery if stuck for time, let it fester. I'm a little cagey about putting on dishwasher when nobody in the house, friend of ours went on fire and it seems like a thing that can happen. Usually put it on just after dinner so it's ready to empty before going to bed.

It seems like you're doing everything you can (maybe pack bags night before... Get them to do it).
    Maybe quit the morning teeth brushing, if they're young enough they'll all be falling out anyway :).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Cunning Stunt

We're up at 6am with 2 kids. otherwise we cant make it to work on time. We are ready to leave at around 7. mammy and daddy take our showers in the night time now, to save time in the morning. Clothes ready from night before. Kids dressed and fed as soon as they are up. Then one parent minds them while the other gets dressed/ready and vice versa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

Thanks guys, all set for next week I hope. It takes me about 1hr 10 mins really, husband can't help in the mornings so keeping 1 year old busy when I am getting dressed & make up on is hardest part. I was having showers in the morning but have to do it night before now as just too hard.
    Also I find it hard leaving place in the mess, but don't feel so bad if the floor is clear , so that will be a job for 5 and 3 year old and I will just throw all dishes in sink, agree about not putting dishwasher on.
    I know it would be better getting dressed before breakfast but usually there is a porridge or weetabix spill from the 3 year old, which would mean changing clothes again.
    Roll on Wednesday !

Advertisement