Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Pat Hickey - Ticket Touting - Marcus Evans - THG - Pro 10 Controversy

• 22-08-2016 1:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭

OK, so it's not out there with the most controversial of conspiracy theories, but sure here me out.

I'd better preface all this that this is all wild conjecture, and has no basis in fact as I know it :)

Here's my theory. Seeing as it's pretty clear that this is Ireland, and everybody's not a whole long way from everyone else.

Kevin James Mallon (the THG guy) is a son of a long-time board member of the OCI, with a different surname to the board member (which is why the media have missed it).Said board member funnels OCI tickets through Mallon, company is a sham, and Evans-obviously taking most of the profit. Mallon gets a cushy job for it.

That director is therefore key to this story. He's feeding the tickets to the son. Hickey knows but is blind-eyeing or taking a cut. The rest are in the dark. Pro10 is essentially a front for THG now that THG were banned from reselling. It's a shell company for Marcus Evans, who quite possibly is a crime lord, basing his criminal empire off selling tickets, but also using his companies as a front for laundering UK drug money.

Marcus Evans basically take the entire OCI allocation and sells them off at huge profit, using this shell of "hospitality packages" to get around the loophole of touting. It usually works because it's in the grey.

The Brazilian police are only prosecuting because some Brazilian millionaires got badly scammed for the Opening Ceremony, and are buying retribution from the police. So, Hickey and Mallon, and whoever else gets involved, will get convicted and jailed, and probably supermaxed and whatever else, no matter about proof.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,348 ✭✭✭nc6000

But we already had tickets going to a company employing Hickey's son in 2012. If you can show blatant nepotism like that four years ago then why would they try and cover it up four years later?

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭electrictrad

nc6000 wrote: »
    But we already had tickets going to a company employing Hickey's son in 2012. If you can show blatant nepotism like that four years ago then why would they try and cover it up four years later?

Good point, but having two sons of two directors? Much more blatant. I assume Hickey Jnr was a THG man then?

Also, nobody was trying to cover things up until Rio started to go sour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,348 ✭✭✭nc6000

Good point, but having two sons of two directors? Much more blatant. I assume Hickey Jnr was a THG man then?

Spot on Sir. Only after rereading the earlier post did I see that someone else's son was also employed to tout official tickets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 761 ✭✭✭p15574

Kevin James Mallon (the THG guy) is a son of a long-time board member of the OCI, with a different surname to the board member (which is why the media have missed it)

Is this theory or fact? Just wondering.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭electrictrad

p15574 wrote: »
    Is this theory or fact? Just wondering.

It's just my theory. There's been nothing published about Kevin Mallon at all. No "exposés", no interviews with friends - we haven't even heard from his family, and he's been in prison 3 weeks, and front of the national news every night. There's something not right about the whole thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭Tzar Chasm

It could be a smokescreen from Brazilian authorities to cover up/excuse piss poor attendance.

People will be asking why there were so few people at some events, but rather than admit the games were poorly organised and their estimates were wldly inflated, they will point at people like hickey and blame them, saying that touts were inflating prices which kept the people away.

Hickey is sortof a scapegoat, to draw attention away from the Brazilians failure. I expect he will be released without charge in a few weeks as logic is on his side, ie , its hard to tout tickets at an inflated price when they are avaiable at the gate for retail

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

From listening to Brazilian reports i think the "touting" relates more to the selling of tickets by unauthorised sellers rather than the more traditional "touting" is seen in Ireland. Also some of the tickets being sold were not actually supposed to be for general sale.

One reporter was saying that some tickets being sold were complementary, i.e. free, so even selling them for almost nothing is still considered "selling at above face value".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

When family are told to go travel and sort out their own tickets you know something is fishy. Heard on the radio that one parent asked the sons club what the story was with getting tix from the Olympic committee, told not a hope, she said they should kick up a fuss and they replied that they didn't want to rock the boat with the Olympic committee.

Same guy in top job for decades and earning a pretty penny... smacks of power and greed same as the Console charity debacle.

Actually it's a really simple investigation.
    Who got the tickets?
    Who did they go to?
    Follow the money.

Thank f##k the folks in Brazil are doing the investigation.

I could just imagine the 'enquiry' that would go on here. Like bertie ahern... "Ahhh I didn't have any bank account.... Oh yeah I had 22... Forgot about them.. Won the money on a horse.. Ahhhhh" case closed, millions spent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭Tzar Chasm

Well, I stand corrected, Hickey and his cohorts have been charged.

Advertisement