Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cao MISTAKE!!

Options
  • 22-08-2016 9:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Hey I made a mistake on my cao the course I wanted do do which is environmental health in dit I put it as my second choice as I thought I wouldn't get it but now I seem to have gotten the points for it and I feel like not doing my first option does anyone know anyway on how I can change and get an offer or do I have to wait a year and try change colleges??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Johno2474 wrote: »
    the course I wanted do do which is environmental health in dit I put it as my second choice as I thought I wouldn't get it
    I don't mean to be cruel, John, but this is exactly what we warn people about year in, year out ... the CAO relies on you ordering your courses as you actually want them, NOT on whether you think you will get the points! >.<

You pretty much need to wait a year and re-apply, unless your first choice is DIT also in which there's a *tiny* chance that if you contact them they *may* be able to swap you around if you have the points needed, and as you were going to them anyway ...

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭OneOfThem Stumbled

I don't mean to be cruel, John, but this is exactly what we warn people about year in, year out ... the CAO relies on you ordering your courses as you actually want them, NOT on whether you think you will get the points! >.<

You pretty much need to wait a year and re-apply, unless your first choice is DIT also in which there's a *tiny* chance that if you contact them they *may* be able to swap you around if you have the points needed, and as you were going to them anyway ...

I personally found it somewhat counter-intuitive. You have to think about points all the time up to (and after) filling out your CAO, but not for the CAO itself. I was also somewhat sceptical, and the more the message was repeated, the more sceptical I became, so much so that I still don't know whether there are negative repercussions to not getting your top preferences (if you have to wait multiple rounds does it become less likely that you will get a place in the course you would have been eligible for had you placed it as your first preference?).

There's also the minor status aspect of being able to say "Oh I got my first preference", which, even if you didn't do amazingly well in your Leaving Cert, can form a sort of retrospective justification for how well you did (I had a particular target, and as you can see, I hit it spot on)

Having said all that, naturally you are correct randy :D

I was also somewhat sceptical, and the more the message was repeated, the more sceptical I became, so much so that I still don't know whether there are negative repercussions to not getting your top preferences (if you have to wait multiple rounds does it become less likely that you will get a place in the course you would have been eligible for had you placed it as your first preference?).
    Nope, it's all done by computer programme, and computer programmes don't get pissy with you because you didn't put a course as Number 1 on your list! :p
    Having said all that, naturally you are correct randy :D
    Naturally! :cool:

:p:D

• Registered Users Posts: 22,300 ✭✭✭✭endacl

You didn't make a mistake. You filled it out correctly, but according to the wrong criteria.

endacl wrote: »
    You didn't make a mistake. You filled it out correctly, but according to the wrong criteria.
    Ummmmm.

I guess that's a nuance that I'm not brainy enough to understand! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 Aghoney

Hey I made a mistake on my cao the course I wanted do do which is environmental health in dit I put it as my second choice as I thought I wouldn't get it but now I seem to have gotten the points for it and I feel like not doing my first option does anyone know anyway on how I can change and get an offer or do I have to wait a year and try change colleges??

Is the first choice offer that you got today something you dislike? Would you have been perfectly happy with today's offer if you had not done as well on your LC?

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Johno2474

Aghoney wrote:
    Is the first choice offer that you got today something you dislike? Would you have been perfectly happy with today's offer if you had not done as well on your LC?

I'm happy with my first choice it's not bad but I'd be even happier with my second but I'll try sort it out and if I switch courses nxt year do I not get grant from susi anymore for college fees??

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,189 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I'm happy with my first choice it's not bad but I'd be even happier with my second but I'll try sort it out and if I switch courses nxt year do I not get grant from susi anymore for college fees??

Not if you do first year again, no. If you continue on to second year, yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭boardzz

Is your second choice a different college?

Advertisement