Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Engineering to Architecture

Options
  • 22-08-2016 9:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

So, I really want to be an architect. I recently just received an offer for DT066, general entry of Engineering in DIT. I was thinking if itms possible to do Civ. Eng or Stuctural Eng. then do a masters of Architecture to be a part of RIAI. Is this possible? thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭PaperArchitect

Hi Pleindespoir. Congrats on your place.

The requirement to register as part of the RIAI is to have completed a 5 year recognised degree within Ireland or abroad, plus you must subsequently do your professional diploma once you've accumulated sufficient work experience (minimum two years). Architecture is really a 7 year degree if you consider it in this respect. An engineering degree will not give you adequate training to then complete a masters in architecture (which in some schools is year 4 and 5). I studied with students who studied engineering and subsequently were submitted into 2nd year, but this would also depend on the ability of the individual and isn't an automatic entry.

If you find yourself doing engineering because you did not reach the requirement in the schools of architecture then FYI, Here are the following points for all architecture courses in the Republic for 2016 if you happen to not be aware of all the schools.

DIT - 605 (if you got 405 points in your LC and scored 100 in the test and 100 in the interview then you'd qualify)
    UCD - 515
    UCC/CIT (CCAE) - 450
    UL - 420 (you would qualify with these points upon passing the portfolio and essay entry)
    WIT - 305

FYI Sligo IT also has an architecture degree called "architectural design" and it's 285 points. It is a 3 year degree and you must then go elsewhere to complete years 4 and 5. It is not however recognised by the RIAI, but is by the RIBA so you would need to attend a school in the UK after 3rd year, this would include Northern Ireland where there are two schools (University of Ulster and Queens University Belfast).

Hopefully this information helps, there's nothing to say that you shouldn't complete this degree first and then progress into the full architecture course. Lots of people do this, particularly architectural technologists. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭pleindespoir

Hi Pleindespoir. Congrats on your place.

The requirement to register as part of the RIAI is to have completed a 5 year recognised degree within Ireland or abroad, plus you must subsequently do your professional diploma once you've accumulated sufficient work experience (minimum two years). Architecture is really a 7 year degree if you consider it in this respect. An engineering degree will not give you adequate training to then complete a masters in architecture (which in some schools is year 4 and 5). I studied with students who studied engineering and subsequently were submitted into 2nd year, but this would also depend on the ability of the individual and isn't an automatic entry.

If you find yourself doing engineering because you did not reach the requirement in the schools of architecture then FYI, Here are the following points for all architecture courses in the Republic for 2016 if you happen to not be aware of all the schools.

DIT - 605 (if you got 405 points in your LC and scored 100 in the test and 100 in the interview then you'd qualify)
    UCD - 515
    UCC/CIT (CCAE) - 450
    UL - 420 (you would qualify with these points upon passing the portfolio and essay entry)
    WIT - 305

FYI Sligo IT also has an architecture degree called "architectural design" and it's 285 points. It is a 3 year degree and you must then go elsewhere to complete years 4 and 5. It is not however recognised by the RIAI, but is by the RIBA so you would need to attend a school in the UK after 3rd year, this would include Northern Ireland where there are two schools (University of Ulster and Queens University Belfast).

Hopefully this information helps, there's nothing to say that you shouldn't complete this degree first and then progress into the full architecture course. Lots of people do this, particularly architectural technologists. Good luck!

I'm sorry for not phrasing my question well or sounding a bit clueless unto how to be an Architect in Ireland.

Most of the information you have given me is into my knowledge already and thank you for reminding me.

I didn't assume that if I do March, I would quickly be part of RIAI or anything near that sort but atleast, I am thinking if MArch can be my way before the experience or said diploma as I've seen from few FAQs coming from their official website.

I was just thinking about the degree UCD courses like Structural Engineering with Architecture and so thought because Engineering and Architecture shares alot of the same principles, could've been possible to progress into architecture?

From your answer, I am still not quite sure if I really can't or can because the end was confusing. Are you suggesting me to do 5 years of engineering and another 5 years of architecture as a mature student? Because that's a bit... I don't know. Thanks anyway!

I really appreciate your reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭PaperArchitect

I'm sorry for not phrasing my question well or sounding a bit clueless unto how to be an Architect in Ireland.

Most of the information you have given me is into my knowledge already and thank you for reminding me.

I didn't assume that if I do March, I would quickly be part of RIAI or anything near that sort but atleast, I am thinking if MArch can be my way before the experience or said diploma as I've seen from few FAQs coming from their official website.

I was just thinking about the degree UCD courses like Structural Engineering with Architecture and so thought because Engineering and Architecture shares alot of the same principles, could've been possible to progress into architecture?

From your answer, I am still not quite sure if I really can't or can because the end was confusing. Are you suggesting me to do 5 years of engineering and another 5 years of architecture as a mature student? Because that's a bit... I don't know. Thanks anyway!

I really appreciate your reply.

That's no problem.

The Structural Engineering with Architecture course in UCD is as far as I understand, an engineering degree - they do however share a few modules with the architecture students but they do not get any design experience. I'm almost certain these students would only be eligible to enter into the first year of architecture. While you are already starting a course in September there is a course in the University of Sheffield in England that is both an architecture and an engineering degree. I've heard it's very strenuous, but it is only 4 years so the ability of the students after 4 years is certainly questionable, but it is the only 50/50 course I've heard of.

To answer your question I think your only option in Ireland is to either complete the course you are doing and potentially be eligible for 2nd year in the architecture schools in Ireland, depending on your previous grades and qualifications. Schools are wary of advanced entry however, and I've never heard of anyone entering into a course after 2nd year. To complete an MArch, you must first have either a Bsc. Arch or a BArch. I'm not aware of schools offering the course to students with other degrees.

Structural Eng. in DIT is 4 years if I'm corrent so it is a long road if you want to study architecture afterwards.

Advertisement