Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saorview/freesat installation Rush

Options
  • 22-08-2016 9:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭

Finally decided to get rid of sky as felt the charges were too high. I was wondering if anybody could recommend what the best alternative to sky is, without subscription charges, and which local trader we should contact to have system installed.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭SPAWKER

Finally decided to get rid of sky as felt the charges were too high. I was wondering if anybody could recommend what the best alternative to sky is, without subscription charges, and which local trader we should contact to have system installed.

Thanks

Get yourself a Freesat box which will give you all the free UK channels with the ability to record and have a 7 day EPG and the just stick up an aerial for your RTE's and TV3 ETC or get yourself a combi box which will give you both terrestrial and satellite on the one box.
    Drop down to Dowlings in Skerries and Brian will be able to sort you out with something.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Was just about to suggest Brian in BD Electrical in Skerries too.
    You can get him on 01 849 2500.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

If you have sky, you only need a box.
    connect the satellite cables into the back of it and away you go. the same dish cables work for freesat.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭dslamjack

Or if you have decent broadband,you could try an Android Smart tv box ,which gives you the option of making your tv a smart tv and media centre all in one.
    Some thing like https://www.amazon.com/Lollipop-Quad-core-Dual-Band-Bluetooth-Double-sided/dp/B01C71JF1E or check out this thread here ... http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057446012&page=127

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭dslamjack

Ps I just seen this link from the thread above .. it give's you an idea of what you can get on a smart box at a very reasonable price .. http://www.adverts.ie/media-players/android-tv-box/10932548

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭alexanderomahon

Hi, if I get a Freesat box would I have to change the direction my sky dish is facing.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

Hi, if I get a Freesat box would I have to change the direction my sky dish is facing.

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

No, you just unscrew the sky cables form the sky box, and screw them into the new box and plug in the cable to the tv.

You might have to set up channels/favorites but that'll all be inside in your sitting room. No need to go near the dish.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭SPAWKER

No no need to do anything except swap the leads from the sky box over to it and if it is a proper freesat box all the channels will be in the correct order and will update automatically if the and when any of the channels move frequency which a free to air satellite box won't do.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,857 ✭✭✭billyhead

Folks, I think storm doris either damaged my satellite dish or misplaced it as I cant get a signal on my sky box. I dont have a sky subscription but I have FTA. Can anyone suggest someone to contact in the Rush area to get up on a ladder and fix it as I dont fancy getting up myself. Could end up in Beaumont. Also roughly how much would I be looking at to get problem resolved and the signal back?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

billyhead - I use Pat Hughes for all TV/ariel/dish work (Tel. 086 2540643). He does a lot of work in the Rush area. I've no idea what he'll charge though but he has always been reasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,857 ✭✭✭billyhead

billyhead - I use Pat Hughes for all TV/ariel/dish work (Tel. 086 2540643). He does a lot of work in the Rush area. I've no idea what he'll charge though but he has always been reasonable.

Thanks Wishbone Ash

Advertisement