Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How to book Brock (Summerslam Spoilers)

• 22-08-2016 10:00am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭

So I thought this would be an interesting topic. Fans are now getting worried that if the current trend of Brock destroying people goes on for much longer, it'll do more damage than good and make his defeat unrealistic.

Rather than debate the current booking model (That's in the Summerslam thread and other places), put on your own booking hat and tell us; How would YOU book Brock Lesnar after last nights Summerslam?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

I actually just find Brock completely boring since his last taker match in hell of a cell. His matches have just become suplexes and hits while the other wrestlers have little to no offence. His match with ambrose was terrible and now orton was too. He really isn't a draw to me and I'm finding myself switching off on his segments now.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,610 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I do find myself starting to get frustrated with Brock matches. I think he's great, in terms of having an aura of being a legit badass. But it's getting to the stage now where there's no one left to beat him, and I'd worry he'll just vanish one day having destroyed everyone and no one else getting anything from it.

The difference between pro-wrestling and MMA is that the former is meant to tell stories, but whats the story here? Who benefits from Brock destroying Orton? Brock looks like a monster....well, we knew that already. But now, Orton looks like a loser; he had no excuses for the loss. He got beat, royally and cleanly. He was no match for Brock. Like Ambrose, he's going to exit the feud looking worse than he did going in, yet he's the one who'll be expected to lead the show when Brock vanishes next week.

The point of building a monster is to have the good guy overcome him. But we're at the stage where all the good guys have tried, and failed. And utterly failed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,623 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Lord TSC wrote: »
    I do find myself starting to get frustrated with Brock matches. I think he's great, in terms of having an aura of being a legit badass. But it's getting to the stage now where there's no one left to beat him, and I'd worry he'll just vanish one day having destroyed everyone and no one else getting anything from it.

The difference between pro-wrestling and MMA is that the former is meant to tell stories, but whats the story here? Who benefits from Brock destroying Orton? Brock looks like a monster....well, we knew that already. But now, Orton looks like a loser; he had no excuses for the loss. He got beat, royally and cleanly. He was no match for Brock. Like Ambrose, he's going to exit the feud looking worse than he did going in, yet he's the one who'll be expected to lead the show when Brock vanishes next week.

The point of building a monster is to have the good guy overcome him. But we're at the stage where all the good guys have tried, and failed. And utterly failed.

Oh there's still one guy :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,976 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Roman Reigns goes over him at WM.

That's Vince's plan I'm guessing.

CSF wrote: »
    Roman Reigns goes over him at WM.

That's Vince's plan I'm guessing.

tumblr_obfr3g70I11u3cmuho1_400.gif

*Sigh*

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

AND HIS NAME IS JOHN CENA!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Love shinski nakumura to come up after the royal rumble and challange brock at wrestlemania and go over. The king of strong style vs the beast

ricero wrote: »
    Love shinski nakumura to come up after the royal rumble and challange brock at wrestlemania and go over. The king of strong style vs the beast

Vince would never let that happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

Matches with Balor, Joe and Nakamura. Unlikely to happen and less likely he'll be putting people over soon but his schtick of doing a few suplex city matches and then getting kayfabe suspended has gotten old. Mad that this 2012-present run is longer in calender time than his 2002-2004 run. Boggles the mind how things might have turned out in both WWE and UFC had he stayed 12years ago.

I guess a match with Rock is possible but Rock's busy doing films and wouldn't want to risk an injury. There'll be rumours until next Mania about a Conor McGregor match I'm sure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭thebostoncrab

I think Nakamura is the guy you book to eventually beat him. In order for the Brock "squash" to not get old, you need to book him against a different type of wrestler each time, so that the match can be sold differently and open up other interesting spots. The problem with Brock is that, while he can have matches, you need to put him in there with someone who will lead the match and go through the layout. I think that's why the Orton match failed to reach its potential. So I'd book Brock to go against the following (1 match for each person to keep that "big fight feel" and to use advantage of Brocks dates):

-Sami Zayn (Underdog style booking, that while Brock eventually wins he does so in a way that makes the fans really get behind Zayn and admire his talent and heart. While he comes up just short, it's enough to get him noticed more)
    -Kevin Owens (Now you have Owens, who says that Brock came "this close" to getting pinned by Zayn, while Owens would never allow that to happen (Typical heel disregarding the trurth of the old feud stuff). You have the Prize Fighter vs The Pro Fighter.)
    -Cesaro (The Swiss Superman now comes in and it's a beliveble winner. This is the one that fans think will be the huge upset and is used to sell the raw strength of Cesaro who has his big swing in the match.)

After this you have Brock and Heyman on Raw talk about how no one can stop The Beast. He has walked through prize fighters, the strongest men on the roster, the fan heroes, and they all fell to Brock Lesnar. There are no challenges for Brock anymore, he is the real face of the company.

Suddenly, Shane O'Mac comes out. He tells Heyman that Brock has only ran through one brand lately, and not the entire company. Smackdown is still hungry, and the only reason Brock won't go to the roster is because he knows the blue brand will take him out. Heyman can remind Shane that Brock already beat Cena and Orton, the blue brand has nothing. Shane can smile and say "Well, that's not true. There is someone that I just signed today that I know Brock will want nothing to do with. He has avoided this man, but now it's time for Brock to put his money where Heyman's mouth is (ie, Brocks ass), and go 1 on 1 with our newest signing."

Enter Shinsuke. Now you have a hard hitting match up with someone who could realistically beat Brock, and sure enough goes over him at Wrestlemania. Overnight you have made Shinsuke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

I really don't want "The (Bullet) Club". As I hope Balor gets a good run as the demon and goes on his own.

That said, a cool heel grouping of "The Club" versus Brock could be pretty boss. AJ and Balor et el like a pack of dogs terrorising Lesner and Heyman. Both equally credible to undo The Beasts juggernauting through all the WWE.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I don't want Brock Lesnar losing unless it is to the right guy. Randy Orton is most definitely not the right guy so I'm fine with Brock destroying him.

I think there was a logic to Reigns being the one to do it but the fact he clearly hasn't got over with the audience means I don't think he is the one to do it. I do believe Reigns will get over when he turns heel but by the time he turns back face I don't know if Brock will even still be around.

As regards Nakamura, I can't personally buy that he can beat Brock. It's like the CM Punk match all over again: I hated that match - because I couldn't buy that this small guy could live with a super heavyweight. (And considering where Brock and Punk stand now as regards the MMA world, boy was it a good call for Brock to win that feud)

Balor? Same deal. Even in demon paint I can't buy that he can beat Brock. It's not a knock on these guys. I mean I'm not sure I can be convinced to buy Conor McGregor being able to live with Brock. Brock is just a different animal to 95% of wrestlers: a super heavyweight with a level of credibility not seen in the business in decades.

In my opinion the guy to beat Brock must be someone that can handle the physicality that he will dish out, and who fans can perceive as being legitimiately tough in their own right.

There is one guy on the roster I think fits that bill. That man is Samoa Joe.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Someone has to beat him at mania for all this to be worthwhile.

I would also go with Nakamura tbh even though I can understand people saying Vince wouldn't do that but... who else is there? nobody wants to see him lose to Orton, Cena, HHH, Taker their time is gone for this win imo. He annihilated Ambrose but he AJ etc are on the Blue Brand and Brock is on Raw so I doubt we will see that, Rollins has faced him a number of times and can already brag about taking the beast title so does not need this rub. Balor, ok I love em and all but I dont wanna see Finn vs Balor as I honestly don't think he would look right going over him and using the Club to do so would water down the achievement.

I want Joe to come up from NXT and be built as a monster only to lose to Brock, The Ultimate Monster, at The Royal Rumble. Then NXT champion Shinsuke Nakamura rocks up and challenges the beast to a match at mania and wins BOOM instead mega star made!

but nah it'll be Reigns. It's been the plan for years

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭spektorfive

I'm glad Brock back to be full Heel. I hated when they made him the baby-face for a bit against Bray Wyatt. His a Heel and I think the Undertaker Summerslam crap finish didn't help. I wanted Randy to win and push him strong off it. I don't see who there going to go with now for Brock. A re-match with Randy seems pointless. I don't care with the bit at the end with Shane. God hope not leading to Shane vs. Brock.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭The Showstopper

The only match I really want to see Brock have is the Roman rematch. Wouldn't mind if he put Roman over and then just leaves.

Nakamura vs Lesnar sounds alright to me but I'd rather see Nakamura vs Reigns, same goes for Joe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Chain Smoker

The biggest issue with reigns in a lesnar feud is that I've absolutely no doubt that Vince'll think smart alek jokey reigns is the way to go.

Lesnar should've been beaten by now, the only reason he hasn't been is because of how consistently poor of a job they've done at the tip top of the card

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,363 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I'm sure when he first came back he lost some matches. Just seems to be since he beat Cena that he's really unstoppable.

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭A Rogue Hobo

CastorTroy wrote:
    I'm sure when he first came back he lost some matches. Just seems to be since he beat Cena that he's really unstoppable.

He did and if I recall correctly a lot of people were pissed off about him losing too. Can't please everyone unfortunately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Chain Smoker

CastorTroy wrote: »

Talking about since the streak was broken. It took breaking the streak to undo the damage caused by him losing his first match back and that horrid 50:50 feud with Hunter.

Think Taker did beat him on some technicality this time last year? But a clean middle of the ring 1-2-3 or tap-out win, nope.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭764dak

It's a good thing Bryan didn't face Brock Lesnar last year...

Strowman is a monster. Strowman vs Brock?

• Advertisement

Think Taker did beat him on some technicality this time last year? But a clean middle of the ring 1-2-3 or tap-out win, nope.

I wanna say Taker beat him with the Hells Gate, but that Brock didn't tap; he just passed out (while giving Taker the finger). I also think he hit a low blow before it too.

EDIT: Checking up, it was Summerslam last year. Brock made Taker tap, but the ref missed it. Taker hit the low blow, locked in a Hells Gate and Brock passed out. Exactly a year to the day today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,279 ✭✭✭✭briany

764dak wrote: »
    It's a good thing Bryan didn't face Brock Lesnar last year...

Strowman is a monster. Strowman vs Brock?

I think Strowman is seen as being relatively green. If you have him beating Lesnar, you would surely be positioning him as a marquee guy, and I don't think he's thought to be ready for that yet. He's more another monster to be overcome himself anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭nasty_crash

the only one to beat him should be a guy you could build on for a few years - a credible guy too - cos he aint gonna beat cena, trips, taker, orton and then loose to Sami...... i think if they brought up a face Roode.... could be a very interesting matchup - and could put Roode over big time.... either Roode or Joe for me - nakamura is just too small to be credible

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,279 ✭✭✭✭briany

the only one to beat him should be a guy you could build on for a few years - a credible guy too - cos he aint gonna beat cena, trips, taker, orton and then loose to Sami...... i think if they brought up a face Roode.... could be a very interesting matchup - and could put Roode over big time.... either Roode or Joe for me - nakamura is just too small to be credible

Isn't Samoa Joe near 40? His pedigree is unquestioned, but he might be considered a bit too old to build upon with the Lesnar victory, plus not a product of WWE and not having the favoured type of physique. That said, they've given a lot of fuel to AJ Styles, but they won't be putting him over Lesnar either.

The problem with Lesnar's booking is that he's not being put into any feuds or programs with anyone because he only comes in occasionally and so his fights don't really *mean* a whole lot. It wasn't Hogan v. Andre for no particular reason as we're seeing with Brock's latest matches. The match had emotional weight and a build up and it would be a shame for Lesnar to give the rub to a guy without this same kind of story, otherwise it'll be a waste.

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭A Rogue Hobo

Everyone said the same about Takers streak, it had to go to someone young with a long future ahead and they gave it to Brock who would have been about 37 at the time he broke the streak and it worked like a treat. Joe is currently 37. Now I don't see him being the one to go over Lesnar either, but stranger things and all that.

Just like with the undertakers streak I think it would mean a whole lot if someone beat him even if it didn't have a huge build prior to it (afterall Brock Taker 1 had a terrible build) especially once they capitalize on it the way they did with that win of Brocks which no doubt they will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭LeeJM

I think a face Kevin Owens is the man to beat Brock. KO is gonna be a face soon enough now when the team with Jericho goes sour. I think you have Owens step up to challenge Lesnar and you make him the first guy since HHH to pin Brock clean with no screwy finish. Then move KO into the Universal or World Title picture and have him win the title in his first one on one match vs the champ. In other words book Owens as The Man

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

Haven't the answer re: who should beat him or why but I know for sure whoever defeats the beast it can't be just a simple win. They need to destroy Lesner to get any bit of a rub.

Who is believably doing in that case?

LeeJM wrote: »
    I think a face Kevin Owens is the man to beat Brock. KO is gonna be a face soon enough now when the team with Jericho goes sour. I think you have Owens step up to challenge Lesnar and you make him the first guy since HHH to pin Brock clean with no screwy finish. Then move KO into the Universal or World Title picture and have him win the title in his first one on one match vs the champ. In other words book Owens as The Man
    They won't push Owens right to the top of the card because of his appearance. He already has the hardcore fans sold so he needs a face that can go on all the chat shows and give off the image he's looking for. Cena, Reigns, Rollins, Orton etc. All athletic and seem to be popular with women.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,952 ✭✭✭kksaints

TBH Reigns really is the ideal type for beating Lesnar. He's big enough for it to be believeable and hes already had a decent enough effort with Lesnar already.

kksaints wrote: »
    TBH Reigns really is the ideal type for beating Lesnar. He's big enough for it to be believeable and hes already had a decent enough effort with Lesnar already.

But nobody wants to see him at the top of the card.

But nobody wants to see him at the top of the card.

Vince does and in the end isn't that the most important thing.

Vince does and in the end isn't that the most important thing.

It is in terms of it actually happening, but not in terms of it being the right choice. The right choice is the guy where it's gonna create a moment by the person beating Brock. The crowd have to be behind the guy. Will never be behind Reigns.

Reigns was already in a main event of Wrestlemania against Lesnar, do we really think his position would be different now if he'd gone over?

It is in terms of it actually happening, but not in terms of it being the right choice. The right choice is the guy where it's gonna create a moment by the person beating Brock. The crowd have to be behind the guy. Will never be behind Reigns.

Reigns was already in a main event of Wrestlemania against Lesnar, do we really think his position would be different now if he'd gone over?

Not with the way he was booked after although I still beileve there is a chance that Reigns will get over but it will need some seriously good writing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭deadybai

Theres only one man who can really be the perfect guy to beat Brock. Thats Kurt Angle. Seriously that would be amazing to see them two feud again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Nakamura isn't all that small, compare him to Roode and he's two inches taller and only 15pounds lighter but with his mma background and strong style I'd believe in him going over Lesner more than Roode

They've also got history even if it was for one match and could build it as Nakamura coming to avenge his loss as a rookie but would his lack of English hinder him in promos against Heyman. The guy oozes charisma and would be epic watching him taunt Lesner while fighting.

Not with the way he was booked after although I still beileve there is a chance that Reigns will get over but it will need some seriously good writing.

That'd be the bit I'd disagree on. Far too many people are far too convinced in their dislike of their Reigns now. There's no going back. He will be recipient of boos for the rest of his career IMO.

People make Cena comparisons but they don't apply. Cena was insanely over for a fairly long amount of time and once the Cena Wins LOL booking ended most of us have reverted to liking him again because he's got that natural charisma that Reigns wasn't born with.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

They are going to do a match with Shane and the ring mat will have to be changed after due to all the sweat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

Id say keep Brock's run going until the right guy comes along.
    Eventually I d like to see Lesnar v Balor.
    Have Brock kayfabe attack Finns shoulder and put over Finns injury/recovery.
    Set it up like the impossible challenge for Finn.
    Finn goes over at WM against all odds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭764dak

It's funny how people insisted that Daniel Bryan should have won the 2015 Royal Rumble instead of Roman Reigns. To do what? Face Brock at WrestleMania?

You need a big guy to beat Brock.

• Advertisement

It's funny how people insisted that Daniel Bryan should have won the 2015 Royal Rumble instead of Roman Reigns. To do what? Face Brock at WrestleMania?

At the time people were not afraid for Bryan's health (at lest not most) and tbh him vs Brock would be the ultimate underdogs story but with Brian's technical skills and submissions plus some creative writing from the WWE it could be possible.

Now however after how destructive Brock has been for so long including destroying main event megastars like Cena / Orton and conquering the streak etc I do agree it will take a big guy or at least a hard as nails type to beat him.

Personally with who they have at their disposal at the moment I would build to The King of Strong Style Shinsuke Nakamura as the guy who can beat him as he would be an instant mega star and with his Strong Style, MMA background and being the same height as Brock (so he won't at least look too small beside the Beast) it'd be somewhat believable for him to beat Brock if it's booked well, while still being a shock and of course in doing so they would make him a massive star.

I would also like to see an all out war with Samoa Joe before hand as it'd be epic but Brock wins before facing the guy who took Joe's title in NXT at Mania... it has to be at Mania if he loses.

I really hope he (Brock) doesn't face Shane... maybe Shane can be the one who calls up Joe and (potentially Nakamura afterwards) sends him after Brock so as to get some revenge for Summerslam.

People liked Bryan, they didn't like Reigns. The only way they could have made that actually work is have heel Reigns beat face Brock. They didn't wanna do that, and instead told people 'no we don't care, you have to like Reigns'. It's perfectly normal that people would vocally reject that.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭princemuzzy

if he gonna hang around as a special attraction they need to build him like Taker in recent years, people trying to beat him at Mania/sslam

i think we saw that with the orton match

no storyline begining but a feature match

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

I'm still pissed about the Mania match with Dean. It was a chance to make Dean look like the Iron Man they'd been talking him up as, but the match was just another case of Brock not really selling, and just suplexing him around the place. I wish they'd never come up with the Suplex City shtick, it immediately reduced his matches to almost solely German suplexes, when Brock can wrestle a much better match than that.

There was/is talk of Goldberg coming back, but realistically could anyone buy a guy in his 50s (who I don't think has had a match since Wrestlemania 20) beating Brock? I think they've just had Brock too dominant, for too long at this point.

Advertisement