Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restaurant Recommendation for this Wednesday

Options
  • 22-08-2016 10:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

My wife and I are going to a gig in Wexford town on Wednesday evening.

I'm looking for a recommendation for a restaurant/pub grub before the event. I would need to be gone from the restaurant by about 7.15pm so need one that opens all day/opens early and that you don't need two hours to have a meal.

From looking online, Donna Marina looks nice (tapas). Has anyone tried here?

Any other recommendations very welcome.

Thanks!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭dintbo

Cistin Eile is always lovely and they start dinners at 5 or 5.30 as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

PGE1970 wrote: »
    Hi all,

My wife and I are going to a gig in Wexford town on Wednesday evening.

I'm looking for a recommendation for a restaurant/pub grub before the event. I would need to be gone from the restaurant by about 7.15pm so need one that opens all day/opens early and that you don't need two hours to have a meal.

From looking online, Donna Marina looks nice (tapas). Has anyone tried here?

Any other recommendations very welcome.

Thanks!!

I'm guessing you might be heading to Lloyd Cole in Greenacres which is also a restaurant in the past they have been very helpful to people booking a pre show dinner.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭Corvo

Lots of restaurants nearby, The Vine, The Yard, Spice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭PGE1970

McLoughlin wrote: »
    I'm guessing you might be heading to Lloyd Cole in Greenacres which is also a restaurant in the past they have been very helpful to people booking a pre show dinner.

Correct re Lloyd Cole. we're travelling from Drogheda so not a lot of time before the gig to get something to eat.

Thanks for recommendation!

If it was me, and this is my opinion, I would give Greenacres a miss. Ive found the food not great for what they charge to be honest. Overpriced and Ive been disappointed any time Ive been there.

Id certainly give The Yard a look and Cistín Eile always provides a lovely evening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Cistin wrong end of town if under pressure for time. Could try here as its in the area -

http://www.wexfordpeople.ie/lifestyle/bringing-healthy-food-to-the-table-34727040.html

Can't vouch for it but looks like it opens at noon and a 2 min walk to concert

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Yep OMalis opens early.

haven't been, but a few work colleagues were there at lunch last week & gave good reviews of the place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

vicwatson wrote: »
    Cistin wrong end of town if under pressure for time. Could try here as its in the area -

http://www.wexfordpeople.ie/lifestyle/bringing-healthy-food-to-the-table-34727040.html

Can't vouch for it but looks like it opens at noon and a 2 min walk to concert

If you're under time pressures, I certainly wouldn't eat in Greenacres, even though the gig is in the same building

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭fondriest

The Vine , nice Thai restaurant . 30 second walk from the gig. Have eaten there a few times and always good.

fondriest wrote: »
    The Vine , nice Thai restaurant . 30 second walk from the gig. Have eaten there a few times and always good.

Go naked as its like sitting in an oven in this place

• Advertisement

Well op, which restaurant? How was it? More importantly how was Lloyd ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭PGE1970

Many thanks for all of the recommendations folks!

We ended up going to The Yard. It is, as you all know, very close to Greenacres also. Food was also very nice too and service was prompt (at 6pm) so we were in plenty of time for the gig.

The gig was top class. Apparently, it was the first time that the venue held a gig like this. It was sold out but maybe only 400 there which meant a very intimate event.

Lloyd Cole was amazing. He has lost none of his voice and he played an acoustic set with a guitar. It was all of the Commotions stuff and a couple of songs from the first couple of sole albums. All of the well known songs were played. His son joined him on guitar for the second half and added a nice dimension.

Overall, a superb show. I think he still has a gig or two left in Ireland this week and would hugely recommend if you are into 80s indie.

We thoroughly enjoyed our brief stay in Wexford. I hadn't been in donkey's years and took a walk around town. It looks great! I'll be back.

Thanks again!!

Advertisement