Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Raid NAS

Options
  • 22-08-2016 11:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,398 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

So I recently bought NETGEAR RN204 but I'm finding it not as powerful as I like. Also the fact that I can't install dropbox on it is quite annoying. (full dropbox not just dropbox up)

I'm looking for recommendations for an upgrade, build my own? (If so is there a thread of HW recommendations) get another hp proliant? or buy a better spec one?

Thanks for your time.
    Gary

P.S. Apologies if this is a repetitive post, I couldn't find similar on my search.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭davo2001

If you have the money then consider a Synology or QNAP.

I use Synology and Buffalo NAS's personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

I built a replacement unRAID box recently after bricking my HP Microserver. It was an N54L and struggled to transcode in Plex, so I wanted to sort it once and for all. On top of that I wanted it to run silent (or as close as possible) and I wanted space for 6 HDD's and 2 SSD's. The ITX board has 6 x SATA III ports and I have a PCI 2 x SATA III for when I need to add more drives.

Parts were:

Mini-Box picoPSU-160-XT High Power 24 Pin Mini-ITX Power Supply £41.68
    StarTech.com 8in 24 Pin ATX 2.01 Power Extension Cable £3.32
    Gigabyte H97N-WIFI Intel LGA1150 H97 Mini-ITX Motherboard (2x DDR3, 6x USB3.0, 4x USB2.0, GBE, LAN, HDMI, DP) £110.38
    Crucial CT2KIT102464BA160B 16GB (2X8GB) DDR3 240 Pin PC3-1600 CL9 Unbuffered UDIMM Memory Module Kit £37.99
    LEICKE PSU Power Supply Charger 120W 12V 10A 5.5*2.5 mm | Compatible with picoPSU, Routers, LED Strips, TFTs & LDC Displays £23.99
    Lian Li PC-Q08B PC-Q08 Mini-ITX Case 3.5 Inches/5.25 Inches USB 3.0 Black £94.53

I got an i7-5775C at a deeply discounted rate which was complete overkill, but it suited my needs on TDP and speed and the price was right.

Total for the above was ~ €400

I already had 5 x 3TB WD Reds and a Crucial 480GB SSD from my previous build, but to buy them new would push you close to a grand. Looking at that it's hard to make the case for not buying a HP Microserver, but I may have hit performance limits and it would be far from silent.

As regards OS, I run unRAID and would highly recommend it (unless you need RAID read speeds). It's a small OS that runs in memory from a USB drive and offers parity protection without data striping (so more efficient use of space) . It's all configurable in a browser and supports many applications such as Dropbox as a Docker (again, all downloadable and configurable in your browser). It even supports full virtualisation if you want to run VM's.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,398 ✭✭✭randombar

stimpson wrote: »
    I built a replacement unRAID box recently after bricking my HP Microserver. It was an N54L and struggled to transcode in Plex, so I wanted to sort it once and for all. On top of that I wanted it to run silent (or as close as possible) and I wanted space for 6 HDD's and 2 SSD's. The ITX board has 6 x SATA III ports and I have a PCI 2 x SATA III for when I need to add more drives.

Parts were:

Mini-Box picoPSU-160-XT High Power 24 Pin Mini-ITX Power Supply £41.68
    StarTech.com 8in 24 Pin ATX 2.01 Power Extension Cable £3.32
    Gigabyte H97N-WIFI Intel LGA1150 H97 Mini-ITX Motherboard (2x DDR3, 6x USB3.0, 4x USB2.0, GBE, LAN, HDMI, DP) £110.38
    Crucial CT2KIT102464BA160B 16GB (2X8GB) DDR3 240 Pin PC3-1600 CL9 Unbuffered UDIMM Memory Module Kit £37.99
    LEICKE PSU Power Supply Charger 120W 12V 10A 5.5*2.5 mm | Compatible with picoPSU, Routers, LED Strips, TFTs & LDC Displays £23.99
    Lian Li PC-Q08B PC-Q08 Mini-ITX Case 3.5 Inches/5.25 Inches USB 3.0 Black £94.53

I got an i7-5775C at a deeply discounted rate which was complete overkill, but it suited my needs on TDP and speed and the price was right.

Total for the above was ~ €400

I already had 5 x 3TB WD Reds and a Crucial 480GB SSD from my previous build, but to buy them new would push you close to a grand. Looking at that it's hard to make the case for not buying a HP Microserver, but I may have hit performance limits and it would be far from silent.

As regards OS, I run unRAID and would highly recommend it (unless you need RAID read speeds). It's a small OS that runs in memory from a USB drive and offers parity protection without data striping (so more efficient use of space) . It's all configurable in a browser and supports many applications such as Dropbox as a Docker (again, all downloadable and configurable in your browser). It even supports full virtualisation if you want to run VM's.

Thanks for that, I like the idea of a new build all right and have all the disks. Had a proliant before didn't like the way when the mobo went I needed a new box. Nice low power PSU also.

Where did you order your kit from, used Hardware versand before but they're gone now.

GaryCocs wrote: »
    Thanks for that, I like the idea of a new build all right and have all the disks. Had a proliant before didn't like the way when the mobo went I needed a new box. Nice low power PSU also.

Where did you order your kit from, used Hardware versand before but they're gone now.

I bricked my N54L after taking it apart to clean. The PCI SATA card wasn't seated correctly and it toasted the motherboard on startup. Not worth replacing, but TBH I wasn't happy with the performance and there was no way to upgrade the CPU.

All of that kit was bought on Amazon except the case which I picked up on Adverts. I got an ARCTIC Freezer i11 on adverts too, but a large air cooler will only fit if you get a PicoPSU - a normal PSU will restrict your clearance over the CPU. Oh, and I got 6 right-angled SATA III cables on adverts too.

There was also a couple of StarTech.com 4x SATA Power Splitter Adaptor Cable daisy chained to give me 7 SATA power connectors as the PicoPSU only has a single connector.

The CPU comes in at around €400 retail, but it's overkill for a server. You should be able to pick something up much cheaper.

One reason I didn't replace my N54L with a Gen 7 Microserver is the lack of space for drives and the fact that they make a bit of noise. If that wasn't such a problem for you then it could be worth thinking about. You could replace the CPU with a Xeon and bump the RAM to 16GB for a fraction of what I spent

• Registered Users Posts: 3,398 ✭✭✭randombar

stimpson wrote: »
    I bricked my N54L after taking it apart to clean. The PCI SATA card wasn't seated correctly and it toasted the motherboard on startup. Not worth replacing, but TBH I wasn't happy with the performance and there was no way to upgrade the CPU.

All of that kit was bought on Amazon except the case which I picked up on Adverts. I got an ARCTIC Freezer i11 on adverts too, but a large air cooler will only fit if you get a PicoPSU - a normal PSU will restrict your clearance over the CPU. Oh, and I got 6 right-angled SATA III cables on adverts too.

There was also a couple of StarTech.com 4x SATA Power Splitter Adaptor Cable daisy chained to give me 7 SATA power connectors as the PicoPSU only has a single connector.

The CPU comes in at around €400 retail, but it's overkill for a server. You should be able to pick something up much cheaper.

One reason I didn't replace my N54L with a Gen 7 Microserver is the lack of space for drives and the fact that they make a bit of noise. If that wasn't such a problem for you then it could be worth thinking about. You could replace the CPU with a Xeon and bump the RAM to 16GB for a fraction of what I spent

Hmmm can you replace the chip on the newer microservers? Might take another look.

• Advertisement

GaryCocs wrote: »
    Hmmm can you replace the chip on the newer microservers? Might take another look.

Indeed you can:

https://b3n.org/installed-xeon-e3-1230v2-in-gen8-hp-microserver/

Advertisement