Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Importing from United States for resale

Options
  • 22-08-2016 12:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭

I am starting an online shop and I will be importing goods (clothing) from the US for resale in Ireland and the rest of the EU. I am registered for VAT. Can anyone advise me on how to go about the whole customs clearance and VAT on imports to start with. The initial value of goods will be around 4000 euro.How best to transport the goods.
    Thanks for any assistance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭mrawkward

read this first http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=90990260 excellent info on branded goods and then this on taxes/duties etc http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=86327558

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Gerry1995

Thank you for the reply, I have seen some of this already and there is a lot to understand. The TARIC codes in particular are very difficult. Do you think it is necessary or a good idea to involve a freight forwarder even though our initial shipment will be only two boxes 40cm x 33cm x 56 cm each weighing approx 8.25 kg.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭mrawkward

Probably worth at least running it by user RUDOLF289 on here, Top man.

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭RUDOLF289

Gerry1995 wrote: »
    I am starting an online shop and I will be importing goods (clothing) from the US for resale in Ireland and the rest of the EU. I am registered for VAT. Can anyone advise me on how to go about the whole customs clearance and VAT on imports to start with. The initial value of goods will be around 4000 euro.How best to transport the goods.
    Thanks for any assistance

Hello Gerry1995,

As mrawkward suggested, make sure the clothing is not branded, unless you have permission from the owner of the brand AND their distributor. Customs is very strong on stopping branded products that are not coming in through the regular channels.

If you can tell me the type of clothing I can have a look at trying to classify your product and advise the duty rates. VAT will be 23% calculated over the cost of the product, freight cost plus transport insurance and the duty. Obviously, if you are registered for VAT, the VAT paid on imports is a deductible input in your periodic VAT return.

I may be able to assist in bringing your boxes in also. We have some good discounts available on UPS.

Feel free to post again or send me a PM.

Cheers,
    Rudolf289

Advertisement