Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling across the Eastlink

Options
  • 22-08-2016 12:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭

Having witnessed a guard stopping a cyclist crossing the Eastlink and requesting them to dismount I recently received the below reply from DCC following a number of emails back and forth.

Personally I continue to cycle across both ways twice a day without incident.

Ref: SR 17814

Dear Mr xxxx

Following a site inspection, the area engineer reports the following:

It was observed that the North and South bound approaches to the bridge are furnished with Regulatory sign RUS 055 "The No Cycles Sign”, indicating that cycling is prohibited. These signs are also equipped with supplementary plates attached immediately below the sign to provide additional information, which reads: “SAFETY NOTICE CYCLIST ARE REQUESTED TO DISMOUNT AND WALK THE BICYCLES ACROOS EAST-LINK BRIDGE VIA THE FOOTPATH”

The signs provided are in accordance with the traffic sign Manual, published by the Department of Transport, which constitutes a Direction given by the Minister of Transport to Road Authorities under Section 95 of the Road Traffic Act 1961 and all its additions and amendments, in relation to the provision of traffic signs.

In accordance with the act a “Traffic Sign” means any sign, device, notice or road marking, or any instrument for giving signals by mechanical means, in relation to a public road or public roads:

(a). Gives information.
    (b). Warns persons of danger or advises persons of the precautions to be taken against such danger, or both.
    (c). Indicates the existence of a road regulation or implements such a regulation, or both, or indicates the existence of a provision in an enactment relating to road traffic (such a sign being referred to in this section as ‘a regulatory sign’

Having thus established that the “Regulatory Signs” fitted to the East Link Bridge are in accordance with the road traffic act, it is difficult to understand how the legality of the signs are in question.

Regards,

Clerical Officer

Environment & Transportation Department | Block 2, Floor 6 | Civic Offices | Wood Quay| Dublin City Council| Dublin 8

Telephone 00353 222 2251 | Fax: 00353 222 2190 | E: traffic@dublincity.ie

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

I never saw any signs there. Perhaps I missed them but I don't regularly go that way. Have done so several times over the past 12 months though and was not stopped

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭NiallBoo

Nice of them to avoid answering the question meaningfully.

Does anyone know why they decided to prohibit cycling on the bride?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

If RUS 055 are up there, then you're out of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Due to design as it's not wide and danger of been blown into traffic would be a good reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭NiallBoo

Due to design as it's not wide and danger of been blown into traffic would be a good reason.
    You mean getting blown all the way into another lane?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

But a road like this which is narrower and windier is perfectly fine to cycle on? The width of the East Link is not a valid reason. It's not a motorway so there is no reason why cycling should be prohibited.
    394990.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 15,655 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

I take it as advisory only. Unless the EL has been designated as a special type of Road (like a motorway) then I can see no reason why I should not be allowed cycle on it.

If it has been designated that DCC should be able to show it.

I hope the cyclist told to garda where to go when he requested it. They can request all they like of course but doesn't mean you need to follow it unless they can show a legitimate need for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭daragh_

I never saw any signs there.

Not surprised.

29047939102_b89cd112da_z.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Leroy42 wrote: »
    I take it as advisory only. Unless the EL has been designated as a special type of Road (like a motorway) then I can see no reason why I should not be allowed cycle on it.

If it has been designated that DCC should be able to show it.

I hope the cyclist told to garda where to go when he requested it. They can request all they like of course but doesn't mean you need to follow it unless they can show a legitimate need for it.

More like a polite request than a legal requirement:

https://goo.gl/maps/mL9HrW8KtFu

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

S.I. No. 332/2012 - Road Traffic (Traffic and Parking) (Amendment) (No. 2) Regulations 2012
    Prohibition on pedal cycles

11. (1) Where traffic sign number RUS 055 (no pedal cycles) is provided, a person driving a pedal cycle shall not proceed beyond the sign.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,768 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

The No Cycling sign has legal force. I think that's right. It's strange combining it with a request to dismount. On a sign that's almost impossible to see. In a locked basement. With a sign saying 'Beware of the Leopard'.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,592 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

is there a sign at the other side informing you that you can mount your bicycle again? if not, at what point is it OK to do so?

Unlike algorithms, I think Law has a certain assumption of common-sense interpretation built in. So I think (but no law-talking dude I) that the strong implication is that the sign applies to the bridge alone, as an open-ended commitment to being dismounted until you meet a "re-mount" sign is, in effect, absurd.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,592 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i was thinking of speed limits, which i was once told apply until you see a sign informing you of a change in the limit. i was wondering if (if that's true) does it apply to other road signs.

In my limited experience, you're constantly reminded of the speed limit (even by little signs to remind you that it hasn't changed). So effectively it doesn't come up much that you are left in a limbo wondering whether the speed limit is what it was ten minutes ago.

Fair point alright.

(I don't think there is a sign for "End of prohibition on being up on a bike", is there? Like a motorway exit sign maybe. Which would still look like a No Cycling sign, actually.)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

daragh_ wrote: »
    Not surprised.

29047939102_b89cd112da_z.jpg

confusingly placed on the wrong side of the road when coming at it from this side! i would never have known it was there till i saw this picture and i cycle this route every day. i do see the sign when crossing from the opposite side but had always assumed it was advisory.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,655 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

So then is it illegal to now cycle across the EL. Seems as if I had it wrong and (although the sign is not in the right place) it is now illegal to cycle across.

The No Cycling sign has been there for ages though, hasn't it? Wrong side of the road and all. And the "request" too.

tomasrojo wrote: »
    The No Cycling sign has been there for ages though, hasn't it? Wrong side of the road and all. And the "request" too.

it certainly has been on the other end of the bridge for ages so can assume it has been on both ends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

I cycle the Eastlink every day the please dismount sign was always on the southbound side as you entered the bridge. The northbound sign was on the entry to the bridge but on the southbound side, this was moved a number of months ago to the entry on the northbound side.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Driving a pedal cycle? Maybe you're all misunderstanding it so, they obviously mean you're not allowed take one over the bridge on a rack.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

Indeed

Even google maps only recommends you walk your bicycle across

https://www.google.ie/maps/dir/53.3467784,-6.227647/53.3448211,-6.2272175/@53.34678,-6.2300075,16z/am=t/data=!4m6!4m5!3e1!6m3!1i0!2i0!3i1?hl=en

Also its the "Tom Clarke Bridge" now!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

I think the confusion over the legality of the signage was caused by the bridge being a private road up to recently.

( Is it legal to put up and enforce government signage on a private road?)

Now that it is part of the R131 I suppose we have to take them as legal..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

The law is fairly clear in the sign only prevents you cycling past the sign, so you can walk past the sign and then cycle on legally.
    Or obviously remove the saddle and just cycle away past the sign...

• Registered Users Posts: 82,741 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Signs are on the wrong side of the road both sides, how hard could it be to put them correct side matching flow of traffic?

Signs are on the wrong side of the road both sides, how hard could it be to put them correct side matching flow of traffic?

it's on the wrong side in the photo coming from ringsend side but if coming from the point it's on the correct side.

I just walked across the bridge and the sign actually states cyclist are "required to dissmount" not "requested to"

Also does this mean my KOM across the bridge is now safe as no body will ever cycle across it again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

bazermc wrote: »
    I just walked across the bridge and the sign actually states cyclist are "required to dissmount" not "requested to"

Are you certain?

EL-SN.jpg

GM228 wrote: »
    Are you certain?

EL-SN.jpg

Positive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

bazermc wrote: »
    Positive.

Either they have been changed (new name noted) or there's a mixture of old and new?

In any case what is written under it is irrelevant I suppose as RUS 055 says it all.

Advertisement