Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling across the Eastlink

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Crocked

Cyclists don't pay the toll to use the road bridge like other vehicles

Do motorbikes?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

A cyclist walking a bike over the bridge on the footpath will generally take up twice the space as someone cycling.

I think it is only here that people are assuming the banning of cycling and the wind conditions are somehow linked. I don't think DCC have given a reason why they consider it unsafe to cycle. IMHO, the anti-cycling bias that exists in many Local Authority Traffic Departments lives on and this exemplifies it. Looking for a solution that separates cyclists from artics and cars is just too much hassle. Placing an order for a few new signs is so much easier.

Do we need an accident to happen due to cross wind before we address it?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,395 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

why can't we all just get along?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

How Old is the Bridge?
    How Many "Wind Issues" have there been so far?
    Is it possible we're discussing a solution to a problem that doesn't exist?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,592 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I think it is only here that people are assuming the banning of cycling and the wind conditions are somehow linked. I don't think DCC have given a reason why they consider it unsafe to cycle.
    or is it risk/litigation aversion - the fact that an attempt was made to address the safety of cyclists (regardless of how effective that attempt is) means they're able to point to something in case a cyclist was killed or seriously injured?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

And your considered assessment of the risk is based on what exactly?

If it is all that exposed there, I would expect the bridge to be closed to high-sided vehicles (trucks) once the wind speed exceeded a certain limit.

07Lapierre wrote: »
    How Old is the Bridge?

I hope you are right, that no accident ever happens.

But from what I have experienced on it, when running across it twice/three times a week, its only a matter of time before someone gets hurts. God knows what it is like for a cyclists.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,296 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Cyclists don't pay the toll to use the road bridge like other vehicles
    Motorcycles don't have to pay either.
    How Old is the Bridge?
    You could also say "why do we have to wait for someone to get killed in order to do something about it?"

God knows what it is like for a cyclists.

Dont ask God...Ask a cyclist. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

I hope you are right, that no accident ever happens.

But from what I have experienced on it, when running across it twice/three times a week, its only a matter of time before someone gets hurts. God knows what it is like for a cyclists.

i cycle over this bridge both directions every day and can say that the greatest risk to & from cyclists relates to those who cycle on the footpaths. i take a position going north to south that prevents the moving traffic from passing me and i clearly signal i'm turning right at the end of the bridge (into ringsend). i never get any hassle from drivers, either with beeping or people trying to dangerously overtake.

in my opinion there are far worse roads for cycling in the city and they don't have signs banning cyclists.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

But from what I have experienced on it, when running across it twice/three times a week, its only a matter of time before someone gets hurts.

Are you sure that's safe?;)

Cienciano wrote: »
    Motorcycles don't have to pay either.

You could also say "why do we have to wait for someone to get killed in order to do something about it?"

OK...can we also get a few Lightening rods installed on the bridge?

I have a few other suggestions too:

1. The Road surface..can we change it to that soft padded stuff they use in Kids playgrounds.
    2. The railings, can we cover them in bubblewrap?
    3. Can we have a Paramedic on duty 24hours a day?
    4. Can we have a defibrillator installed in case a jogger has a heart attack?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

What's the alternative bridge, by the way, the Beckett? It looks a bit fiddly to get to, coming from the south. (The bridge with the red teardrop is Tom Clarke/Eastlink, the one to the west of that on the main river is the Sam Beckett.)

395077.png

Are you sure that's safe?;)

At times I have stop running and just put my hand on the hand rail and walked across.
    Its just very open there

• Registered Users Posts: 15,655 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

The alternative bridge doesn't take anyone off their route.

Nothing wrong going on the road there, well maybe put that on your tombstone so your love ones will know at least!

Do they need to deviate from the road? If yes then its off the route. Whether you think that is a big deviation is not the point.

Why would me staying on the road lead to my death? Is there something about that particular part of the route that stipulates that motor vehicles can park their responsibility to look out for other road users? Its this very thinking that causes the problem. Cyclists have their own route so I can do whatever I like and if someones gets in my way then its their fault.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Kev_2012

Just get off the bike?

There are bad crosswinds across the bridges on the Liffey and it's a narrow bridge.

But you cyclists would just ignore the damn signs anyway like ye do on the Sean O'Casey bridge!! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭jimd2

Seaswimmer wrote: »
    Having witnessed a guard stopping a cyclist crossing the Eastlink and requesting them to dismount I recently received the below reply from DCC following a number of emails back and forth.

Personally I continue to cycle across both ways twice a day without incident.

You mightnt have noticed it but I note that you blanked out your own name while leaving the name of the official that responded to you in the original post. Is that not a little unfair or against the forum charter etc?

I think you should edit the post and take his name out, I am sure you wouldn't like your own name copied and pasted across the web if you had an interaction with someone through your work.

On the subject I wouldn't have thought that cycling on the Eastlink is a big issue but what will the consequential effect of the ban be if there is an accident on the bridge involving a cyclist considering that they had been informed not to cycle on the bridge?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭buffalo

Chuchote wrote: »
    Good point. The Earth view on Google Maps shows an artic trying to negotiate the roundabout after the end of the Tom Clarke Bridge (the Eastlink); I certainly wouldn't like to be cycling near it.

All the more reason to cycle assertively on the road - you're clearly visible to other road users, and they can anticipate your actions.

Being on the path puts you outside the 'road' to most road users. Hopping down off a high kerb to rejoin traffic at a random point (last time I crossed it I didn't notice a designated ramp) is unpredictable behaviour, and therefore more risky.

Kev_2012 wrote: »
    But you cyclists would just ignore the damn… :mad:

Way to generalise, Kevster!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,655 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Just get off the bike?

There are bad crosswinds across the bridges on the Liffey and it's a narrow bridge.

But you cyclists would just ignore the damn signs anyway like ye do on the Sean O'Casey bridge!! :mad:

Why should we get off the bike? No reason for it has been give. Crosswinds has been put out as a possible, but then it begs the question about letting people walk across, or motorbikes, or high-sided vehicles, but this doesn't appear to be the case.

If the bridge is unsafe, (and not being an engineer I have not empirical evidence, but I do not know of any statistics to point to this particular bridge being a major outlier in terms of accidents) then corrective action should be taken to bring the road into safe situation.

IMO, all the evidence seems to point to this simply being a way to get cyclists out of the way of the motor vehicles so they don't have to slow down. If they really want to achieve this then build an alternative bridge in line with this one.

• Advertisement

Leroy42 wrote: »
    IMO, all the evidence seems to point to this simply being a way to get cyclists out of the way of the motor vehicles so they don't have to slow down. If they really want to achieve this then build an alternative bridge in line with this one.

…or add an outside boardwalk-style cycle track off the side of the bridge.

Do they need to deviate from the road? If yes then its off the route. Whether you think that is a big deviation is not the point.

Why would me staying on the road lead to my death? Is there something about that particular part of the route that stipulates that motor vehicles can park their responsibility to look out for other road users? Its this very thinking that causes the problem. Cyclists have their own route so I can do whatever I like and if someones gets in my way then its their fault.

Where the cars come off the m50 at liffey valley and the traffic all merges, its pretty bad there. Now if you decide you want to cycle there and take an unneeded risk, you go ahead, it doesn't matter if your in the right or wrong, if you end up in an zombie state or dead.

Whaaaaat?

395080.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,592 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

But you cyclists would just ignore the damn signs anyway like ye do on the Sean O'Casey bridge!!
    what signs are on the sean o'casey bridge?

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭wotswattage

I've only been across it twice on a bike & I dismounted and walked across both ways. The roadway is very narrow and I wouldn't feel comfortable cycling across it with a line of vehicles behind me looking to pass. It takes one impatient driver who sees the no bikes sign and tries to force an overtake because they think (rightly in one sense) that you shouldn't be there to cause a serious accident.

I see more and more evidence of double standard on this forum. If a car happened to go into a bike there is general uproar, but here are cyclists trying to justify (for a myriad of sully reasons) cycling across a bridge with 'no cycling' signs on it.

You can't have it both ways.

Or maybe the answer is to remove the footpaths and replace them with a cycle lane? it would be easier to modify the bridge with a metal walkway on either side for pedestrians.

I've only been across it twice on a bike & I dismounted and walked across both ways. The roadway is very narrow and I wouldn't feel comfortable cycling across it with a line of vehicles behind me looking to pass.

If your not comfortable ...that's fine..take an alternate route, but a lot of cyclists are quite capable of cycling over that bridge without being a hindrance to other road users. Making it illegal for ALL cyclists is overkill and totally unnecessary.

I see more and more evidence of double standard on this forum. If a car happened to go into a bike there is general uproar, but here are cyclists trying to justify (for a myriad of sully reasons) cycling across a bridge with 'no cycling' signs on it.
    do you not see the underlying reason, though?
    denying a car access to a cycle lane in no way impedes the progress of a car (except for parking, if you want to allow that); cars are not exactly faced with a lot of access restrictions on the road network.
    trying to draw a parallel with a situation where cyclists are actually prevented from cycling doesn't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭wotswattage

If your not comfortable ...that's fine..take an alternate route, but a lot of cyclists are quite capable of cycling over that bridge without being a hindrance to other road users. Making it illegal for ALL cyclists is overkill and totally unnecessary.

I couldn't care less about being a hindrance to a motorist I'm concerned about someone knocking me off the bike if they tried to pass me, which they would if they saw the no cycling signs and formed the opinion that the bike shouldn't even be there. Its like a red rag to a bull. Self preservation goes a long way on a bike.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Kev_2012

Chuchote wrote: »
    Way to generalise, Kevster!

Well as someone who walks home every day I witness it every day. I probably see 4-5 cyclists each time I cross the Sean O Casey bridge and probably 1 every 3-4 days (1 out of 16-20 cyclists) will actually dismount, so it's not really generalisation it's simply stating what I see every day.
    Why should we get off the bike? No reason for it has been give. Crosswinds has been put out as a possible, but then it begs the question about letting people walk across, or motorbikes, or high-sided vehicles, but this doesn't appear to be the case.

If the bridge is unsafe, (and not being an engineer I have not empirical evidence, but I do not know of any statistics to point to this particular bridge being a major outlier in terms of accidents) then corrective action should be taken to bring the road into safe situation.

Well the bridge is built, it's there a while now and it's not built for cyclists, so just get off the bike.
    what signs are on the sean o'casey bridge?

There are many signs on the bollards as you get on the bridge.

Advertisement