Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling across the Eastlink

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,741 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

It takes about 15 seconds to cycle across it, surely a car can wait behind a cyclist for this amount of time and then overtake when it's safe to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭wotswattage

It takes about 15 seconds to cycle across it, surely a car can wait behind a cyclist for this amount of time and then overtake when it's safe to do so.

You would imagine so wouldn't you, but we know how angry drivers get with cyclists disobeying the rules. One angry driver teaching a militant cyclist a lesson by overtaking dangerously and it's curtains for the cyclist.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,592 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Kev_2012 wrote: »
    There are many signs on the bollards as you get on the bridge.
    that was a brain fade on my part. i was thinking of the samuel beckett bridge.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,592 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

what's the speed limit on the bridge?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

I couldn't care less about being a hindrance to a motorist I'm concerned about someone knocking me off the bike if they tried to pass me, which they would if they saw the no cycling signs and formed the opinion that the bike shouldn't even be there. Its like a red rag to a bull. Self preservation goes a long way on a bike.

Cycle in the middle of the lane and they wont attempt to pass. It only takes 30 seconds or so to cross the bridge itself and if there's heavy traffic, no one is going to even try to overtake.

• Advertisement

You would imagine so wouldn't you, but we know how angry drivers get with cyclists disobeying the rules. One angry driver teaching a militant cyclist a lesson by overtaking dangerously and it's curtains for the cyclist.

So ban angry drivers from using the bridge?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

I can't understand why drivers are in such a hurry. They're sitting there comfortably in an armchair, and their only exercise will be the walk from front door to car at either end. Relax!

the east link is 104m across (source: http://www.bridgesofdublin.ie/bridges/east-link-bridge ); a cyclist would cover that in 18.5s, at 20kph. a car doing 50kph would take 7.5s, or 12.5s at 30kph. so you're talking of a delay to motorised traffic of either 11s or 6s, depending on the speed limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

Militant cyclist? ? Substitute the helmet and cycling jersey for a beret and combat jacket shouting "Power to the people " , maybe? ??

• Registered Users Posts: 11,768 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

It's interesting that the psychopathic driver you're describing here is merely "angry", while the cyclist who is just using a road that is completely unremarkable and rather like the roads he or she used to get to the bridge is "militant".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

Reply from Andrew Montague who also copied in Owen Keegan.

That’s really frustrating. Cyclists should NOT be restricted from using one of the key north-south bridges in the city. All our traffic plans say that walking, cycling and public transport will take priority over other modes of transport. Here’s an example of where we are not meeting our own commitments.

Regards

Andrew

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Cycle in the middle of the lane and they wont attempt to pass. It only takes 30 seconds or so to cross the bridge itself and if there's heavy traffic, no one is going to even try to overtake.

I know how to cycle defensively but it's not the be all and end all. If you're seen to already breaking the law then a driver may have no qualms about also breaking a law and moving into the oncoming lane to overtake if they think they see a gap into coming traffic. They misjudge it and you're the one under the car. Dismount and walk and you're far safer. Common sense and self preservation.

M

Anyone know was the "requested" to dismount only changed to "required" after the bridge went in to public ownership?

I know how to cycle defensively but it's not the be all and end all. If you're seen to already breaking the law then a driver may have no qualms about also breaking a law and moving into the oncoming lane to overtake if they think they see a gap into coming traffic. They misjudge it and you're the one under the car. Dismount and walk and you're far safer. Common sense and self preservation.

You really have great empathy for psychopaths.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Anyone know was the "requested" to dismount only changed to "required" after the bridge went in to public ownership?
    I was wondering about that myself.

Also, did I dream this or is there a bit of a cycle lane/track to the left of the left side barrier at the toll plaza (going southbound)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Defensive cycling is all very well, but drivers can do stupid things – even drivers working for the State and wielding enormous vehicles. I was cycling in the centre of the right-turn lane beyond Rathmines garda station yesterday when there was a whoosh to my left as a No 18 bus passed me on the left on the way to take the right-hand fork I was heading for.
    The driver couldn't wait the five seconds for me to reach safety at Grosvenor Road before passing me out correctly on the right.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

It's only against the law to drive a pedal cycle past the sign. After the sign, it's perfectly legal to cycle again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

I was wondering about that myself.

Also, did I dream this or is there a bit of a cycle lane/track to the left of the left side barrier at the toll plaza (going southbound)?

There is a small bit of small white line to the left of both toll gates for cycles.

to call it a cycle lane/track would be misleading but I think its there to guide you to the left.

But you could be struck by Lightening before any of that happens anyway!

Yes I suppose that COULD happen, but IMO the chances are pretty low.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

I've only cycled that route a few times, but I believe you're correct there. Not sure though.

• Advertisement
    M

As the road is currently setup if someone wants to go south to north when they see the sign to go on to the footpath they have to stop at the side of the road and dismount, there's no ramp on the footpath, surely this is really dangerous as cars/trucks could rear end the bikes as the road narrows here? A public liability wet dream setup for some people.

tomasrojo wrote: »
    You really have great empathy for psychopaths.

Do I really? Or are you just resorting to the old 'you may as well think xyz too' argument if you don't agree with someone.

What I do have is a bit of cop on if I'm cycling (and driving). Road users will take liberties and risks and I do what u can to keep myself out of harms way and avoid accidents.

Do I really? Or are you just resorting to the old 'you may as well think xyz too' argument if you don't agree with someone.

What I do have is a bit of cop on if I'm cycling (and driving). Road users will take liberties and risks and I do what u can to keep myself out of harms way and avoid accidents.

Four times you've expressed how understandable it is that a motorist will take risks around a cyclist's safety. Well done. I didn't think this objectionable point of view could be said so many ways, but you did it.

rushfan wrote: »
    I've only cycled that route a few times, but I believe you're correct there. Not sure though.

https://goo.gl/maps/7nR3Hm1redw

It's interesting that the psychopathic driver you're describing here is merely "angry", while the cyclist who is just using a road that is completely unremarkable and rather like the roads he or she used to get to the bridge is "militant".

Maybe poorly worded, the angry driver sees the cyclist as militant. I was putting things in the perspective of the angry cyclist hating driver. Unreasonable as that perspective may be, there are a lot of angry drivers who hate cyclists.

Maybe poorly worded, the angry driver sees the cyclist as militant. I was putting things in the perspective of the angry cyclist hating driver. Unreasonable as that perspective may be, there are a lot of angry drivers who hate cyclists.

Yes, as I said, you've really got into the mindscape of an "angry" driver. Funny that.

EDIT: Actually, I'm being unfair now. I'm just not very happy about your repeated insistence on "hey, it's your funeral" posts.

Four times you've expressed how understandable it is that a motorist will take risks around a cyclist's safety. Well done. I didn't think this objectionable point of view could be said so many ways, but you did it.

Understandable yes, but I'm not saying it's acceptable.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭jimd2

Seaswimmer wrote: »
    Reply from Andrew Montague who also copied in Owen Keegan.

That’s really frustrating. Cyclists should NOT be restricted from using one of the key north-south bridges in the city. All our traffic plans say that walking, cycling and public transport will take priority over other modes of transport. Here’s an example of where we are not meeting our own commitments.

Regards

Andrew

So you ignore the point about quoting the official's name (and add more here) but conveniently take out your own name from the postings.

Do you not see something wrong with this?

Andrew Montague posts under his own name here. Everyone knows who Owen Keegan is.

I'm not sure what the rule applying to your original complaint is. I agree that that official isn't a public figure. Montague and Keegan are.

• Advertisement

Yes, as I said, you've really got into the mindscape of an "angry" driver. Funny that.

EDIT: Actually, I'm being unfair now. I'm just not very happy about your repeated insistence on "hey, it's your funeral" posts.

I'm just as insistent that it's my funeral when I'm on the bike. Hence my caution / fear of aggressive or inattentive drivers.

Advertisement