Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling across the Eastlink

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭robertpatterson

Ive seen bikes on the footpath forcing pedestrians onto the road regardless of any signage either asking the cyclists to dismount ,its only a couple of hundred yards long as a cyclist I dismount and walk across cos I value my life and dont think id win a fight with a hgv but thats just me

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

I don't see a strava segment for this bridge. If we create on i'm sure it could be crossed in about 15 seconds. Sure cars would have to break the speed limit to catch us :)

https://www.strava.com/segments/13016767
    https://www.strava.com/segments/13016775

Ask and you shall receive ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

Koobcam wrote: »
    Yes of course they could, but many won't, so just for the sake of avoiding the ire of an angry motorist (or more importantly someone driving a large HGV bicycle-exterminating truck), it might be just a bit more sensible to take another bridge. Or just don't give them room to pass, but that depends on how confident you are doing that in traffic.

Its not my responsibility to avoid the ire of an angry motorist. Its every road user's responsibility to conduct themselves safely and with courtesy.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,592 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

P_1 wrote: »
    73kph on the flat? i can't even reach that on a long downhill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭traprunner

Does look a bit narrow in fairness. Plenty of other bridges to cycle across the Liffey surely? The one that looks like a harp (James Joyce?), is grand and not too far from there.

So you want cyclists to go over 3.5 times the distance if they are at the 3Arena heading to Ringsend? That's 2.6km compared to 700m. Surely that would mean you'd be stuck behind exhausted cyclists at times due to them having to go the long way around when it suits motorists. Why would you want that to save yourself about 5 seconds? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

Does look a bit narrow in fairness. Plenty of other bridges to cycle across the Liffey surely? The one that looks like a harp (James Joyce?), is grand and not too far from there.

Samuel Beckett Bridge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Could you do us a favour? Go on to Google Maps and set it to cycling, and work out a route from south to north and from north to south diverting across the Sam Beckett, and tell us how much it will put on our journey?

Chuchote wrote: »
    Could you do us a favour? Go on to Google Maps and set it to cycling, and work out a route from south to north and from north to south diverting across the Sam Beckett, and tell us how much it will put on our journey?

Only about 3km or so. Still be a PITA though

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

P_1 wrote: »
    15 seconds appears to be my fastest time (Oct 2012). Must try harder!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

beauf wrote: »
    I think its more that an inexperienced cyclist will stay left and try squeeze up the inside of a HGV on a narrow bridge.

That's an education issue not a road traffic issue.

• Advertisement

Orion wrote: »

Yup. For a start, cyclists and heavy goods vehicles don't mix. And if HGVs are going to be on roads where there are cyclists and pedestrians (which they inevitably are at some point in their life), they should have a huge notice on the back: "DON'T PASS ME ON THE INSIDE".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Those pavements are too narrow to support a bike system and how do they handle the roundabout?

The wind is bad there too! Someone will get kill there, either a walker or cyclist or runner

Anyone know how many cyclists or pedestrians or runners have been killed in the EL since it was opened?

I wish the Gardaí would be more proactive in policing vehicular traffic on the quays and everywhere else for that matter. Simple but very dangerous things like exceeding the speed limit indicated by the road traffic signage, driving in marked cycle lane, changing lanes without signalling, passing a red light when lit, driving while holding a mobile phone, driving with headphones etc.

That's where any meaningful road safety enforcement on the quays or anywhere should start from!

Cyclists don't pay the toll to use the road bridge like other vehicles

Eureka!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Kaisr Sose wrote: »
    Eureka!

Well don't pay road tax either ... ;)

Chuchote wrote: »
    Defensive cycling is all very well, but drivers can do stupid things – even drivers working for the State and wielding enormous vehicles. I was cycling in the centre of the right-turn lane beyond Rathmines garda station yesterday when there was a whoosh to my left as a No 18 bus passed me on the left on the way to take the right-hand fork I was heading for.
    The driver couldn't wait the five seconds for me to reach safety at Grosvenor Road before passing me out correctly on the right.

All instances like that should be reported.

Maybe poorly worded, the angry driver sees the cyclist as militant. I was putting things in the perspective of the angry cyclist hating driver. Unreasonable as that perspective may be, there are a lot of angry drivers who hate cyclists.

There will never be justification for a driver getting 'angry' because a cyclist is ahead of them. Would the same 'angry driver' shunt a tractor or learner driver into the ditch? I think not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Orion wrote: »

Hence why I called then inexperienced. Staying centre lane IMO removes a lot risk, conflict, and makes cycling the bridge much easier. Ditto the roundabout.

But how many using a Dublin bike from the stand near the bridge are going to know that.

There's a good few cyclists from the cruise ships I've noticed. They must be amused at the join the dots cycle lanes up to the IFSC and on the quays.

Hence why I called then inexperienced. Staying centre lane IMO removes a lot risk, conflict, and makes cycling the bridge much easier. Ditto the roundabout.

But how many using a Dublin bike from the stand near the bridge are going to know that.

It's true. It would be good for the Council to hire Rothar and others to run municipal cycling classes during street festivals like St Patrick's Day.

There's a good few cyclists from the cruise ships ...
    Ho do they get out of the port area? Anytime I've tried to cycle around there I've been 'ran' by the Harbour Police.

• Advertisement

laotg wrote: »
    The "no cycling" rule is merely there for health and safety. Very unlikely to happen but the gap where the bridge opens and closes is big enough for a bicycle wheel, granted you'd have to be cycling width ways on the bridge to get stuck in the gap but if the signage wasn't there and the unlikely happened there'd be someone asking why cycling is allowed on the bridge.
    If you really believe that, ask yourself why similar signs aren't erected in those places where Luas lines are shared with streets and there is a much greater chance of cyclists slipping into the ruts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭traprunner

I'd actually hazard a guess that the original sign was put up by the previous private operators of the bridge in order to get as much traffic across to pay the toll as possible. Probably afraid one car every 6 months would head down the quays instead because of the 15 second delay crossing the bridge.

laotg wrote: »
    The "no cycling" rule is merely there for health and safety. Very unlikely to happen but the gap where the bridge opens and closes is big enough for a bicycle wheel, granted you'd have to be cycling width ways on the bridge to get stuck in the gap but if the signage wasn't there and the unlikely happened there'd be someone asking why cycling is allowed on the bridge.

That's nonsense! Things that are likely to happen and things that are unlikely to happen...known knowns and all that. In all the years that bridge is there - how many times has that happened? There are bigger potholes on some roads. How will they manage the more likely incidents with LUAS Cross Town tracks - trip hazards for Pedestrians ? What about roads wth drain covers - should cycling be banned on them ?

Ho do they get out of the port area? Anytime I've tried to cycle around there I've been 'ran' by the Harbour Police.

Look like a tourist maybe. Dunno just seen them around. I was thinking of cycling up the end of port where you can see the sea. Are you not allowed? I've not seen any signs to that effect.

Look like a tourist maybe. Dunno just seen them around. I was thinking of cycling up the end of port where you can see the sea. Are you not allowed? I've not seen any signs to that effect.
    I didn't notice any signs either but I presume its private property. I was turned away at the bottom of Alexander Road and Tolka Quay Road. Come to think of it, on these occasions I had taken a few photographs of which they asked me to delete from my phone. I've been in other times and not been asked to leave but you do get the feeling that you're being 'watched'.

I didn't notice any signs either but I presume its private property. I was turned away at the bottom of Alexander Road and Tolka Quay Road. Come to think of it, on these occasions I had taken a few photographs of which they asked me to delete from my phone. I've been in other times and not been asked to leave but you do get the feeling that you're being 'watched'.

Unusual, I've never had any hassle cycling through the port. Then again, the only times I've gone so was when I was getting on or off a ferry.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭The Ging and I

Wishbone its Covered in cameras - and you are one suspicious looking dude.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭NUTLEY BOY

Cycled over East Link Saturday and Sunday.

The "safety" notices are gone.

There appears to be a pair of electronic notice boards in place - one on the North side of the bridge and one on the South side. Neither was illuminated at the weekend or this morning around 10:30.

I presume that the electronic signs will be used to convey a mandatory prohibition notice on cycling as and when it suits ?

On the North side the sign is located on the left / near side and faces traffic as it comes off the roundabout so nobody should miss it.

On the South side the sign is also located on the left / near side as traffic coming from the toll booth reaches the right hand bend on to the bridge. There is a potential problem if this sign is intended for cyclists. A lot of cyclists crossing from the South come from the Ringsend / Thorncastle Street side of the bridge and will not see the sign as they will be passing directly behind it :rolleyes:.

Is East Link private property or a public place within the meaning of the Road Traffic Acts ?

If it is a private place then the operators can pretty much impose mandatory controls. It would be like to UCD Belfield where sections of the internal roads are closed off at certain times of day as they are private and UCD are actually exerting control over the roads. [For practical purposes this was probably to stop rat-running traffic and to avoid the roads becoming available as of implied right]

If it is a public place within the Road Traffic Acts a mandatory notice prohibiting cycling will be valid and breach of that would be a traffic offence.

If East Link is a private road what sanctions - if any - can be imposed on a cyclist who breaches their no cycling sign ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

NUTLEY BOY wrote: »
    I presume that the electronic signs will be used to convey a mandatory prohibition notice on cycling as and when it suits ?

are those electronic signs not to warn of the bridge being about to open / lift?

from what seaswimmer previously said, new signs are being sourced with language yet to be decided.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭NUTLEY BOY

are those electronic signs not to warn of the bridge being about to open / lift? SNIP .

I don't think so. There are sets of red flashing lights accompanied by a siren to stop road traffic just before the traffic barriers are lowered.

However, as it is something new you might actually be right !

Advertisement