Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling across the Eastlink

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

NUTLEY BOY wrote: »
    I don't think so. There are sets of red flashing lights accompanied by a siren to stop road traffic just before the traffic barriers are lowered.

However, as it is something new you might actually be right !

these signs??

https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.3448206,-6.2272876,3a,75y,294.78h,82.4t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sb5i6zNAjL18fRWSehKz4Aw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

I don't think so. There are sets of red flashing lights accompanied by a siren to stop road traffic just before the traffic barriers are lowered.

However, as it is something new you might actually be right !

These are installed by Strava, advising cyclists what the current KOM/QOM time across the bridge is, allowing the approaching cyclist to know what he/she needs to do to beat it and claim the prize

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭NUTLEY BOY

bazermc wrote: »
    These are installed by Strava, advising cyclists what the current KOM/QOM time across the bridge is, allowing the approaching cyclist to know what he/she needs to do to beat it and claim the prize

My apologies, but I don't understand this :)

It sounds like I am going to be in a video game when I go over the bridge !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭traprunner

My apologies, but I don't understand this :)

It sounds like I am going to be in a video game when I go over the bridge !

It'll be like the paper boy obstacle course. You've to get across the bridge as fast as possible while dodging vehicles, dogs and random pedestrians that stop on the road for no reason to take photos. Oh and don't forget about the seriously perilous cross winds.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

traprunner wrote: »
    ...random pedestrians that stop on the road for no reason to take photos. ...

Lots of reasons to take photos there. Ships, the river, its a bridge etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,195 ✭✭✭PaulieC

traprunner wrote: »
    and random pedestrians that stop on the road for no reason to take photos.

surely taking photos is the reason to stop randomly, no ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭traprunner

PaulieC wrote: »
    surely taking photos is the reason to stop randomly, no ?

Ah, you are spoiling the game :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

I'm just catching up with events in this thread but can someone confirm to me the sequence of events?

As I understand it, early last week Seaswimmer spotted someone being ordered off their bike on the East Link Bridge.

Seaswimmer sent a mail to the council who replied saying the signage was legal and bikes are now not allowed on the bridge.

This was followed up with a mail to the local councillors who have got the signs removed entirely and bikes are back on the bridge.

All in the space of a week? During the holidays?

I'm impressed!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

check_six wrote: »
    I'm just catching up with events in this thread but can someone confirm to me the sequence of events?

As I understand it, early last week Seaswimmer spotted someone being ordered off their bike on the East Link Bridge.

Seaswimmer sent a mail to the council who replied saying the signage was legal and bikes are now not allowed on the bridge.

This was followed up with a mail to the local councillors who have got the signs removed entirely and bikes are back on the bridge.

All in the space of a week? During the holidays?

I'm impressed!

not quite. It was about 18 months ago when I witnessed the guard ordering the cyclist to dismount. It then took over a year to get a council engineer to generate a report on the signs which he said were legal.

but shortly after his report the wording on the signs changed from "requested to dismount" to "required to dismount" and once this was pointed out the council did react fairly quickly to remove the signs. Probably due to some influence from Owen Keegan and Andrew Montague.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

Seaswimmer wrote: »
    not quite. It was about 18 months ago when I witnessed the guard ordering the cyclist to dismount. It then took over a year to get a council engineer to generate a report on the signs which he said were legal.

but shortly after his report the wording on the signs changed from "requested to dismount" to "required to dismount" and once this was pointed out the council did react fairly quickly to remove the signs. Probably due to some influence from Owen Keegan and Andrew Montague.

Still though, you've got a terrific result in a reasonable timeframe.

Please don't use your powers for evil!

*stockpiles kryptonite arrowheads just in case*

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Leinster D

I am a cyclist and came across this sign recently coming from the ringsend village entrance /pathway that merges with the east link. Is this recent as only noticed it now? Also are cyclists required to dismount or is it more of a suggestion? A little confused.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

I think you're supposed to shout "Oh no they don't!!" panto-style and carry on...

Advertisement