Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Skoda Octavia or Passat

• 22-08-2016 1:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭

Hi, Hoping to go to the UK in the next week to buy a 2013 2L TDI.

Would be looking for a car with under 40K miles. Looking on Auotrader theya re priced between £10 and £11K.

Which is the better car and what questions/problems should i be looking for?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭GavMan

They're not really in the same class for a start. Passat is a class above the Octavia and a good one will feel that bit more refined than Skoda in terms of material quality, look and feel. Not to mention standard equipment.

Mechanically, there'll be little to choose between them. As they are used, this will vary from car to car

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭Kauto

GavMan wrote: »
    They're not really in the same class for a start. Passat is a class above the Octavia and a good one will feel that bit more refined than Skoda in terms of material quality, look and feel. Not to mention standard equipment.

Mechanically, there'll be little to choose between them. As they are used, this will vary from car to car

Looking at something like this.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201608166830848?search-target=usedcars&make=volkswagen&model=passat&year-from=2013&maximum-mileage=up_to_40000_miles&fuel-type=diesel&minimum-badge-engine-size=2.0&transmission=manual&radius=1501&page=1&sort=default&searchcontext=default&postcode=bs981ah&onesearchad=new%2Cnearlynew%2Cused&body-type=saloon&logcode=p&adPos=5

Any thoughts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

Kauto wrote: »

If I was buying a Passat from the UK, and I have been looking, that would be the one. Good engine and good spec. My only concern would be remedial works by VW post diesel gate, and what implication any would have for performance and mpg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Passat all day.... it's a class above the Octavia which is a big-booted golf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭GavMan

That passat looks very nice. I think you'll be pretty safe with Cargiant. Haven't heard of too many lemons sold by them

• Advertisement

Hi,

I have narrowed it down to 2 cars. Both Highlines, same milage but one is £800 cheaper than the other.

The higher priced car is from a VW dealer and comes with a VW 1 year warranty. 'Das Auto Welt' or something to that effect. Will this warranty be honored in Ireland?

The lower priced is not from a VW dealer.

Would it be necessary to get an RAC check completed if i was to go with the higher priced car? I would get the RAC check done if i got the lower priced as it is not from a VW dealer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

I'd go the VW dealer every time. It will come with a lot of peace of mind, FSH, not clocked, not flooded, etc.. Pretty sure that warranty will be honoured here, if in doubt contact VW customer service here.

vwcustomer.service@volkswagen.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

You need to check with VW Ireland if the UK VW dealer warranty is valid here. VW UK and VW Ireland are different companies and generally cover each other's warranties from my experience. If they don't then you need to be prepared to drive to a VW in the North if you want warranty work done.

One of the two i was looking at was sold yesterday.

The car with the main dealer is still available. The warranty does not carry over to Ireland(Have had this confirmed by VW and the dealer) but it does apply in the North.

It is a former lease car, with two owners(both small lease companies) It was serviced in 2014 and by the dealer in 2016 but no service in 2015. Would this be a worry? £30K miles on the clock.

I have gotten a report on the car but not a RAC inspection. Can anyone advise me on the above?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭GustavoFring

Long life servicing. Nothing to really worry about tbh. It's normal over there and here for fleets.

• Advertisement

Long life servicing. Nothing to really worry about tbh. It's normal over there and here for fleets.

Thanks.
    With it being a Main dealer and the Warranty attached, would it be necessary to get the RAC inspection?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭GustavoFring

It's up to you. If it was me I probably wouldn't, but as you're taking the car away it might be useful to have it checked over and any faults (if any) rectified before you take it so that you're saved a trip up north.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭The Guvnor

It was all said above.

The superb would be the Skoda Passat equivalent.

How did you get on in the end - did you get the one you wanted?

The Guvnor wrote: »
    It was all said above.

The superb would be the Skoda Passat equivalent.

How did you get on in the end - did you get the one you wanted?

Yes ended up with the one i wanted. Very little milage and a nice drive.

Very happy with it. Just waiting for appointment for the VRT next week. Hopefully there will be no surprises.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭The Guvnor

Kauto wrote: »
    Yes ended up with the one i wanted. Very little milage and a nice drive.

Very happy with it. Just waiting for appointment for the VRT next week. Hopefully there will be no surprises.

They're shouldn't be.
    I've found in the past the VRT calculator online to be accurate.:)

Advertisement