Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

August 21st, 2017 eclipse in the US

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭ps200306

The weather forecast is not looking too hot for east of the Mississippi right now. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭markfinn

ps200306 wrote: »
    The weather forecast is not looking too hot for east of the Mississippi right now. :(

Plans are in place to do some dramatic cross-country driving in the early hours of the morning (approx midnight to 6am US time, being 6am to midday Irish time which I'll still be on) each morning from Thursday to Monday if the forecast doesn't improve by then.

I could end up near Caspar yet...

I'm going to go driving anyway in the days beforehand, planning to visit as far west as Dallas. Unfortunately I have to be back in Atlanta on the evening of eclipse day for a flight out the following morning. So I can't realistically view the eclipse from further west than Chester, IL on the Mississippi. And everything east of there is currently showing at least partly cloudy if not scattered thunderstorms.

EDIT: I tell a lie. Everywhere from the Missisippi to Nashville is now showing "mostly sunny". :)
    Probably just shows how unreliable the forecast is as of now. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭dm09

I just booked return flights to Chicago, originally planned to go to south Idaho and had hotels booked but cancelled last week.
    It was gutting me thinking of missing it so took a mad notion tonight and booked 3 nights 19th - 22nd. I'm going to aim for Carbondale Il which is forecast to have the longest totality.
    If anyone is in the area let me know!

Edit: I've nothing booked except flights so it will be an adventure, gonna take the tent along :D

I'm keeping Carbondale on my list of possibles. If I fancy the look of it I will probably be coming from the southwest taking in a trip in the Ozarks. Might view from a bit west of Carbondale, on the edge of Mark Twain National Forest. To me the biggest unknown is what sort of traffic volumes will be on the Interstates before and after. Carbondale has had a lot of mentions in the media, so could be a gazillion cars descending on it. (And I still have to get back to Atlanta that night).

EDIT: Here's another list of possible sites in southern Illinois. The wetlands centre mentioned at top has first-come-first-served parking from 9am, which appeals to my preference for making a last minute decision. You can see it on the eclipse map if you type its address in the search box: 8885 State Route 37 South, Cypress, Illinois 62923. It's got a good two and a half minutes of totality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭jfSDAS

Ben Emmett, who co-hosts the Astronomy Show on Dublin City FM is going to the general area of Carbondale. Drop him a line via the show's website https://www.dublincityfm.ie/programmes/special-interest/astronomy-show to see if he has any additional info.

Serious fog virtually all day in SF since I got here. I'd be worried if hoping to glimpse the eclipse from by the coast in Oregon as the foggy trend could be the same there. Just wildfires, masses of humanity, and the general ApocEclipse to contend with in Madras 😄

Did you get that mail with the info Mark? It wasn't a huge amount of detail but hopefully will be of help until you pick up Fred's book Stateside.

John

jfSDAS wrote: »
    Did you get that mail with the info Mark? It wasn't a huge amount of detail but hopefully will be of help until you pick up Fred's book Stateside.

John

I did. Very much appreciated!

For anyone that doesn't follow it, do check out today's XKCD.
    He's not always funny, but he definitely knows how to read trends and statistics...

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭SonOfPerdition

Are there any recommendations for must have apps for the eclipse trip?

I'm downloading offline google maps for Idaho and Wyoming to have a backup to my Garmin sat nav, I use accuweather for weather, is there any specific eclipse app that would be useful?

what are you using?

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭jfSDAS

Hi Mark,

The www.greatamericaneclipse.com site is daily updating a cloud cover prediction map for August 21st. However, the trend flip-flopped between the charts posted on the 14th and 15th. Places clear were next day predicted to be cloudy. It really looks like 3-days out and closer to the 21st will be when the trend is more obvious.

I'm now seriously thinking of plan B (Salem) due to the the numbers that are expected in Madras - it's more the time on the road there and back. Sadly, a friend in Dublin has had to cancel his trip due to his father passing away. We would have been going to Madras together.

John

• Advertisement

I'm keeping an eye on that WaPo site too. Doesn't look too bad to me, but too early to be either optimistic or pessimistic yet. Just arrived in Atlanta. It is HOT!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,748 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Arrived in Idaho Falls this evening (Wednesday) beautiful clear skies.
    Heading to Yellowstone National Park tomorrow (Thursday).
    Not sure if I will be seeing the eclipse in Idaho or Wyoming yet,it depends on the weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭SonOfPerdition

RobertKK wrote: »
    Not sure if I will be seeing the eclipse in Idaho or Wyoming yet,it depends on the weather.

Any traffic issues? I've switched from Idaho falls to mid Idaho, mainly because i managed to get the same hotel for three nights and it will reduce the amount of driving i will do by a significant factor coming from Boise airport. The warnings I read online about traffic gave me sleepless nights this week.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Seems like the latest forecast for Oregon is promising.

On TV this morning the Weather Channel claimed there were already 30 mile eclipse tailbacks in central Oregon. I think it might have been slightly sensational, but it has made me rethink my plan to circle around from the south and pounce at the last minute on eclipse morning. Traffic might be at a standstill which makes me more inclined to be in the eclipse zone from the night before. Also eastern Tennessee is looking promising again, while southern Illinois is close to a possible cloudy zone. So now my only problem is I've already gotten myself to New Orleans. 😅

I have hauled myself back to Knoxville, TN, so whatever happens now I'm already on the edge of the zone of totality. There were ominous signs on the Interstate on the way up saying "No parking on shoulder during solar eclipse". I reckon they are expecting total travel chaos.

Over on cloudynights they're saying the latest forecast is 'ugly' with only Oregon and Idaho lookng good.

On the weather channel they are also showing Tennessee from Nashville to the Smoky Mountains as good ... which happens to be where I am :)

Not so good for Carbondale and the mid west in general, nor for east of the Appalachians. I am keeping my fingers crossed that I have fluked a good choice of spot.

They are also still reporting that Oregon is turning into a "car-pocalypse"!

I'm still keeping the small town of Niota, TN in my sights rather than any of the bigger towns hosting eclipse festivals. It's only a mile from the Interstate and 50 miles from where I am now. I'll get on the road at sunrise and, just as importantly leave within 20 mins of the end of totality to drive directly toward the edge of the zone of totality. Though I expect the road to be choked anyway with people who never made it to their destination.

Well thanks for keeping us posted ps, hope you get lucky and dodge the clouds. Over here it's generally not looking good for the partial (or should I say sliver) eclipse, eastern areas have the best chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Well thanks for keeping us posted ps, hope you get lucky and dodge the clouds. Over here it's generally not looking good for the partial (or should I say sliver) eclipse, eastern areas have the best chance.

What time is it visible here?

• Advertisement

It begins at 19.38 in Dublin and ends at 20.26, by which time the Sun is only 1° above the horizon.

Last weather update before bedtime has an improved forecast for the eastern US. Should be good for anyone in Nashville. I've made a final decision for Niota, TN.

Best of luck to anyone way out west. Hope you have managed to avoid carmageddon. I am risking everything not leaving Knoxville until 7am in order to not miss breakfast. :)

I was also in a local church where the pastor said the Sunday congregations were like at Easter. So there is gonna be a mad scramble here too.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,748 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

RobertKK wrote: »

Any traffic issues? I've switched from Idaho falls to mid Idaho, mainly because i managed to get the same hotel for three nights and it will reduce the amount of driving i will do by a significant factor coming from Boise airport. The warnings I read online about traffic gave me sleepless nights this week.

None when in Idaho Falls but that was last Wednesday/Thursday.
    Today (Sunday) our tour director said he never saw traffic as bad in the Grand Tetons/Jackson Hole area.
    I am hearing a lot of people picked Oregon.
    I am staying in the Jackson Hole area and the eclipse is outside my door, it was decided that for an extra 20 seconds it was not worth it as traffic is expected to be crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Anyway, to those people lucky enough to be in the parts in the USA where this is visible - enjoy and good luck ! :)

Now, to the rest of us, Astronomy.com will be streaming in 4K from Colorado, but Im wondering about the start in Oregon ... anyone know of other good live streams ?

jfSDAS wrote: »
    I'm now seriously thinking of plan B (Salem) due to the the numbers that are expected in Madras - it's more the time on the road there and back. Sadly, a friend in Dublin has had to cancel his trip due to his father passing away. We would have been going to Madras together.

John
    Apparently you were on Sky news just now John :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭Zerbini Blewitt

Apparently you were on Sky news just now John :)

Was that John??? On Sky news with the one and only Kay Burley and about an hour before that he was on Fox news :D

The networks were all in Madras!

Fair play :) The eclipse looked great even on TV. One cameraman swept the ground and quickly zoomed in on the totality. That shot really captured the alien, mystical nature of the eclipse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

There was a bunch of folks on CNN earlier from Cork with red hats on, think the Anchorman refereed to them as being from Cork Astrology dept/association group before being corrected. I'm a Libra.

Some screen-grabs from NASA's live Youtube channel. Hopkinsville, Kentucky.

425839.png
    425840.png
    425841.png
    425842.png
    425843.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭murrayp4

Just got clouded out 4 mins before totality in Nashville. Ugh.

Advertisement