Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New build - Tender & Quote fees

Options
  • 22-08-2016 2:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭

Hello,
    my architect has done the tender package for me and submitted it to a few builders in order to get a few quotes. I've made my choice now but one of the builder is saying that he had to pay a QS to do the quote and he is now asking me to pay the QS fees since I didn't go with him ... is it normal practice and how much a QS normally charge for a quote when he is given a tender package?
    Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭delfagio

Monfreid wrote:
    Hello, my architect has done the tender package for me and submitted it to a few builders in order to get a few quotes. I've made my choice now but one of the builder is saying that he had to pay a QS to do the quote and he is now asking me to pay the QS fees since I didn't go with him ... is it normal practice and how much a QS normally charge for a quote when he is given a tender package? Thank you

No this is the contractors cost, it's up to him on how he prices a job, be it price it himself or paying a QS to do it.

That's his cost to bear not yours

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Trying it on in my opinion! Never heard of this before.

Is the builder asking you (directly) to pay even though architect sent out tenders?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Bonzo Delaney

Chancing their arm big time . Oh if only I got paid for all the jobs I priced up ... I'd never have to do any work at all.
    In reality if he/she was looking for payment for tender it should of been agreed beforehand. It's their loss for not clarifying this before a QS was engaged.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Monfreid wrote: »
    Hello,
    my architect has done the tender package for me and submitted it to a few builders in order to get a few quotes. I've made my choice now but one of the builder is saying that he had to pay a QS to do the quote and he is now asking me to pay the QS fees since I didn't go with him ... is it normal practice and how much a QS normally charge for a quote when he is given a tender package?
    Thank you

Is there anything else we should know here?

Who spoke to the builder during the process? What was said to the builder?

What does the tender documents say about payment?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭Tefral

BryanF wrote: »

What does the tender documents say about payment?

This is a major one. The documents usually and should say along the lines of: "The client/Architect does not bind themselves to the lowest Tender. All costs associated with Tendering the project will be borne by the Tenderers"

• Advertisement
Advertisement