Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what would you do?

Options
  • 22-08-2016 2:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

Hi guys,
    I am due back to work on Thursday like the majority i have been there for the past 2 years.However, I have an interview tomorrow in a school much closer to home, it would half my commute.. It is also a much nicer school. If I got it I honestly wouldn't know what to do. Imagine being offered it and ringing work and saying i won't be in Thursday.
    Any thoughts or advice?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Go to the interview. If you get it, take the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bpmurray

What's there to think about? If I got an offer of a job closer to home with the same conditions, I'd jump at it, even after spending more than 10 times the time there that you have in your current school. For your employer this is a business decision and not a personal one - why would you even think about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭jimmers23

I would just feel so guilty but I have to do what is right for me and my family. Thanks guys just wanted to see what fellow teachers would do.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

To be realistic, if you get the job, I can guarantee in five or so years time your current colleagues will struggle to remember your name.
    It's harsh, but that's the way it is now. Don't feel guilty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

If you have already signed a contract you might have to work the notice period. Most schools don't seem to enforce it but I know a couple who have had to. But I would still take the job if you get it - these opportunities don't come up very often. Best of luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

If you're offered it, have the manners to say that you need to consult your current principal. 'Consult' may mean handing in your notice. Is your current principal a referee?

Presumably, the same thing has happened in the interviewing school - the teacher there has just got another offer and let his/her school know they are leaving. Happens all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Exiled1

Go for it!! You are entitled to improve your job conditions. Every school can deal with the fall out from a teacher suddenly leaving his/her position.
    If your Principal is your referee (and your current Principal should be) explain to him/her your position after you get the offer, leaving out the 'better school' opinion.
    Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭man_no_plan

Do whats best for you. It's a pain for the school for a week or two but they'll get over it. How long before you get this chance again?

You might be asked about your notice period in the interview. Know what it is! And yell them you'll have to talk to your current employer but officially its x weeks.

In one case, a couple of years ago, we had to enforcevit to allow time for recruitment in a shortage area. In other cases if a replacement can be taken from a panel etc. there might be no issue.

Advertisement