Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What coding language will be taught in schools?

Options
  • 22-08-2016 3:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭

Hi All,

If it goes ahead, I was just wondering does anyone have any idea what programming language will be taught in schools?

I taught some Scratch lessons in school but this is not a mainstream programming language.

I would like to teach myself the basics but am unsure where to get started/what language to concentrate on.

I have looked at online course on the Udemy and the Khan Academy website but there is so many courses/programmes out there.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭MarinersBlues

For coding specifically udacity.com is excellent.

Many of the foundation courses are freely available.
    I would look at python first and then Java of you want something a bit more substantial.
    I can't imagine secondary school going past python.
    https://www.udacity.com/course/programming-foundations-with-python--ud036

The nanodegrees are very well run and could be worth pursuing if you like the python course
    https://www.udacity.com/course/intro-to-programming-nanodegree--nd000

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭PaulieBoy

I'd go for Java as being the most likely with Python being another possibility.
    Plenty of stuff out there for Java, and Python, so easy to get going. Java is the language used for apps on Android so it's a very useful language to learn.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭heffsarmy

Check out cs50 course by Harvard in the US, course is free via edx.org. Its fast paced but rewarding, learn C programming

https://prod-edx-mktg-edit.edx.org/course/introduction-computer-science-harvardx-cs50x

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

FORTRAN all the way...

On a more serious note, Java has such immediate applications.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 jumblejohn

Hi Seaba,
    First off, I don't know what programming languages will be taught in schools. I am not even sure if it going to be prescribed to teachers what language they have to use. Looking at the syllabus for the junior cert short course in computer programming, the syllabus (rightly so in my opinion) concentrates more on programming constructs and not on any particular language.

If I was to teach programming to either primary or secondary school students I personally would use python. Lots of free resources out there for both teachers and students and coupled with something like a RaspberryPi (a cheap mini computer which is being used widely in UK schools as a programming teaching tool) the course is likely to be really enjoyable and accessible to all.

Regards,
    John

• Advertisement
Advertisement