Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fibre finally available - but speed offered?

Options
  • 22-08-2016 3:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

Fibre is finally available to me ... but I am only being offered 30mb down.

My neighbour who is 5 doors down on the same row of houses is being offered 60mb speeds?

Is there any reason for this? 
    I am less than 200 mitres from the cabinet

Thanks!
    Keith

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭eir: Ciara

keith_d99 wrote: »
    Hi there,

Fibre is finally available to me ... but I am only being offered 30mb down.

My neighbour who is 5 doors down on the same row of houses is being offered 60mb speeds?

Is there any reason for this? 
    I am less than 200 mitres from the cabinet

Thanks!
    Keith
    Hi Keith, 

Thank you for getting in touch :) 

I am happy to hear that eir Fibre is available in your area, however, I apologise to hear you are only able to get 30mb.

Unfortunately, we cannot guarantee speeds. All our speeds are sold, advertised and provided on the terms of "up to".

Even when a cabinet may seem close it's worth nothing that lines are not laid as the crow flies and may take different routes from the cabinet before it reaches your home. 

Kind Regards,
    Ciara

• Registered Users Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭keith_d99

Thanks for the reply Ciara!

The profile offered suggests I am over 1 km from the cabinet ... which seems very strange that the houses were built 7 years ago and at the same time. 
    Is there any way of telling from my line stats the actual distance from the cabinet? 
    I have checked my downstream attenuation and it correctly indicates that I am about 2km from the exchange. 

Could there be a chance that the line checker is incorrect? 

When the install happens will it be limited to the profile suggested by the line checker or how does it work? 

Thanks,
    Keith. 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭eir: Stacey

I'm afraid we wouldn't have this information from here however as Ciara advised above the lines can take different routes from the cabinet to your premises so if your line is testing for up to 30mb at the moment this would be the best speed supported on your line at this time. I'm very sorry we can't offer better news on this. - Stacey

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Profiles are limited to the Prequal result by OpenEir. In case of a dud reading the install could fix whatever is throwing the value presently (tested monthly) but as discussed on the normal forum it may well be valid. 

Advertisement