Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feeling Frazzled

Options
  • 22-08-2016 3:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭

Hi everyone,

I'm in a dilemma. I'm moving out of my home county to join my fiancé in another county. I got a job a 40-50 min drive every morning to that school (the awful M50 is included in that drive). It's a 22 hour contract covering career break. I was also asked to teach a subject I've never taught before we high has filled me with dread. Was happy with it though for the year as I intended next year to find somewhere closer to cut down on commuting costs and wear and tear of car.

Today, I've just been offered an 18 hour (my own hours) that's literally only 20 mins away from where we will be living. An in my subjects. It's a new school and very likely that the hours will go up next year as said by principal.

I'm on 2012 pay scale on point 2. I'm trying work out what my monthly salary with tax would be? I'm useless at maths. I was on a 22 hour contract last year. I've so much to consider here. Would it be a terrible drop financially wise? Or could I stick 18 hours for the year in a place I really want to live and teach in and not have a dreadful commute everyday.

If you were in my shoes - what would you do?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I would take my own hours in a new school.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

No-brainer. Take the new offer regardless of monthly salary.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Needles73

Hi everyone,

I'm in a dilemma. I'm moving out of my home county to join my fiancé in another county. I got a job a 40-50 min drive every morning to that school (the awful M50 is included in that drive). It's a 22 hour contract covering career break. I was also asked to teach a subject I've never taught before we high has filled me with dread. Was happy with it though for the year as I intended next year to find somewhere closer to cut down on commuting costs and wear and tear of car.

Today, I've just been offered an 18 hour (my own hours) that's literally only 20 mins away from where we will be living. An in my subjects. It's a new school and very likely that the hours will go up next year as said by principal.

I'm on 2012 pay scale on point 2. I'm trying work out what my monthly salary with tax would be? I'm useless at maths. I was on a 22 hour contract last year. I've so much to consider here. Would it be a terrible drop financially wise? Or could I stick 18 hours for the year in a place I really want to live and teach in and not have a dreadful commute everyday.

If you were in my shoes - what would you do?

Learn basic maths for a start

Youtube comments section is ---->>>> Needles73. If that's the type of website you're after.
    Member has been infracted. Try and be helpful next time.
    Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Starkystark

Needles73 wrote: »
    Learn basic maths for a start

Cheers! I'm able work it out. Just thought there was something that once you got 18 hours you got full time. But it's only CID

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Definitely take your own hours in the new school! That seems like a golden opportunity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

The new school no question
    You will be suprised how much of those extra 4 hours will have been spent on tax anyway
    You are halving your fuel costs
    You have your own hours
    Go for it
    Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

Cheers! I'm able work it out. Just thought there was something that once you got 18 hours you got full time. But it's only CID

Yes if those 18 hours turn into a CID you get paid for 22
    Forgot to say in earlier post you will probably also pick up a few hours subbing on top of the 18

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Starkystark

km79 wrote: »
    Yes if those 18 hours turn into a CID you get paid for 22
    Forgot to say in earlier post you will probably also pick up a few hours subbing on top of the 18

Thank you! I was thinking that - I'm coming from England where contracts, pay, etc are so much more straight forward. So a lot to get the head around.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭man_no_plan

Thank you! I was thinking that - I'm coming from England where contracts, pay, etc are so much more straight forward. So a lot to get the head around.

They are and they're not. Your own hours are the key here, the career break could leave you out on your ear next year or in 2,3,4,5 years.

Do your best in the new school and you'll he on full hours soon enough hopefully hut note importantly you'll have a right to a CID contract after 1 year if in an etb school. The situation in the vol. Secondary sector remains unclear but within 4 years with pupil growth etc you'll almost certainly gain a fill time CID unless there are major issues along the way.

Best of luck.

Advertisement