Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Vw loud ticking sound

Options
  • 22-08-2016 3:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Hi All,

Over the last few weeks I have noticed a loud ticking sound coming from my car's engine (07 Jetta TDI, approx. 190k kms). I never hear it when the car has just been started, it usually takes 20 minutes of driving in slow traffic or around town before I hear it. It sounds like the engine is ticking louder and definitely not my imagination as goes away when I switch off the engine and restart a few minutes later. I checked and engine oil level is fine. I can hear it when the car is stationary and in neutral. Also the car is harder to start lately not sure if its related but I sometimes have to turn the key and keep it turned before the car starts. Car is fine when I am driving at motorway speeds. Any ideas of possible causes? I'm thinking maybe a timing belt tensioner or alternator issue?

Any thoughts welcome.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭savagethegoat

get it on a diagnostic machine

• Registered Users Posts: 82,243 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Is anything extra turned on at the time like the air conitioning?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Do you ever find it hard to select gears? I'd be thinking dual mass flywheel.

Advertisement