Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to determine who is my electricity provider

Options
  • 22-08-2016 4:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭

I just got the keys for my new house. However, how do I determine who is my electricity provider? Their is a Pay as you go box in the house and it has just ran out.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Call the estate agent who sold you the house. They should either have the information, or contact the previous owner to find out for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭Letree

Call the ESB and tell them you want to identify who is your current provider as you moved house. They own the grid

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭amsbam1

Thanks, calling the ESB sounds easiest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭SarahMollie

There is a special number, i think its called NPRN or something that you need.

Try the ESB by all means but I think for data protection reasons they won't tell you. They wouldnt tell me when I tried it, but then I saw a letter from airtricity come through my letter box addressed to the previous owner so that gave me a big clue ;)

However if you have a pay as you go meter - does that not narrow down the suspects slightly?

OSI wrote: »
    Provide them with the MPRN. The previous supplier shouldn't really be your concern and you are not their customer.

Do you know where I can get the MPRN?

Good point, we should just be concerned with who provides the best price/service i guess. I just thought it would be easier to stick with the current provider and then in a few months time when I'm not so busy to look at who we should move to. Any recommendation on who gives the best price/service?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

amsbam1 wrote: »
    I just got the keys for my new house. However, how do I determine who is my electricity provider? Their is a Pay as you go box in the house and it has just ran out.

As far as I know pay as you go electricity usually works out much more expensive and its also quite inconvenient (what if the fridge is cut off for a few hours). So a regular bill is usually better.

As far as I know pay as you go electricity usually works out much more expensive

Yes, we intend to move to bill pay.

Advertisement