Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice wanted on moving apple trees

Options
  • 22-08-2016 5:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭

I am moving house and would like to bring 5 apple trees with me before next spring.
    They are planted about 5 years and are about 10 feet tall.
    I cut the roots on one side early this spring.
    What are the chances of moving them successfully?
    If I try it I presume they would have to be pruned back and I'd appreciate advice on this.
    Any other suggestions welcome

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,451 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Pruning shrubs when moving - mostly yes. Pruning an apple tree, not really. Its impossible to tell you how likely they are to survive. It will partly depend on how skilful you are at moving them, how well they are replanted, how well anchored they are to prevent wind rock, what the weather is like, and sheer good luck. 10ft is a good sized tree. Move them, hope for the best but expect to lose some.

As an aside, have you made very clear to the purchasers of your house that the trees will be gone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

It's not legal to take them unless it was stipulated at the time of sale.

Moving 10ft trees is a professional and expensive operation if done right.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭TGD

looksee wrote: »
    Pruning shrubs when moving - mostly yes. Pruning an apple tree, not really. Its impossible to tell you how likely they are to survive. It will partly depend on how skilful you are at moving them, how well they are replanted, how well anchored they are to prevent wind rock, what the weather is like, and sheer good luck. 10ft is a good sized tree. Move them, hope for the best but expect to lose some.

As an aside, have you made very clear to the purchasers of your house that the trees will be gone?

Yes, of course, the purchaser will know what I'm taking and what I'm leaving.
    Thanks for that advice. I'm knowledgeable enough on trans-planting, but the pruning was my main question. I thought that by pruning they would be less top-heavy and would put less stress on the root system to sustain the trees next spring and summer?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

TGD wrote: »
    Yes, of course, the purchaser will know what I'm taking and what I'm leaving.
    Thanks for that advice. I'm knowledgeable enough on trans-planting, but the pruning was my main question. I thought that by pruning they would be less top-heavy and would put less stress on the root system to sustain the trees next spring and summer?

They should be pruned regularly anyway, you need to aim for an "open goblet" effect, allowing air to circulate around the branches. remove any dead, diseased branches and whippy shoots

I moved a 5yr bramley from a large pot into the ground and it has survived, obviously you need to take as much of the root ball as possible

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/gardening/how-to-grow/how-to-prune-an-apple-tree-in-five-simple-steps/

th?id=OIP.Mee5e4ca641edc4ed3adda8da906610c7H0&pid=15.1&P=0&w=300&h=300

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Loads of advice out there on transplanting apple trees, but personally I'd tend to get newer younger tress from a nursery as the transplanted trees may not take, possibly won't fruit for years, and may always be weaker than a younger tree planted from fresh. If it's an unusual type of fruit that you're fond of, you could look to graft cuttings onto the stock of another tree. New trees also give you a options for fruit type and best root stock for your new place.

• Advertisement
Advertisement