Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newstalk Megathread 22/08/16 to date

1323334353638»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭MattressRick

Agreed. Ruins the paper review yet again. She cuts across someone else's contribution countless times, to add pretty much the same point as the other person was trying to say. It's headwrecking to listen to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,957 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Alternatively you could turn it on its head and say those vehemently against fox hunting are afraid of the natural animalistic aspect of nature.

Now I have no dog in the fight - pardon the pun - fox hunting does not really bother me either way.

But I do see both arguments. I heard the on air conversation.And I imagined the callers backgrounds. When I think of the very anti fox hunters I think - Dublin, Urban, possibly vegan.

When I think fox hunters, I think rural people into equestrianism, and are closer to the circle of life and death than the Urban dwellers.

They understand the need for animal population control. From the fox hunters perspective (I have/had) country relatives who partake or park took in it. They see as a social event, a day out, and practical. Their goal is not to ‘torture’ animals. Ironically, they really love animals. Many dogs, cats chicken, geese etc. When the old childhood pony finally died, and it was buried in a field

They have a real sense of nature that ‘a dub’ like myself does not have. You might find them feeding a sick lamb one week in the kitchen, and going to an an attbatoir another time. That is the dichotomy. The last time I was down there I was given a big goose's egg which was still warm from the goose.

My elderly father for instance has told stories of how they used to drown cats, when the litter was too big. They also had a shotgun which on occasion was used to shoot dogs/horses. Other things such as making a football out of pigs bladder, stuff like that were told to me- practical

On one occasion down in that farm, I saw one of the dogs following a little chick around the kitchen, and not even any threat to it, the dog was ‘minding it’ believe it or not. Regular occurance apparently.

Everything is practical in rural Ireland. Different world, close to nature. I remember when I saw a dead cow (from natural causes) with the arse literally falling out of it. I never saw the like as young 'Dub‘. There is more acceptance of life and death down the country..

Even when it comes to human death, down the country they have the wake and open casket in the house. Two dogs loyally under the open casket of my uncle a few years ago, in his hand was a copy of a horse racing program. Oh and the windows were left open to let his spirit out. But what was clear to me was animals were even key in the end of human life. And animals revolved around my uncle (who was the farmer) even in death as in life.

In rural Ireland there is a realistic practical closeness to life/nature/spiritually - that Dublin jackeens like myself never really ‘get’ or have lost. But to say fox hunters don't love animals and are out to 'torture' is a misunderstanding of the complexity of rural life.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 696 ✭✭✭TheBMG

you can cull an animal population without making a sport out of it. Making a sport out of it isn’t ’practical’, it’s sociopathic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Regina Doherty is on Newstalk so frequently that she's surely a squatter at this stage.

I need you need to look up the definition of sociopathic, because what I have just described on my previous post is not sociopathic, but of different lifestyles, backgrounds, and culture norms. Hyperbolic statements such as yours above do nothing to try and get others on your side. It just seems myopic.

Anyway, Moncrieff said something unintentionally funny today. However it was subtle.

The first discussion was people commenting on women being pregnant, Moncrieff wondered aloud if there was a male equivalent. 'What about people commenting on males 'massive big erections'? There was much hilarity, and very quickly he moved on to the next topic. New interviewee.

The interviewee was Dr Marie Treasa Ni C. The discussion was about women no longer having to wear white underwear at Wimbledon. Basically because of female menstruation. The interview finished, it was grand.

But Sean clumsily signed off on the topic with , 'That was Dr Maire Treasa Ni C., Dr. is one of the many strings to her massive bow' Moncrieff then said, 'I made a mess of that analogy, but you know what I mean'.

Now, having heard the two topics in quick succession. I think I knew what happened, his mind was still firmly stuck on 'massive erections' and then somehow he managed to move to the expression 'massive bow'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭hamburgham

They said opposition to fox hunting is as high in rural areas as it is in urban areas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,600 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

If we were to take their argument that they are simply culling excess population, why not strip the unnecessary playing dress-up, chasing and digging 'theatre' out of it? Simple answer is it wouldn't be as exciting for the participants.

If you are a landowner and not 'into it', you wouldn't take kindly to a bunch of strangers coming in uninvited trouncing your fences, frightening your stock and potentially carrying disease from farm to farm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,015 ✭✭✭leath_dub

Kieran Cuddihy interviewing Alison Spittle and Kerry Katona yesterday about their new podcast 😧

Who or what in Gods's name made the decisions that something like this was necessary???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭avfc1874

I thought it was a piss take, until I heard them talking, and I think it must be a piss take now.

Take one for the team and review it for us🤔

The mash-up podcast no-one asked for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,161 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Hi.

There was someone on Newstalk, about 2 weeks ago maybe, note sure which show, but maybe Moncrieff or The Hard Shoulder. I forget the exact topic but they talked about the importance of good communication, body language etc.

Anyone remember when this was & have a link to it please?

Ta,

Pa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,451 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

• Advertisement

Jess Kelly on the Hard Shoulder discussing the tech sector lay offs....... beginning to sound a bit worried

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

A phone geek becomes an expert on industrial relations!

her entire world, personal and professional revolves around tech (she's mentioned this at other times) I can't imagine what that's like.

She was almost in denial in the segment with Cuddihy.

That's harsh imho. She began with a small segment on NT, grew, now has her own Tech hourly slot.

Always impresses me how she can answer dozens of wide ranging tech questions (when on Pat Kenny).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

I’ve no doubt she has talent, but why not bring on an expert on industrial relations?

• Advertisement

I honestly can't understand what the production team on The Hard Shoulder are about. The show starts a half hour earlier than the other two main news shows on RTE and Today FM, originally this was a smart call to get the news junkies switched onto Newstalk and not switch the dial, basically get a jump on the competition.

But what do they do now? Fill that half hour with a continuation of the previous shows content.

Yesterday he had a long boring segment about straws at McDonald's. I recall one day there was a big news story breaking, Cuddihy mentioned it briefly, and then just carried on with the usual dross.

They don't seem to know if they are a news programme or just a copy of lunchtime live and Moncrief.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 672 ✭✭✭mjsc1970

I hear you. Still would prefer Hard Shoulder over Matt on TodayFM or whoever it is on RTE. For the moment.

A lot if it is white noise to me anyway outside of OTB AM or some Moncrief (which I listen back on podcast)

Some of their other shows aren't even worth a meh (lunchtime live)

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,753 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement