Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Military press limitation

• 22-08-2016 7:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

And maybe a limitation of a Flyefit gym but I'm looking for a workaround for increasing the weight on this lift. I don't feel I can up it much more but I'm finding it increasingly difficult to get the bar up to the starting position. I use the squat rack and place the bar on outside of the safety bars, but it's still quite low down and it's a struggle sometimes to lift the bar to start my set. Don't think there's an alternative but just making sure.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Squat slightly under it in a front squat type position and stand up. Are you trying to take the bar from a too-low position and then half-clean it or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 gasperg

Yeah the bar is at thigh level so it's a half-clean of sorts. Surprised I don't know for sure but I didn't think the slots for the safety bars go up high enough to get into a front squat position? I'm 6ft fwiw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭brownej

If you are using the Squat rack why are you using the safety pins.
    Why not set the bar up as if you are setting up for a squat (maybe slighthly lower)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

You could put the bar up at sternum-ish height, so it's a little bit lower than you'd take it for a squat, rather than down on the safeties.
    Alternatively you could clean the bar off the ground into position. I've actually found that sets me up better for the set for whatever reason, maybe it's makes me activate or focus on my core more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

gasperg wrote: »
    Yeah the bar is at thigh level so it's a half-clean of sorts. Surprised I don't know for sure but I didn't think the slots for the safety bars go up high enough to get into a front squat position? I'm 6ft fwiw.

What? No, lift it out from the rack as though you were about to front squat it. Why are you using the safeties?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

Why are you using a rack at all? I always wonder why people take up a rack for this. Hang Clean the bar into position.

Nate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,676 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Why are you using a rack at all? I always wonder why people take up a rack for this. Hang Clean the bar into position.

Nate

Did you read the OP?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

I.... eh... ok no, I skimmed it. :o

That said, I've always been able to get more weight into the press starting position than I could ever hope to press. I see now that that isn't the same for everybody.

Nate

brownej wrote: »
    If you are using the Squat rack why are you using the safety pins.
    Why not set the bar up as if you are setting up for a squat (maybe slighthly lower)?

I can't press inside the rack as the whole unit doesn't go high enough (I wouldn't be able to fully extend my arms let's say).

Eventually found a photo of the rack if it helps (sorry for the crappy link, can't post them it seems). So even if I was to put the pins at the highest level, it's still too low to get in a front squat position.

scontent.cdninstagram.com/t51.2885-15/s640x640/e15/917121_211081075905407_834856082_n.jpg?ig_cache_key=MTE2MTcxNjg1MTQ1NzAyMTc0NQ%3D%3D.2.l

What? No, lift it out from the rack as though you were about to front squat it. Why are you using the safeties?!

See above!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,671 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

You should be able to front squat the bar from the highest safty position. It might not be fully at rack height but its a nowhere near a full squat. If you can't 1/4 squat your military press weight then you've got other problems too.

Have you actually tried to press inside the cage? That a pretty tall cage. At 6ft you aren't exactly a giant. The bar doesn't travel as high as you might think. Is it the only cage/ack in the place? I thought FlyFit was pretty well equipped.

Failing all of that, learn to power clean.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Reps4jesus

Which flyefit are you in? The Macken st one allows you to put the hooks on the outside of the rack set to whatever height you need. Think they added a couple of similar attachments to 3 or 4 of the racks in Georges st also.

Im 6 foot tall tho and am able to to lock out military press inside the racks in georges st

In the Baggot St one. I've stood inside the rack and tried to press there but couldn't lock out, strange!

I'll try 1/4 squat again and see how that goes. Just felt a bit awkward trying to do that the last time. There are two racks, both the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭granty1987

OR you could change the exercise to a seated MP inside the squat rack? Removes the height issue inside of it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭VonLuck

Mellor wrote: »
    Have you actually tried to press inside the cage? That a pretty tall cage. At 6ft you aren't exactly a giant. The bar doesn't travel as high as you might think. Is it the only cage/ack in the place? I thought FlyFit was pretty well equipped.

I've had issues doing a press inside a rack like that as well. I'm 6'1 and the issue isn't with the bar itself, but the plates. They are pretty much just outside the frame, so any slight movement left or right and the plates will bang off the top cross members. Can be frustrating!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 359 ✭✭Wood

Im 6ft and train there, I can military press inside those racks. Besides, you've a giant mirror in front of you so you don't have to lock it out to know you're at the top of a lift.

Time under tension and all that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,671 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

VonLuck wrote: »
    I've had issues doing a press inside a rack like that as well. I'm 6'1 and the issue isn't with the bar itself, but the plates. They are pretty much just outside the frame, so any slight movement left or right and the plates will bang off the top cross members. Can be frustrating!

The plates might reach that height as they are an extra 9" in height. But they should be well clear of the supports, as there has to be room to rack, plus the sleeve end. If it's tight, it might be a shorter bar.

Regardless of the reason. A few workable options been posted now.

Advertisement