Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

maybe a silly question

• 22-08-2016 7:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭

my neighbor has a 6 year old lab who has been a family pet all his life. im quite fond of the dog and need to buy a hunting dog myself for next year. i was just wondering is there any chance of him becoming a hunting dog or would it be worth the effort?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Eddie B

If it's in him, it's in him. Father got a 6 or 7 year old setter years ago for free. It was a pet, and never seen a gun, nor pheasant. Owned by an ould lad, so might'nt have even seen a field.

He turned out to be a natural, and the only fault he had was that he wouldn't work with other dogs, but that wasn't a big thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭tommyboy26

so i suppose bring him out and let a shot off over his head and see if he is gun shy?

tommyboy26 wrote: »
    so i suppose bring him out and let a shot off over his head and see if he is gun shy?

Id bring him out on the lead, and get a mate to fire a few shots from a distance. Gradually getting closer to the gun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭extremetaz

Eddie B wrote: »
    Id bring him out on the lead, and get a mate to fire a few shots from a distance. Gradually getting closer to the gun.

This!

There's no better way to ruin potential than to let the first shot off right beside him.

The auld boy used to get given dogs from some of the vets he knows (retired Agri-officer), in for destruction because they "wouldn't hunt" on account of this sort of craic. It's a long road back from it, but he turned a few around in his time.

He used to work them into it from a distance with a little starter pistol.

extremetaz wrote: »
    This - no better way to ruin potential than to let the first shot off right beside him.

The auld boy used to get given dogs from some of the vets he knows (retired Agri-officer), in for destruction because they "wouldn't hunt" on account of this sort of craic. It's a long road back from it, but he turned a few around in his time.

He used to work them into it from a distance with a little starter pistol.

I'm confused, are you agreeing or disagreeing with my post? Honest question! Lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭extremetaz

Eddie B wrote: »
    I'm confused, are you agreeing or disagreeing with my post? Honest question! Lol

ah yes, rereading it now I can see why - not very well phrased, shall amend.

I was agreeing with you. :D

Advertisement